Mention of Jehovah's Witnesses in popular entertainment

by enderby 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

I remembered a good deal of those already mentioned and I'll show some of my crassness and utter lack of taste with another that was on "Married with Children". Things were terrible as usual for Al Bundy, and when the doorbell rang he got up off the sofa, picked up a baseball bat and heading to the door said "I hope thats a Jehovah's Witness".

• blondie
    blondie

When you woke up this morning Did you feel like hell? Did you think that some Jehovah's Witness Was a-ringing your bell? Did you think you were in Babylon? Did you take a good look around? Ordid you stick your head out the window And find you could not make a sound...?

the Rutles?

Joanie, The Jehovah's Witness Stripper

http://www.paulthorn.com/music/shortstreet.html

http://www.houstonjones.com/cds_and_samples_hojo_mojo.htm

The Good Faith, play

http://www.lamama.org/ArchivesFolder/2003/THEGOODFAITH.htm

Another highlight for me is "Promises, Promises," in which Elliott complains about a Jehovah's Witness at the door ("Was waitin' for the pizza man just mindin' my business/When up to the door comes a Jehovah's Witness/He said, 'Are you ready for the coming of Jesus?'/I said, 'No, I'm just waitin' for a pepperoni pizza'").

http://www.rambles.net/elliott_ufo05.html

• Michael3000
    Michael3000

In the beginning of the Chris Tucker movie, "Friday". Jehovahs witnesses are ringing the door bell and ringing the door bell finally when the door is answered and they say their not interested the angry JW says "Well, F_CK you then!" And that lady was played by LaWanda Page (real name Amanda Peal) who played Aunt Esther on Sanford & Son. May she rest in peace.

• Jourles
    Jourles

In Showtime with Eddie Murphy and Robert De Niro, Eddie is standing outside of De Niro's apartment and says, "Now why you wanna leave me standing out here like a Jehovah's Witness?"

On a South Park episode where Cartman turns preacher, one of the guys from the crowd says he's a JW and another guy says, "Nope, sorry. Another religion that's wrong."

• twinflame
    twinflame

There's a new series called Threshold. An episode a month of so ago had something like this:

"We've got to lock up the aliens. They are trying to convert everyone." (words to that affect)

"So are Jehovah's Witnesses and we're not locking them up."

• undercover
    undercover

Just this past week on "Inside the NFL" on HBO the guest comdeian was Lewis Black (who is absolutely hilarious if you've never seen him).

They were showing highlight clips of certain games (more of the stupid stuff than actual footage) when they showed the spectator who ran on the field and stole the ball from Bret Favre of the Packers.

Black is in full diatribe about the sorriness of the Packers when they show that clip and he says something about the Packers being so bad that they allow Jehovah's Witnesses to run on the field and steal the football.

• undercover
    undercover

There's the Kevin Costner movie "A Perfect World" where he's an escaped convict and he kidnaps a JW kid and takes him hostage. As the movie progresses the JW boy and Costner form a bond of sorts and Costner steals the kid a Halloween costume so he can go trick or treating since his mother wouldn't let him.

• Mastodon
    Mastodon

In the 80's HBO had a news/comedy show called "Not Necessarily the News". I remember they had a skit where we see Michael Jackson's back (with the studded, red leather jacket, the jerri curl and the sparkly glove), knocking someone's door. The homeowner opens the door and freaks out (went something like this):
    homeowner: "Michael Jackson in my house! I can't believe it! We love you in our house! Why do you honor us with your presence?"
    MJ: "Good morning sir" holds up a Watchtower and Awake combo, "can we interest you in the Watchtower..."
    Homeowner: "Go to hell!!!" And slams the door.
    Funny as shit.

In the Comedy Central show "Reno 911" a couple of policemen see a pair of dubbies walking down the sidewalk (short sleeved shirts, ties and bookbags) and the cops rush them with guns drawn. They tell the dubbies to drop to the ground with their hands stretched in front of them. The cops say that they are looking for two burglars that are roaming around the neighborhood dressed in short sleeved shirts and ties. The dubbies say taht they're just JW's preaching door to door. The cops ripped the book bags from the dubbies and spill all the magazines and bibles on the ground.
    The cops, after seeing the literature, apologized to the dubs, saying that they were wrong. When the officers get back in the patrol car, they turn to the camera (the show is filmed as a documentary) and said: "We knew they were Jehovah's Witnesses. We love messing with them".

• katydid
    katydid

There are a few well-known JW professional athletes today so I won't mention them, but past athletes included Lou Whitaker, longtime 2nd baseman for the Detroit Tigers, Sam Perkins, longtime NBA player, and NFL defensive end Art Still who played for Kansas City and Buffalo (I played floor hockey with him a few times).

Prince of course is now Brother Nelson and Larry Graham, bass player, is famous for studying with him. Popular latin singer Selena was a JW. Prolific author Mickey Spillane was a JW. "Ike" Eisenhower's mother was a JW. Patti Smith and Roy Harper were raised JWs. Less then a decade ago Michael Jackson gave an interview to TV Guide and said he still put in pioneer hours distributing the Watchtower and went door to door in costume.

Of course Johnny Carson would joke about JWs, and Jay Leno still does on the Tonight Show. Rodney Dangerfield had a great joke: "I get no respect. Jehovah's Witnesses come to my door and they tell me THEY'RE not interested!"

This webpage provides a listing of some famous people who have been affiliated with JWs, though the list is far from complete: http://www.adherents.com/largecom/fam_jw.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit