Do you care if DefD stays a JW or not?

by AlmostAtheist 62 Replies latest jw friends

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Defd/Derrick is a current-JW posting on this board. He's been on for quite some time now, maybe not a year, but awhile. Many have tried to show him the many ways the Watchtower doesn't live up to its claim of being God's organization, but he seems unflappable.

So where do you stand on him now? Do you WISH he'd get out of JW's? If so, why?

I've been thinking alot about this. Derrick has pretty much thumbed his nose at the edicts of the Watchtower:

• "Don't visit apostate sites - Yet here he is
    • "Don't associate with disfellowshipped people" - Yet he does, both online and on the phone
    • "Make disciples" - Yet he avoids the ministry and doesn't make any real attempts to convert anyone to JWism
    • "Elders are appointed by holy spirit" - but he has publicly acknowledged he knows some are appointed undeservingly.
    • "Disfellowshipped people are spiritually dead" - but he admits some were DF'd for no good reason
    • "Attend all the meetings" - but he gives the impression here that he and his family are not regular attenders

Let's face it -- DefD isn't really a JW anymore. Can he truly be seen to be "wasting his life" as a JW, like so many of us did?

• If a doctor told him his child needed a blood transfusion, do you REALLY think he'd say "No thanks, I'm a JW"?
    • Do you really think he's going to encourage his children to say No to college, in favor of a fulfilling career as a window-washer?
    • If he's offered a promotion, but it impinges on meeting nights, do you really think he'd turn it down?

No, I don't think so either.

So maybe there's no need to de-convert him at all?

Dave

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

He's just role playing on here...it's fun and he knows he can get under some people's skin and so he posts his irritating little comments and laughs his a$$ off!!!. And we all sit back and watch the fireworks!!! So much more intersting than the meetings!!!

Swalker (you're not fooling me Defd!!!)

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Defd is a JW??

I'm stunned. He didn't strike me as the type...

J

• Enigma One
    Enigma One

Hey...I'm not a Def'd fan to be sure. But to start a thread specifically to "attack" another poster seems a bit over the top. Dave...all the points you have made are valid questions / issues. But would you want someone to gather up all your posts and formulate a thread?

Am I over-reacting? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

EnigmaOne. I didn't see this as an attack but more of a statement of the obvious. Defd, by his presence here, is slowly losing his JWism. If more Witnesses follow in his footsteps, the Society would have fewer, and fewer "true" believers and the org would die.

So, does it matter if he, or any other JW posting here, continues to claim JW status? Not really... What matters is that they are finding us and leaving the org on a mental level. Physical will come in time.

J

• pennycandy
    pennycandy

Defd has had plenty of threads specifically about him. I rather think he enjoys them as long as they're sincere.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    But to start a thread specifically to "attack" another poster seems a bit over the top. Dave...all the points you have made are valid questions / issues.

Hmmmm.... Maybe this WAS too much...

It truly isn't meant as an attack. More of a realization. I really like Derrick, and it bugs me to death that he's seeing it all in front of him, but he's not LOOKING at it. But it dawned on me the other day that maybe he doesn't need to look at it. Maybe he's already where he needs to be. He's taken his life back -- or never truly handed it over -- and he's fine. Whether he carries a bookbag to church or not, he's just a more-or-less-freethinking Christian.

At least that's where I see him now. And I was looking for confirmation/disagreement from those that know him.

But perhaps you're right, and it was an attack. If so, DefD, I apologize. Not meant as an attack, Buddy, just an observation.

But would you want someone to gather up all your posts and formulate a thread?

Hell no! Um, I mean, well... MAYBE! (Honestly, if somebody cared enough about me to bother with that, I'd be impressed. No matter the motive.)

Dave

• Honesty
    Honesty

I say you are probably correct, Dave. Derrick has been on here so long that he's become one of us. Think about it.... he teases some of us; he shows genuine concern for all of us; he tells us things that are important to him and listens when we do the same.

Yep, Derrick is definitely on the one-way train out of Dubville right along with the rest of us.

• gringojj
    gringojj

One of the big sayings is "by their fruits you will know them".

In such a short period of time, Defd has accrued a massive 1600 posts, almost 6 posts per day average, on a forum dominated by "apostates", ex-jws, and other opponents of the WTS.

Sounds like juicy fruits to me.

I like to have Defd here defending the JW religion. His replies and the logic he applies to them show me just how undefendible the whole religion is. So I want him to stay a JW, I just hope he doesnt find a debate he can win.

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

I don't come to this forum to de-convert anyone. People have to de-convert themselves.

Truth, like life, usually finds a way .....

Pope

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit