But for the Grace of God, Go I

by TopHat 6 Replies latest jw friends

• TopHat
    TopHat

I drove to the grocery store to buy some badly needed dishwashing detergent and doggie treats and a few more things. It's warm and drizzling out so got there and bought my stuff, walked to the car with my head down, put the bags in the back seat of my unlocked car. Just has I had sat down behind the drivers wheel and pulled the door close, two people one male one female popped up outside my window with a worried look on their face looking straight at me. I frist thought was I had dropped something and they were there to give it back. No that wasn't it. He said his car broke down and he didn't have his wallet with him and he needed yada yda yda......well at this point I was thinking I can't give this guy and women a ride cause they really had that bum look of alcoholics and I don't know them and why in the hell didn't I lock the doors as soon as I got in the car. OK, maybe they read my face. So the women repeated everything the guy said with as innocent a look as she could give me. Then he ask for a couple of bucks for gas and said if I gave him my address he would send the money to me once he got home and then he showed me his address on his cellphone. (Yea! Sure!) Well, knowing it was a lie but thinking how they have to bag for a few bucks..I said OK and locked the doors and rolled the window up a little more before reaching for my purse and gave them 2 bucks like they ask. They said their Thank yous and were on their way out of the parking lot in the opposite direction of where they said their car was located. So the reason for the tiltle on this post?...I felt sorry for them and hope I never have to bag for a living.

• carla
    carla

A friend of mine had a similar situation. A guy gave this long sob story and needed gas could she give him some money? She said she would be happy to fill his tank as the gas station was in the next parking lot. Well, now the vehicle isn't there, his buddy has it to get a few groceries. She says, 'I'd be happy to wait', he says,' that's not necessary, and doesn't want to take up her time'. She goes on how it is really no problem. Needless to say he disappeared shortly thereafter.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I've done the same but sometimes I've said no.

On Thanksgiving my family went to my husband's aunt's house. One of my husband's cousin's asked my husband for money. He wanted $40 for a motel room. Then he wanted $30, then $20, when he got to $15 it was so he could stay at a friend's house. My husband played it cool, even when his cousin would walk and say "hey cuz" and pat him on the shoulder with a wink. At one point the cousin even asked where did we lived and what was our address. My husband never did give him any money nor did he give out any information. We talked about it on the way home and my husband told me that his cousin has problems with drugs, drinking, and is a known thief. The last time one of the cousins told this cousin (who's name is Derrick) where they lived he came over and they caught him stealing from their house. And my husband knew that what ever money his cousin could get from him was either going to be used for booze or more likely for drugs.

• TopHat
    TopHat

I had read on this board about the Witness family that was killed by a gang comng back from the convention. Usually I leave my car doors unlocked and the keys in the ignition in the driveway (weren't we just talking about that on another thread)...well, well, well, I got just a little bit paranoid and took the keys out and locked the doors before comng in the house. Can we say WAKE-UP Call!

• mouthy
    mouthy

Yes it is really ripe at this time of the Year ... I only give 2.00 bucks-- I figure they will use it for drugs-but How do I know???? at least they can get a cup of coffee with it if need be..

• TopHat
    TopHat

Yep! mouthy, I was a good target to....my car was parked way out at the end of the parking lot and a van was parked on the other side of me. If they had wanted to put a gun to my head and take the car...it would have been easy. SCARY!! I will certinly be more awear of my surroundings next time I go out.

• Honesty
    Honesty

I feel bad for people down on their luck, too and try to help them by going into the grocery store and getting them groceries or going to get them gas in a can at a gas station, etc., but do not give them money.

I had read on this board about the Witness family that was killed by a gang comng back from the convention.

They approached a group of Goth teenagers and proceeded to share the WT 'Good News' with them. The teenagers took advantage of their gullibility (he was from Bergen, Norway and she was of Honduran extract and were somewhat naive when it came to recognising potential harmful individuals), abducted them, took them a few miles away from an interstate rest area in NE Tennessee, shot them and were caught several days later at the US/Mexico border in Douglas, AZ. None of this would probably have happened to the JW family if they had been properly trained in the art of safe and effective proselytising by the JW cult. A lot of churches have extensive training programs that teach safe and effective sharing of the Gospel. Too bad all the WTBTS cares about is placements and hours to impress the uneducated and deceived.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit