Nasal Surgery

by Alana 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Alana
    Alana

I had a septoplasty, turbinate shaving, & removal of a nasal bone spur this last Monday. I almost posted that I was going to have a procedure and ask that you all keep me in your thoughts.....but, thought that compared to what some here are going through, that this would be nothing at all. Has anyone here had similar surgery? I am absolutely miserable. I can't describe the pain at times. I have had to already have a refill of pain meds, when most likely by this time some are not even taking them. I couldn't sleep at first....and still can't without meds. Then just a while ago I woke up feeling like I was suffocating.....due to open mouth breathing, I felt like a goldfish in the Sahara.....my mouth, nose, & eyes were completely dry. The splints in my nose felt like butter knives in a rock and I couldn't breath. Boy was that ever a scary feeling!! Anyway, I don't mean to complain, but I was just wondering if anyone else has had anything similar with them. When I called the Patient Advisory Nurse, they were concerned, but stated that this can happen sometimes. I get the splints out on Monday....thank God.....so maybe it will feel better then.........Thank you for listening......

• prophecor
  • bull01lay
    bull01lay

Hi Alana,

My sympathies go to you - I've been there, and it really isn't pleasant. Hope the pain subsides soon...

Got to go there again soon too - March next year - I've got a blocked tear duct that keeps getting infected, so they're gonna break the bone between my nose and eye and put a new tube through, and they're gonna remove some polyps from my nasal cavity at the same time.

Last op I had - they had to take some bone away from my jaw and graft it under my nose, and move the top jaw forward 5 mm... but the pain from that felt like nothing compared the pain from my nose where they trimmed the bone and scraped the linings !!!

btw.... none of this was cosmetic surgery - I had TMJ syndrome, so needed the op.

Take care, and plenty of pain killers too !!

Bull!

• david_10
    david_10

I've never heard of septoplasty, so I looked it up. Ohhhhhhhhhhh, I can't even imagine how painful that must be. Take care, Alana, and I hope you have a speedy recovery.

David

• ellderwho
    ellderwho

Alana,

I truely feel your pain. Nasal surgery for me was absolutely dreadful.(80% blockage) I had a deviated septum repair which left sutures all along the inside of my nose, and nasal scraping. The first three nights I slept in a "lazyboy" type chair, and breathed through my mouth, which became very dry as you know. I aslo used a nasal spray and percocet for pain.

My doctor was "oldschool" so he felt the nasal blocks should be in for five days. Sorry to inform you, but the real pain comes when the blocks are removed. However after the initial cleaning after the removal I felt light headed because I could finally breath.

I guess the pain and suffering were worth it. I felt so much better.

Btw there's a nasal rinse kit that is very, very helpful. USE IT. I was prescribed Penarsris. Its an emollient that loosens the residue and scabs that are sometimes painful to extract. Put those drops in your nose and ten minutes later use the nasal rinse kit.

Here on the east coast these nasal rinse kits are not popular. There very popular on the west coast. Thats where you will order refill packets from.

Good luck, pm me if you want.

Randy

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

((((((Alana)))))))

Ooooh, I'm so sorry. A friend of mine had septoplasty a few years ago, along with shaving. She has told me, compared to childbirth, she'd rather go through childbirth again. Her surgery was terribly painful. But she did say she didn't regret it, she's been able to breathe for the first time since she was a kid. Even her voice is different now because it's not so nasally. She always sounded stuffed up, even when she wasn't ill. That and the fact that she's getting decent sleep now too. She said she's much happier now.

Just hang in there...it'll get better!!!

Andi

• ocelot
    ocelot

Crap im having something like this in 48 hours, you can never get doctors to tell you how much of a pain it wil be, it doesn't sond like much fun.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

I feel for you. I had the deviated septum repair done a number of years ago - my sister had polyps removed so she gave me a play by play of pain so I knew what to expect. I spent 3 days in the hospital - and it was not good! A scary feeling not being able to breathe - you have the packing taped up into your nose so you try to breathe through the mouth and that hurts because it dry and your throat is swollen from the tubing. I was sick for the first few days and starving so I tried to eat some spaghetti on day 2 - not a good idea since it made me sick to my stomach which in turn made my cavities bleed and then I had to have some packing and tape adjustment...I passed on the sleeping pill at night and the pain med the first day but screamed for them after that. The worst part for me wasnt' have the tubing removed - it was getting it scraped a week after..I never felt such incredible pain - was off work 3 weeks but boy was it great to breathe!!!! BTW - this is samswife posting..

• Sirona
    Sirona

So sorry and I understand.

I had biopsies of the nasal area (to investigate for possible cancer spread). They moved the palate of my mouth to get to it and afterwards I developed a severe infection. It was the worst thing I've ever had to go through. The first nights I had to sit up all night sucking ice (the only thing which gave a smidgen of relief) because I couldn't lie down - when I lay down I couldn't breathe cos my throat closed up.

(((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))))))))

Hang in there, it will be better and just a blip on the horizon of your life.

Love

Sirona

• Gadget
    Gadget

I'm sitting here cringing reading this, I'm due to see a consultant to have this done!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit