Shocking News!

by Blueblades 38 Replies latest jw friends

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Oh how could I have forgotten the recent tsunami, it was just barely a year ago. And also the latest hurricane all those people losing their homes and livelyhoods and they are still suffering, how horrible in this USofA for people to be suffering like that! Shame! Shocking!

Cowboy, twins! Wow!

I worked for a lady who lived a few miles 15 I think she said from the OK bombing and I'll never forget the look on her face as she told us about it. She had tears running down her face and as far away as she was she felt the blast! I'm sorry you lost your nephew Dave. It was good to see you posting though, hope you and family are doing well.

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

Its not the most I have ever heard but I was shocked:

Nick Lachey and Jessica Simpson SPLIT!

Sure its Hollywood but still-the girl was a virgin people! She did everything by the Book and still didn't "live happily ever after???"

What hope is there for love?!

• atypical
    atypical

1. 911 tops the list by far. I was driving to work when I heard the news. I just turned around and drove home. That night my wife and I stayed up and watched the news and cried.

2. The morning I found out that one of our dear family friends, one of my dad's best friends, an elder well known in our city and even mentioned in a KM, had shot himself in the head in his bedroom. I still reel every time I think about it.

3. The day before I left for pioneer school, I was informed by the elders that I had been accused of attempted murder. Silly and stupid, but that was my very first taste of witness culture gone very, very wrong.

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Diagnosis of severe ulcerative colitis @ age 13 1970 all the stress of puberty in a dysfunctional JW household and now this."Staying Alive Until 1975" My Story of Growing Up JW with Severe Ulcerative Colitis My doctor said:" IBD ulcerative colitis is the worst disease that satan could inflict on a mortal child".Danny'sez,"the only thing worst than a teenage boy with (severe) UC is a girl with it". http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=severe+ulcerative+colitis&btnG=Google+Search google search ulcerative colitis

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

9/11 changed the world, no doubt about it but looking back I think I was most shocked by the events in Dunblane, Scotland in March 1996. I remember sitting in my van crying. I still get choked thinking about it.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Is there something in the human psyke that fails to prioritise the enormity of wrongs ?

The death of JFK passed over me. I was young though and in the UK

911 - horrible and sad, but not an emotional experience for me

The Tsunami and hurricanes - ditto

The newscasts I remember that made me sit bolt upright were the deaths of people who's work I really admired and meant something to me, John Lennon, Otis Redding, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Elvis Presley. Also the death of princess Diana ( For my wife's benefit since I would have tell her) ...... Katrina and the plight of New Orleans was awful but the media had built us up to expect trouble so not such a shock

Is that typical? or am I a heartless so and so , I hope not..

In real life I have mercifully been spared the experiences of some on here. The realisation that the WTS was a sham was a real blow. I just sat at my desk silently mouthing ,over and over, the words "Its not true, its just not true, none of it" . The next thought was that I was not going to live forever and would get old, just like everybody else.

• outnfree
    outnfree

I don't think you're heartless, BluesBrother! I remember all the things bikerchic listed (except it was a nephew dying at 2 and my sister dying at 43 on the homefronts), and I knew Cowboy's sad story, and yet I was really, really upset when John Lennon was assassinated, for example.

My four biggest personal hells to date were the news that my father had died while I was attending school in Switzerland, my own diagnosis of breast cancer (if you think realizing that living forever is a lie and that death awaits us all is a shocker, wait until you have been told you have a life-threatening disease!!!), and, undoubtedly the WORST, 9/11/2001 which even eclipsed my daughter's brain surgery!

Not only did I share in the enormous grief of my entire nation at what was happening, but I watched the events on the TV in a hospital waiting room and was called away from the second tower crash to be told that my then-husband was a ticking time bomb. Four clogged arteries and a miracle he hadn't had a heart attack yet; transfer imminent to a different hospital where open heart surgery would be performed ASAP and I had absolutely NO relatives living in the same part of the country with me!!! And I had DA'd from the "Friends" in March of that same year. Thank God for nice neighbors and newly minted friends!!!!

Then, to make things worse, we had to sit on pins and needles for another TWO days before the surgery was performed because Beaumont was a National Trauma Center and they were only performing emergency surgeries in order to conserve blood that might be needed for the airlifted wounded from the World Trade Center. Sadly, as we later learned, the proportion of "wounded" to "killed" was very low.

In the meantime, my sister-in-law and my mother bravely drove out from Connecticut and New York, respectively, to be with me, but the two of them nearly drove me insane with their "needs" at a time when I needed help with my own!!!

I have never lived through a more stressful week because of the double whammy of national and personal tragedy. I felt more reassured that Lena's brain surgery would be successful, albeit stressful, because of the way everything had unfolded -- I had time to absorb, reflect, plan, ask questions, research, and pray. Her attitude was positive and the whole family was pulling together (even my estranged husband was truly "present" for a change). The thought of losing her to death or impairment was terrifying, I nearly lost it in the hospital about 1/2 way through the 9-1/2 hour surgery (the open-heart surgery was "only" 5 hours) -- and had to escape first to the chapel and then outdoors to ground myself, but at least it wasn't all sprung on me within a couple of hours as it had been on 9/11.

God, I think my blood pressure must be about off the chart just reliving all of these! Time to visit a happier thread! LOL

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    April 19, 1995... The bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City. After I finished my chores that morning, I called my mother just to check in, and she asked if I'd heard about it - she didn't realize that was the building my wife's sister worked in, and where her 18 month old son was in day care. I can say without a doubt that was the most shocking news ever for me. I went directly to my in-laws house, where it was an eternity 'til about 2 pm when we found out for sure my sister-in-law was ok. It was an even longer eternity (4 days) 'til we found out for sure that my nephew had been killed.

((((Cowboy)))) How could I forget that one? I was working at a photography studio that year. It was a small family company and we always had the tele on in the office. That day we didn't for some reason and I remember getting a call from a client telling us to turn it on. I just remember standing there eating a cookie, not being able to swallow. I remember what I was wearing that day too.

Even though OKC was physically close to me, and terribly shocking, I didn't know anyone there. 9/11 was worse for me personally because I worked for Dow Jones at the time. I lost several colleagues to the terrorists hands.

On the other hand, I'd have to say I was shocked when we were in for the first ultrasound of my wife's last pregnancy. The tech was showing us a baby on the screen - see the head... here's a heartbeat, a hand, another hand, a foot, another foot..... then she moved over a bit and said - And here's another head... Yeah, that was a shock alright, but a good one.

That is a shock! I remember feeling that same shock when my mom gave birth to twins. They'd had an ultrasound and it only showed one child. They didn't know there were twins until the day she delivered. Now there's a shock!!!

• serendipity
    serendipity

The discovery that I had a half-sister, who had been passed of as a cousin. Made me realize that my self-righteous mother hadn't always been so righteous.

Some friends ended up in a car accident, with long recuperations for injuries sustained after being thrown from the car. I was shocked because they survived.

I had a good shock when I got my grades after my first semester in college - I made the dean's list and was so happy! That made me eligible for some honor society that I don't even remember the name of now.

My mother hid the extent of my father's illness from us, so we didn't realize until the day before how close to death he was. He died the next day. This may have been the biggest shock of my life so far.

Getting df'd. I had always thought that a person would be df'd for being unrepentent. Silly me. The elders in that congregation obviously could df people because "you should have known better" and "you waited so long to tell us." I was not as shocked when the decision was upheld upon appeal.

As far as world events:

Nixon's impeachment shocked me, as a child and made me realize politicians can't be trusted.

9/11 was shocking and I realized the world has changed forever and we would lose freedom. I had such a visceral, instinctive reaction that I had to leave work and come home to relative safety to be with my daughter.

The Berlin Wall was a shock. I was a new mother at the time, and in my sleep-deprived state, I thought Armageddon would come sooner.

The tsunami was very sad. Katrina and the New Orleans situation made me mad because it was preventable.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Thanks everyone for sharing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit