RANDOM WINE SUGGESTIONS- AUSTALIAN OR NEW ZEALAND...

by stillconcerned 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

Yes you're right.Wine drinking is seriously undermining our hard fought for beer culture here.
    Until recently I spent the last few years going in and out of Queenstown/Central Otago and through the vineyards there.There are literally hundreds and growing.(Along with Marlborough.)I don't know if there is any cost effective way to get wine over to you in the US, but let me know if you want something special and I'll try and find it.
    Pete

• kiddotan
    kiddotan
    Wine drinking is seriously undermining our hard fought for beer culture here.

Yeap, but us ex-pat kiwis have to drink something, don't get any of the 'good' kiwi beer outside. (sigh) don't even think i can remember the taste.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I like Evans & Tate wines from Margaret River.
    There is a delicious Pinot Noir from Ninth Island Tasmania
    At the cheaper end of town and easy to find is Wyndham Estate Bin 444 Cab Sav, very popular with the Bros and Sis in my old cong.

• stillconcerned
    stillconcerned

who hooooo!!!

Kiwis comin' outa the woodwork!

Thanks Pete, Tan and aussies, ESPECIALLY for the web addys so as to see re ordering the good stuff.

Any other great wine suggestions?

kimberlee d.

• misspeaches
    misspeaches
    The world's greatest red is from the Margaret River but you can't buy it in the stores ....sorry, stillconcerned.....it's a private bin brew and only available by mail order.

But if you are really keen to try something from Margaret River you could try here...

http://www.au.lastminute.com/lmn/pso/catalog/Product.jhtml?PRODID=424493072&CATID=813

• stillconcerned
    stillconcerned

thanks MissPeaches...!

• Jourles
    Jourles

Heh, I recently picked up a few bottles from a local shop that came from down under. The prices were surprising for the outstanding quality. The shop owner is really good - he specializes in finding inexpensive but high quality bottles.

• Selaks 2005 Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough $16
    • Oyster Bay 2005 Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough $13
    • Wishing Tree 2004 Shiraz West-South Australia(blend) $11

My notes show Selaks tasting of grapefruit and some other citrus(twinge of lemon maybe?) and a little bit of green apple?

Oyster Bay was a bit tart for me(hey, it's a SB, what do you expect?). Lemon-lime with a green apple finish. Was a bit more tart than Selaks.

Wishing Tree is a real winner. Ripe cherry, something else I couldn't identify(plum maybe?), and a hint of peppercorn. I will be going back to pick up a few more of these.

I've heard that the 2005 SB's are really good this year and that Marlborough is probably the leading region. Pinot Noir's are getting good reports from Marlborough as well along with Central Otago. But as with almost all Pinot's, finding a good buy on a quality bottle is near impossible. All of the good one's typically demand $30 and higher.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    Australian ones i like: Penfolds shiraz is yum. Devil's lair fifth leg red and Devil's lair Chardonnay

Penfolds is one of those 'very safe' wines.

Devils Lair? - yessir, it's the label of favour at the Apostates Restaurant - take note, jwfacts!! We'll try a bottle or two on the weekend, eh?

Over the years I've reviewed a number of labels I've tried. I'll try and Google them up.

Problem is that our best is not always available in Europe or USA/Canada. Shame about that.

• City Fan
    City Fan

My fave white at the moment is New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc.

The best red I've had recently was an Ozzie Jack Mann Shiraz. It was absolutely wonderful.

• under74
    under74

Australian or New Zealand?? Try Washington State wine! Sageland and Silver Lake are the best. Sageland also has an amazing winery and tasting room outside of Yakima, Washington with the nicest people....I got a whole lot of tastes for free!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit