Mention of Jehovah's Witnesses in popular entertainment

by enderby 38 Replies latest jw friends

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Billy Crystal was in some movie, I can't remember what it was, where his buddy asks him what he's doing, when it should have been obvious. Crystal says "What does it look like I'm doing, selling the Watchtower??"

And of course the Clint Eastwood/Kevin Costner flick A Perfect World.

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy

Designing Women:
    Suzanne is complaining about Julia, "She's always telling me what I can and can't do. Like, shooting warning shots over the heads of those Jehovah Witnesses who knock on my door."

Golden Girls:Very late one night, someone rings the door bell. Rose asks, "I wonder who that could be?"
    Dorothy answers, "Its a Jehovah's Witness with a caffiene problem."

• calico
    calico

My son just reminded me of the one in the movie "Airplane" where the captain is walking thru the airport and someone offers him a Watchtower--I think he punches him!

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.totse.com/en/ego/science_fiction/airscrip.html

Nun : Mr, your wanted on the phone . . . Everything's going
    to be alright < SLAP >! Please.
    Gntlmn3: Sister, I'll handle this. < SLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAPPP >
    ( There is now a line of people with baseball bats and whips
    waiting to help the woman )
    Zealot5: Excuse me, we'd like you to have this flower ( Kramer
    punches the man )
    Zealot6: Excuse me sir, would you . . . ( Kramer pushes him out
    of the way )
    Zealot7: Donations for the Reverend Moon? ( Kramer punches him )
    Zealot8: Jews for Jesus? ( Crack ! ) Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...
    Zealot9: Read about Jehovah's witness? ( Kramer kicks him )
    Zealt10: How about Buddhism? ( Whack! )
    Zealt11: Help Jerry's kids? ( punch! )
    Zealt12: Scientology?
    Zealt13: Avoid nuclear power? ( Bap ! Bop ! )

• calico
    calico

Thanks, Blondie! It's been awhile since I've watched that movie!

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I'd think it would be cool to have a list of celebrity ex-Jehovah's Witnesses. I can think of Eisenhower, the Wayan's brothers, and the Jacksons (Michael and Janet)..

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

I remember watching the movie The Coneheads and David Spade and I can't remember the other actor was at the door of the conehead's house trying to get information from them and they posted as JWs.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Some of the ones I remembered have already been mentioned, but here are a couple of others I recall.

The villain in Supergirl makes reference to Jehovah's Witnesses.

In the film Run Lola Run (German title Lola rennt), in one of the montages, the middle-aged blond woman Lola runs into is seen attending a church and later standing on a street corner holding Watchtower and Awake! magazines. (The Awake! issue is 22 August 1997, dealing with Water Crisis.)

In the Damon Wayans series, My Wife and Kids, there is an episode where Michael (Wayans) dreams about having a perfect family. In the dream, his daughter enters and says she's been at the mall handing out Watchtowers. Later in the dream she announces that she is going to be a missionary and move to Guam.

• Ellie
    Ellie

There was a cartoon in the 80s called The Ratties, I was only about 9 at the time and they made fun of JWs, I didnt want to go to school the next day because I thought everyone would be laughing about it and at me.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

On the series, The Practice, there is an episode where one of the characters, Rebecca, is unconscious and hospitalised after a bomb explodes in the firm's office. Her mother says she is a Jehovah's Witness (though not mentioned previously in the series), and fights the legal team in court to prevent her having a blood transfusion, despite her colleagues indicating that she had never mentioned being a Witness and had had an abortion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit