Forgiveness--How to Make Peace With Your Past and Get On With Your Life

by blondie 20 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

Dr. Sidney B. Simon and Suzanne Simon

I re-read this book every 9 months or so because forgiveness is an on-going process. I'm constantly coming in contact with people, JWs, non-JWs, ex-JWs that are working through forgiveness regarding some part of their life.

I can't post the book, but here are two segments that summarize part of the points. Remember that this is not the whole book. I highly recommend it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0446515175/qid=1133632906/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/104-3697825-1475961?n=507846&s=books&v=glance

What Forgiveness Is Not

Forgiveness is not forgetting.

By forgiving the people who hurt us, we do not erase painful past experiences from our memory. Nothing we have done so far has been able to turn back the clock and remove the unpleasant incidents from our life history, and forgiveness will not do that, either. We cannot forget, nor should we. Those experiences, and even the pain they caused, have a great deal to teach us, both about not being victimized again and not victimizing others.

Forgiveness is not condoning

. When we forgive, we lessen the past’s impact on our present and future, but this does not alter the fact that the injuries and injustices we experienced were painful and unfair when they occurred originally. By forgiving the people who hurt us, we are not saying that what was done to us was acceptable or unimportant or "not so bad." It was bad. It did hurt. It has made a difference in our life. In fact, true forgiveness cannot occur while we are in any way denying, minimizing, justifying, or condoning the actions that harmed us.

Forgiveness is not absolution

. Many of us who were raised in the Catholic religion regular confessed our sins and then received absolution. We performed whatever penance the priest suggested, and the slate was wiped clean until we next sinned, confessed, and were absolved. Many of us still associate forgiveness with this sort of absolution, but that is not what we are expected to do when we forgive the people, who hurt us. We do not "let them off the hook." We do not want to absolve them of all responsibility for their actions. They are still responsible for what they did and must make their own peace with the past.

What’s more, "I absolve you" are words spoken from atop our mountain of self-righteousness and demonstrate that we have not yet healed our wounds or let go of pain from the past. They let us play God, a benevolent God this time rather than a punitive one, but still a God who judges and then condemns or absolves the sinner. Absolution is just another way to be "one up" on the people who hurt us. An d that is not forgiveness.

Forgiveness is not a form of self-sacrifice

. Forgiveness is not gritting our teeth and tolerating the people who hurt us. Plastering a smile on our face and "making nice" is not forgiving. Forgiveness is not swallowing our true feelings and playing the martyr, saying it’s all right when it is not or getting by somehow in spite of the pain. The "grin and bear it" approach to forgiveness makes life less joyful and more difficult. Actual forgiveness has the opposite effect and cannot be undertaken halfheartedly. We either forgive or we don’t. Being honest about the fact that we are not ready to forgive yet is better for us in the long run than pretending to forgive.

Forgiveness is not a clear-cut, one-time decision

. No matter how sinerely we want to let go of the past and move on with our life, we cannot expect to wake up one morning, think, "Okay, today’s the day I’m going to forgive someone who hurt me," and then blithely do it. We cannot make a five-year plan that designates the first Tuesday of every third month as a forgiveness day or finish reading this book, make a list of people who have hurt us, and systematically forgive them. Forgiveness just doesn’t work that way. It cannot be forced. Forgiveness is what happens naturally as a result of confronting painful past experiences and healing old wounds.

Forgiveness is a way of reaching out

From a bad past and head

Out to a more positive future

—Marie Balter

What Forgiveness Is

Forgiveness is a by-product of an ongoing healing process.

Forgiveness is an internal process.

Forgiveness is a sign of positive self-esteem.

Forgiveness is letting go of the intense emptions attached to incidents from our past.

Forgivness is recognizing that we no longer need our grudges and resentments, our hatred and self-pity.

Forgiveness is no longer wanting to punish the people who hurt us.

Forgiveness is accepting that nothing we do to punish them will heal us.

Forgiveness is freeing up and putt to better use the energy once consumed by holding grudges, harboring resentments, and nursing unhealed wounds.

Forgiveness is moving on (when YOU are ready)

Blondie

• jgnat
    jgnat

Valuable information, Blondie. I'm bookmarking it.

• freedomlover
    freedomlover

great info. blondie, thanks so much. I'm going to print this off and refer to it often.

It's so true how forgiveness is an ongoing process. Thanks again. FreedomLover

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Thanks Blondie, I haven't read a self-help in a while, I'm probably overdue. Looks like a good read.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Thanks Blondie good reading!

Forgiveness is what happens naturally as a result of confronting painful past experiences and healing old wounds.

There is no more wonderful feeling than when you can finally move beyond and finally exhale. It takes a lot of energy to hold on for so long, whatever work you put into forgiving is well worth the effort, for everyone!

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Thanks, Blondie!

I've thought about buying that book. It's good to hear some feedback.

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

Great stuff as usual Blondie.

That stuff you posted made me think of this song. The main hook is all about "forgiveness". I never really "got" the song when I was younger. But now with all the changes and stuff going on in our family it really hits home. I highlighted some of my favorite lines:

Heart of The Matter - Don Henley

I got the call today, I didn’t wanna hear
    But I knew that it would come
    An old, true friend of ours was talkin’ on the phone
    She said you’d found someone
    And I thought of all the bad luck,
    And the struggles we went through
    And how I lost me and you lost you

What are these voices outside love’s open door
    Make us throw off our contentment
    And beg for something more?

I’m learning to live without you now
    But I miss you sometimes
    The more I know, the less I understand
    All the things I thought I knew, I’m learning again
    I’ve been tryin’ to get down
    To the heart of the matter
    But my will gets weak
    And my thoughts seem to scatter
    But I think it’s about forgiveness
    Forgiveness
    Even if, even if you don’t love me anymore

These times are so uncertain
    There’s a yearning undefined
    And people filled with rage
    We all need a little tenderness
    How can love survive in such a graceless age?
    The trust and self-assurance that lead to happiness
    They’re the very things - we kill I guess
    Pride and competition
    Cannot fill these empty arms
    And the work I put between us
    You know it doesn’t keep me warm

I’m learning to live without you now
    But I miss you, baby
    And the more I know, the less I understand
    All the things I thought I’d figured out
    I have to learn again

I’ve been trying to get down
    But everything changes
    And my friends seem to scatter
    Forgiveness
    Even if, even if you don’t love me anymore

There are people in your life who’ve come and gone
    They let you down you know they hurt your pride
    You better put it all behind you baby; life goes on
    You keep carryin’ that anger; it’ll eat you up inside, baby

I’ve been trying to get down
    But my will gets weak
    And my thought seem to scatter
    Forgiveness
    Even if, even if you don’t love me

I’ve been tryin’ to get down
    Because the flesh will get weak
    And the ashes will scatter
    So I’m thinkin’ about forgiveness
    Forgiveness
    Even if, even if you don’t love me
    Forgiveness
    Forgiveness - baby
    Forgiveness
    Forgiveness
    Forgiveness
    Forgiveness
    Even if, you don’t love me anymore

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

I hope Danny Haszard reads this.

(No offense Danny .... you do some great things.)

-ithinkisee

• garybuss
    garybuss

Interesting! My dictionary says condone means to forgive. Condone is a synonym of forgive. I've understood to condone means to forgive. I think I only paid $40.00 for this dictionary.

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

Thanks for that Blondie, that sounds like a book definitely worth buying.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit