Favourite Bands...............

by JW72 28 Replies latest jw friends

• JW72
    JW72

Hi everyone, I'm a musician so this poll is quite interesting to me(not that the others aren't.....).

1. Wishbone Ash
    2. Genesis
    3. Extreme
    4. Mr Bungle
    5. Mourning Widows (Guitarist from Extreme)
    6. Dream theater
    7. Daft Punk
    8. Rush
    9. Yes
    10. Santana

There are obviously lots of others that I have refrained from mentioning that aren't in the rock genre, but my heart lies with rock so......

If you like my list, then check out my band at www.zanepop.com.
    Actually, it doesn't really sound like the bands I've mentioned, but I'm the guitarist, so.......

Look foreward to hearing others, take care everyone,

Chris

(Edited for grammer)

• claudia
    claudia

My absolutely favorite band forever and ever is Led Zeppelin.
    I also like, not really in order
    Judas Priest
    Pink Floyd
    David Bowie (older stuff)
    The Doors
    Yes
    Sex Pistols
    Buzzcocks
    And many others.......

• Naeblis
    Naeblis

Some good ones...

Tool
    Nine Inch Nails
    The Tragically Hip
    Crystal Method
    Weezer
    Radiohead

• julien
    julien

Led Zeppelin
    Velvet Underground
    Pink Floyd
    Kansas
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Beastie Boys
    Dead Can Dance
    Durutti Column
    Tangerine Dream (early)

classical:
    Tchaikovsky
    Mascagni
    Rachmaninov
    Debussy
    Chopin

• noidea
    noidea

Chris,
    Checked out your site. Cool!
    I love most of the bands listed
    A few more-

ZZ Top
    Brian Adams
    Creed
    Savage Garden
    Too many to list

• COMF
    COMF

Hi, Chris!

Interesting that you listed Wishbone Ash. I never hear anything about them any more, never hear them played on either heavy metal or classic rock stations. I had the "Pilgrimage" album when it was new in '72, and bought it again as a CD a couple of years ago. They could be pretty innovative, and were among the first to start using oddball time signatures such as 7/8 (The Pilgrim) and a thrash-metal 3/4 far too fast to be called a waltz (Vas Dis). Because of its relentless tempo, Vas Dis is on the list of songs I regularly play as warmup/practice. Lovely harmonies on it, too.

Also will concur with you on Rush, for obvious reasons... Neil Peart is incredible, not only for his complex drumming but also for his lyrics.

A friend of mine once said of Yes, "Man, it's like, you go to a Zep concert, or an ACDC concert, and it's all freaks getting high and shouting. You go to a Yes concert, and it's all musicians. And they're, like, all taking notes, man."

I will throw in a vote for Alice in Chains. Not everything they do is inspired, but when they get one right, they really get it (Them Bones, also on my standard practice list).

COMF

• freakshow
    freakshow

Beastie Boys
    Janes Addiction
    Sex Pistols
    Weezer
    Eye hate God
    GG Allen
    Scarhead
    Guns N Roses
    Poison
    Quiet Riot
    Great White
    Cowboy Junkies
    The Brady Bunch
    Ok thats enough but I lied about the Brady Bunch although they did dress pretty cool all that fringe, who made fringe? Why does it exist? The mysteries of life

• claudia
    claudia

Anyone remember a german band Focus/Fokus. I loved the song Hocus Pokus.
    Anyone remember the Brady Bunch band? The silver Platters. "when you need a change youve got to re-arrange....." YUCH

• COMF
    COMF

Hocus Pocus was an incredible song. I looked for Focus on the web, trying to find that CD, but didn't turn it up. If anybody knows where to get it, please tell me.

Focus leaned toward classical stylistically, and most of the other songs on that album didn't have the fire and punch of Hocus Pocus (which explains why they were a one-hit wonder), but they were good. And that singer guy could do anything with his voice... anything.

COMF

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Comf

Hope that you are well.

Andy Powell is heavily and succesfully in production these days, always the steady man. The Turner lads are still playing and writing, though more in the Jazz genre. Cannot say too much online, mail me privately if you wish to know more.

Claudia

Focus were a Dutch band. I understand that these days Thijis Van Leer is firmly entrenched back in the classics ( a la Joe Jackson). Jan Ackerman a superb inovative guitarist with Focus is playing the jazz club scene ( often the next move for past rock stars ). If you like a good guitarist Franco Mussida with Italian band PFM is one of the very best that I have met.

HS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit