Jehovah’s Witnesses sued over sex abuse claims—some 2000 cases to choose from.

by 4rationality 11 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• 4rationality
    4rationality

Divining Liability

Kimberlee Norris began evaluating these cases in July 2002. With some 2000 cases to choose from, Norris and partner Gregory Love came up with a rigid profile of what kind of case and where. Love and Norris decided only to take cases where they could prove the church knew its member was a perpetrator and placed him in a position of authority anyway. Norris said, ”We only take extreme cases where molestation has been reported to the congregation and the organization gives him its blessing by giving him authority.”

As of May 2004, the firm had filed 57 suits across the country.

Best plaintiff’s outcome, it appears-- 9 cases in California, Texas, Oregon, settled/dismissed with prejudice, 2007.

The ‘Firm Overview’ at Love & Norris indicates a different kind of practice, a more profitable direction.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

"As of May 2004, the firm had filed 57 suits across the country."

Are these 57 cases all the cases that are considered extreme out of the 2,000 or are there other extreme cases that they haven't had time or resources to pursue?

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Lawyers are look at pending cases from the perspective of a rainmaker. I understand and respect their strategy of focusing on what are manageable cases. It is their money and resources and it is not an altruistic endeavor - It is all about the money. I say that with respect an honor.

God bless their efforts, may their efforts open the floodgates so that all the cases get a fair hearing.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Those 2000 cases you mention , they were not all related to JW `s , I presume .Correct me if I am wrong.

smiddy

• 4rationality
    4rationality

smiddy,

RE: "all [ie 100%] related to JWs". Not likely. At the time Love & Norris was Silentlambs' go-to firm, so near 100% is reasonable.

• 4rationality
    4rationality

Village Idiot,

If best plaintiff's outcome of 57 suits filed is 9 cases settled-dismissed with prejudice, Love & Norris would probably look elsewhere for business.

• MissFit
    MissFit
    To the OP: So what is your point?
  • zed revisited
    zed revisited

So is 4rationality a JW apologist, or a member of NAMBLA?

zed

• 4rationality
    4rationality

MissFit,

Just a few facts, ma'am. Beyond that, whatever you want the point to be.

• sir82
    sir82

Would a law firm of the size of Love & Norris really have the resources to adequately represent all 2000 JW cases over a 13 year time span?

I dunno, seems reasonable that a law firm, given limitations on its time & resources, would pick the cases it was most likely to win.

The WTS has been extremely judicious in which cases it chooses to settle, and which ones it allows to go to trial.

The WTS, over its existence, has been extremely judicious in which cases it chooses to take the US Supreme Court.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit