Would God really bother with such insignificance ?

by Simon 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

There is a program on here at the moment called 'space' and last week was about the sheer number of stars. For each grain of sand on every beach on the planet there are millions or billions of stars.

If there was a God, that would make us smaller than something minescule sat on an atom. And yet they claim that he 'sent his firstborn son to die for us' (who incidentally created all this?).

I just don't buy it.

An interesting side note is that whatever 'unbelievable odds' you put against life evolving. The sheer number of stars & planets means that other life is not just likely... it's inevitable!

Glad I'm Zaphod Beeblebox or else my own insignificance would fry my brain.

• ChuckD
    ChuckD

Let's take it further - if God did happen to pay some attention to this tiny dust mote, would he get his knickers all in a twist if one of its 6 Billion inhabitants wanted to grow a beard? Or, might he have more important things to worry about, like keeping Plank's constant.

• Simon
    Simon

yes... if you have a real sense of persepctive then nothing at all matters, least of all some silly rules.

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

Then how did the planets get here? Hw did the stars get here? And if you say some type of gas etc.., then how did that get here? Explain gravity. I think evolution is an excuse to not have to conform, worship or belive in a higher power.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Or even, would god get his knickers in a twist over one person eating an apple?

:)

What Goes Up Must Come Down

• teejay
    teejay

Interesting program, Simon.

I remember when I saw http://oposite.stsci.edu/pubinfo/PR/96/01/HDF.html). The telescope focused on a part of the night sky that was so small it "covers a speck of the sky only about the width of a dime located 75 feet away." The photo captured at least 1500 galaxies!

There was a PBS (public television) program late one night, and when the picture came on the screen, it was so awesome I nearly cried. There HAS TO BE life elsewhere.

tj

• Simon
    Simon

Planets and stars form by natural processes. How did YOU get here? A natural process involving your parents... nothing supernatural required.

It's not an excuse. In fact, believing that a God can 'put right anything' allows people to do 'anything' whereas those that understand that life is precious tend to value it more.

• Simon
    Simon

... and if you want an explanation on how anything got here then please explain how God got here ?!

• Simon
    Simon

wow... awesome pic teejay - thanks for the link

• mommy
    mommy

I remember when I was a christian I was comforted by the scripture that said he had every hair on our head numbered. But, looking back WOW! How many people here and he has all of the hairs of our head numbered. Kinda makes you wonder why he doesn't throw some food to the starving children. Surely a god that is that powerful has a miracle or two up his sleeve.
    wendy(willing to relocate to any galaxy)

In a controversy the instant we feel anger, we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit