"You can't handle the truth!"

(Jack Nicholson-All Good Men)

In some ways very true.

• Honesty
    Honesty

What is Truth?

• ringo5
    ringo5

I really just don't want any more lies...

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    "What is truth?" - Pontius Pilate

i actually liked your write up there Q. but's "true" what dan asks, "why are the two mutually exclusive?"...

and really, what is truth? we all assume that there is some higher truth out there, but what if there is no truth at all? but rather a universe of light and dark. and no, light is not better than dark...

dark is just as "true" as light.

ts

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

I really just don't want any more lies... Well said ringo, that's the way I see it. I am not certain that there is truth in a spiritual sense anymore, and I'm not looking for it anyway, so I guess you could say that no, I don,t really want the truth, just a quiet, peaceful life.

• gumby
    gumby
    I really just don't want any more lies... Well said ringo, that's the way I see it. I am not certain that there is truth in a spiritual sense anymore, and I'm not looking for it anyway, so I guess you could say that no, I don,t really want the truth, just a quiet, peaceful life.

Haven't you sicko bastards ever read the book called "There is Much More to Life" by the WTBTS fer christs sake? Seriously, you are "satisfied" with just being complacent and waitin till you get old and die and are happy till that gets here without really anything new? You assume all learnings in your future "might" be a lie so you don't want to hear anymore....."just leave me alone please"......is that what you two are saying? If so, that's cool for you....but I'm still the poor worried bastard that don't think that way. Gumby

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

Gumby,

Actually I don't assume that anything I might learn in the future will be a lie, I acknowledge that there may be truth out there, but I would take a lot of convincing after the years of bs in the wt.

• IronGland
    IronGland
    Maybe , just maybe we have no real interest in actual truth but have a far deeper psychological goal of simply re-inforcing our self belief that we are indeed perceiving the world correctly.

"maybe, just maybe??" There are some who believe a 19th century american put some gravel in his hat and found the word of God but then lost the gravel but take his word for it. I imagine such beliefs require constant reinforcement.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I've found that some people state their views because they ARE their views. They don't WANT to discuss them, have them challenged, have any logical holes in them pointed out. They just want to "testify", as it were.

Others genuinely would appreciate someone coming along and bursting their bubble, since they weren't "testifying", they were stating a currently-held opinion and were inviting comment.

And then there's all the flavors in between. And everyone plays all the roles from time to time.

But here's the real kick in the pants: You never know when someone is inviting comment or not. So you offer a comment, and they come back like a rabid dog attacking you. You're like, "WTF?" But from their perspective, they just showed you their pretty new dress and you told them it was ugly. With some people, it's always "chew me up and spit me out, I enjoy it" and with others it's always "shut up, or tell me you love me". But until you know where you stand, you're just shooting blind and hoping for the best.

Dave

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

I really like to see what other people think and the ideas they have. It makes life so much more interesting. Since leaving the JW's it's been fun to sift through all different kinds of ideas and pick and choose which ones I like. It's like...I think I'll have 2 of those Bible verses and 1 of those evolution theories, throw in a few of those anti-cult ideas, and put those out dated sex sermons back on the shelf. I don't know what I'll end up as, but it sure isn't going to be BORING!!!

Swalker

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit