I Let Go Of Faith Ten years Ago Today

by cofty 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

As a born-in and in for decades, it was distressing to me to discover that my whole world-view was wrong. 

More distressing was that I had been lied to all that time by people who told me that they gave me the Truth.

But from the moment I walked away from the Kingdom Hall, knowing I would never return, I felt a real freedom and a real sense of peace.

When I finally realised that there was no God I felt even more at peace, so much Cognitive Dissonance was ditched.

I am so happy now to be able to learn so much, and to be able to set my own moral compass, the resulting Code being much, much higher in its quality that that of the Bible etc

I am free now to drink the pure waters of truth that Science gives us, and to appreciate this wonderful Planet, and all the wonderful people that live here.

I appreciate the stunning beauty of our environment, and of people, far more than I ever did in my former life.

Life as a Realist Non-Theist is very good.

• erbie
    erbie

Though I am not a religious man myself I find it extraordinary that you should lose your faith over a natural disaster. It appears to me to show a lack of maturity to throw ones teddy in the corner because God has been unkind by sending a tsunami to cause havoc on Boxing Day. After all, natural disasters are part of Earth's history and it will continue to be so.

I watched my mother die very slowly of cancer and it has had a permanent effect on me but although I do believe in a creator I wouldn't say I blame God for the many afflictions the human race is forced to endure.

I rather suspect that your loss of faith was due to a collective body of things that had accumulated over some time. Certainly the Watchtower has had its effect on all of us which doesn't help at all because it fills people's heads with idealistic ideas among other things.

Nowadays, I have a much more pragmatic approach to life.

I wish you well Cofty.

• sunny23
    sunny23

First, thank you cofty for all of your contributions here. It had most definitely changed my outlook on life! 

Erbie, before you generalize, make assumptions, and judge Cofty for his reasons on dismissing the Christian God over the Boxing Day tsunami you should read at least 155 pages of the thread Cofty started tackling this topic solely:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/269000/pastor-my-old-church-tried-re-convert-me-yesterday

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

February, 1982 for me. It took a while for it all to sink in, although as someone else said on this thread, it was anticlimactic when it did. I've never come at it as intellectually or intelligently as you Cofty, which makes me appreciate all the more the information you share with us. I am sad that this is the only life, sometimes, but wishing doesn't change anything. Facing that truth does make me try to slow down and get the most out of the moments I have.

• cofty
    cofty

Thank you for the feedback and for sharing your personal experiences.

So many of the misconceptions about life without god are based on fear. I now have a close personal relationship with reality that is exhilarating. I read an article a few weeks ago on some research that seemed to support the idea that atheism reflects a higher level of emotional maturity. It was very compelling, but since it appealed to my ego I should be cautious.

Erbie - As I said in my OP, the tsunami was "the final nail in the coffin of my relationship with god". It was part of process. I spent the next few months listening carefully to the response of fellow christians and to the ramblings of theologians and religious leaders. They were all vacuous. 

It is often said that nobody can prove there is no god. I disagree. As long as somebody is prepared to define what they mean by god it can be shown that he/she is an impossibility. The Asian tsunami - or any other example of "natural evil" - proves beyond all reasonable doubt that the god of christian theism does not exist.

You may want to read the thread to see how that argument is developed.

• cantleave
    cantleave
    10 years ago I was serving as an elder becoming more and more disillusioned with my life as a JW. Interestingly there was a sister in our congregation  who was on holiday when the tsunami struck, she survived but I think it was the last straw for her. Her husband and her converted in the late 90's he died in a motorcycle accident in 2002. The congregation never appeared to be particularly supportive after his death, just the usual platitudes. By the time I left in 2009 she had faded and was eventually DF'd for smoking. 
  • KateWild
    KateWild
    It was very compelling, but since it appealed to my ego I should be cautious.- cofty

This is very humble of you to admit. I have heard many atheist's think they are superior due to being atheist and find it very arrogant. 

I just cannot accept right now that there is no creator. I have read a great deal of evolution but it does not answer my question about enantionmers, the soai reaction is the closest but still does not satisfy my questions. I feel the process is guided.

Kate xx

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

The Asian Tsunami cost me five dear friends life. What i learnt from it was that in spite of everything God could live on inside the humun heart.  It is only by my accepting the faith of those who  lost our shared friends, that we can come together and share a table this boxing day.

I am amased that event was 10 years ago,and i think i would be an egghead to tell people i do share their faith, that the God they worship is only a fairy tale, a bedtime story. If there were a God he would have intervened.

My athiest logic is not a belivers logic.

Happy New Year Cofty & and your many threads helped me question my faith.

• LV101
    LV101

Ditto for your being here, Cofty -- was relieved when I noticed your name.  We've all learned so very much from you.  Have to say how much I appreciate your distressing statements about losing faith -- (I'd missed any previous reference you've made and sized it up to personal weakness and desire which is true) that's the worse feeling.  Walking away from the cult was easy and a great relief in comparison.  Doubting God/Jesus is not good on a sleepless night!  I've always had my doubts since a child with all the family problems/Baptist Church promises, etc., but to walk away from the God hope allowing science to creep in is pure grief.  More grief trying to be in a cult, however!  

I admit for a long time I'd peek at Cantleave and your posts and had to build up strength to really take the content in.  I would have to find one of the posts by Tammy to read before I could go into a slumber -- or on your posts where you were quoting scripture debating interpretation although few in number compared to your normal posts.  BTW, those make me feel good!   

In the words of Bob Newhart, "I make a motion that we all accept reality."  As you've indicated previously, reality is better in the long run and proved true in other areas of my life - extremely difficult but works for the good.  

Thank you for taking time to help educate/protect us with scientific viewpoints and recommended materials.  You seriously need to teach courses in the public education system so humanoids are able to make a logical, educated, decision.  

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit