What was YOUR childhood dream?

by Golf 39 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Golf
    Golf

Right on 'serendipity.' Paul at 1 Cor. 13:1-8 made it clear that one may have all types of ability's, but he if didn't have LOVE he said, I am nothing!

Golf

• gumby
    gumby

I've never had a goal or dream to be or do anything. Sad...I know. From childhood I never expected to get old and so I never thought into the future. After being out for 10 years ( of the org), I never adopted a dream or goal......other than wishing I knew how life began ...and that goal or dream is futile.

Gumby

• Champion
    Champion

Gumby I was like you. I was so unhappy being a JW but felt I would be destroyed. I sometimes can't even remember what I felt back then. I sometimes wonder what is wrong with me because I don't really have that many memories. By the time I was about 13 or 14 I started smoking pot and stayed self medicated for 10 years. Till I got married and escaped.

I'm 46(first time I've said that on the forum) and am not sure What I Want To Be When I Grow Up! I love to play music(guitar), and I am really creative. I think I would have loved to be a musician or a designer, but better than that I got the "TRUTH".

By the way this is PC I can't get back on under my old name.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

I was very artistic as a child. I could draw, paint, sculpt and was very good at it all. As a freshman and sophomore I was in all the advanced art classes, which at that school wasn't heard of. My art teacher really took me under her wing and helped tutor me on the side. My father never had enough money for the toys I wanted, but he always had money for almost every art supply I wanted. I had a huge portfolio by the time I graduated high school. Which I promptly threw away when I moved out of state. (To this day I kick myself for that...makes me SOOO MAD! I think it was all that JW crap floating in my head that said I was going to be in paradise in a few years and wouldn't need a portfolio.)

But a side love I always had was photography. My father was a photographer, so I was always interested in it and always in front of the camera. As I grew older and after my DFing, the camera was in my hand more and more. I became the unofficial designated family photographer with all my friends and party photographer at all our little events. Almost two years ago, a friend asked me to photograph her wedding as a wedding gift. She loved my work and said I should really consider doing this for a living. I was a little surprised that she thought I was good enough to be a professional. And that's when it dawned on me...that's what I wanted to be when I grew up! And at that moment, Images by Andi was born. I've captured dozens of weddings since then, as well as babies, pregnant women, families, children, dozens of non-profit events and conventions. I love it! So I've finally become what I wanted to be when I grew up. But I just refuse to grow up.

Today I'm working part-time at a design job to make ends meet, but perhaps in two years or so, I'm hoping to do my photography full-time.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I think I was a typical little girl of the 50's. I played house and played with my dolls everyday, and wanted nothing more than to be a wife and mother, and keep house. I got my wish!!

• gumby
    gumby
    I'm 46(first time I've said that on the forum) and am not sure What I Want To Be When I Grow Up! I love to play music(guitar), and I am really creative. I think I would have loved to be a musician or a designer, but better than that I got the "TRUTH".

Hey Champion....sounds like we have alot in common. I sing and play too. Even when I TRY and think of what i'd like to be/do....I have a hard time figuring out just what that might be. I'm 51 and need to figure it out before I'm figuring it out in a rest home with sex crazed old ladies tryin to seduce me

Gumby

• serendipity
    serendipity

Gumby, sounds like your dream is to be a geriatric lothario.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

As far as a job or career goes: When I was in late elementary and then high school, I wanted to be either a forest ranger or airline pilot. These dreams didn't come true mainly because I never persued them. Why? I guess I could say it was due to the environment I was raised in. My mother became a dub when I was 13 and my father would not pay for any education because that would take away from his drinking money. All he thought I should do was get a job in the steel mills when I was old enough. That's what I did. At least I have a decent pension now! And I did spend a lot of time in the woods in my younger years. As far a being a pilot.........I took lessons and got a private pilot license in 1997. Part of a dream come true! Then again, regardless of my environment, it might have never happened anyway.

My other dream was to meet a wonderful girl and live happily everafter. ( I didn't want the constant insanity and fighting that I saw in my own parents lifves.) 90% of the disfunction was because of my mother being a JW. I met that wonderful girl and had a great (with the normal ups and downs) marriage for 27 years until her death in 1996.

My new adult dream (even though I'm not actively persuing it) is to meet another wonderful girl (lady now that I'm getting old) if it is meant to be, and live happily everafter again.

Hey Santa, so you read JWD?

• Golf
    Golf

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts. Some were sad and some were uplifting. It saddens me to read so many being deprived of developing their talents, to me this is a sin and uncalled for.

It is my understanding that grand-ma Moses began painting in her 80's maybe 90's! We still can attain our dreams, maybe not to the fullest, but at least enough to say, hey, I tried and I'm happy. Witnesses have been deprived of a normal life and a happy life. If grandma Moses can do it, so can we!!!!!

Golf

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

To be a singer and/or songwriter. At one point in high school, it was to join the army.

My childhood dream was to be loved. That's still a dream.
    That, too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit