Hours of work, to get those talks right, and most people were not listening

by free2beme 23 Replies latest jw friends

• anewme
    anewme

I once visited a very scholarly sister who I respected. I asked her how could she, a very smart woman, sit through so many boring meetings? Lovingly she told me to enjoy the meetings more I would benefit from studying for ALL THE TALKS. And she said she actually prepared for all the #3 and #4 talks in case the sister assigned could not. Doing so stimulated her mind and prepared her heart for the material presented. And if the brother or sister did a mediocre job, the pre-study she did made up for it.
    She was amazing! I started to do it too and it worked. I was prepared to take over many sister assignments that way. I kind of developed a method for it.
    And I found that when I gave a talk I remembered the info better. My Bible knowledge increased and to this day I feel very well grounded in the scriptures.

I guess I gave talks for my own benefit!

• Nate Merit
    Nate Merit

Working hard on a sermon, losing sleep, leaping from bed when a powerful point comes to mind, pouring your whole being into delivery of said sermon, only to have most of the congregation stare stupidly and vacantly at you is normal except in pentecostal circles. The pentecostal peeps are much more likely to be paying attention and getting into it.

Nate

• Undecided
    Undecided

My wife's sister was in a "Church of God" church, in the basement Sunday school for the kids, the older people were upstairs praising God and shouting, speaking in tongues etc. and my grandaughter ask her what is that noise(she was about 3) she told her they were praising God, my grandaughter pointed up to the ceiling and said no, it's Indains.

Ken P.

• limbogirl
    limbogirl

sorry to all of you who prepared so well for your talks --- but i pretty much ignored everything you were saying. i would have doodled or read the bible story book but i would get a spanking for those offenses so i just sat there staring at you but not taking in a word. best talk i ever saw --- my dad, an elder at the time was giving a talk which involved one of those lame skits. my mom went on stage and they demonstrated placing magazines at the door. my four year old brother pranced up on the stage about halfway through and started clowning around (my sister and i did nothing to stop him) my dad stops the skit and says, "friends, excuse me for a moment" and then proceeds to spank my brother with the blue truth book in front of the whole cong. i definitely woke up during that one! my mom and my sister tried to put some drama into one of their talks once...my sister pretended she was upset because the "wordly" kids were making fun of her at school (which was actually the truth most of the time) so she pretended to cry and then my mom was supposed to show her from the bible how terrific being persecuted for your beliefs is but instead they ended up bursting out laughing and laughed all the way through the talk. they probably got a "needs improvement" on that one! :)

• dinah
    dinah

I was a whiz at getting talks together. Of course, I'm a sister and ours are so hokey-----why bother. Nobody would listen to us anyway. I used to like to volunteer when the assigned sister didn't show up. It let me think on my feet. I've actually gotten talks together in 10 minutes, of course all us sisters had to do was tie 4 scriptures together-----OH and try to make natural gestures while sitting at a table. Arrggghhhhhhh. That sales meeting, MInistry School is just one of the many things I don't miss.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

sorry...no-one slept through my talks

• Sassy
    Sassy

There was always hours of work being a dub.. maybe it is better if people dont' listen..

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

That is why it is more important to work on enthusiasm and warmth and Sense Stress and Modulation rather than CONTENT. Just my 2 cents

• Sassy
    Sassy

I think that is why to chuck the whole thing and enjoy life

• LDH
    LDH

LOL @ Ken, and Dinah too!

Dinah Welcome!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit