family fights on the holidays...

by under74 34 Replies latest jw friends

• under74
    under74

Anybody have any yesterday or in the past during holiday gatherings?

I kind of expect for there to be tensions with some people over the holidays because it can be stressful...but I also think that since my siblings and I didn't grow up celebrating anything that it adds an extra tension and can sometimes cause fights.

Any experiences? Any thoughts?

• Nina
    Nina
    ... in the past during holiday gatherings?

One year my mother turned over the entire dining room table with Thanksgiving dinner on it. My sister and I were terrified.

My mother wasn't a witness.

• under74
    under74
    One year my mother turned over the entire dining room table with Thanksgiving dinner on it. My sister and I were terrified.

jesus. I guess my family has yet to top that--although we came close last night.

• Nina
    Nina

What happened?

• under74
    under74
    What happened?

Well, everything was fine through dinner for the most part but about an hour after eating my older brother who's got anger and control issues thought one of my sister's kids was acting up and he decided he would be the one to discipline my niece. My sister told him it wasn't his place and he didn't listen. My mom told him it wasn't his place and he didn't listen...and then I told him it wasn't his place and he was an idiot for thinking it was his place and then all hell broke loose. He punched the wall. He shoved me. I shoved him back. He called me a bitch. I told him to go screw himself. he kept calling me a bitch....which didn't make me mad but it made my other brother mad and they got into it so bad that my mom almost called the police.

Nice Thanksgiving, eh? I just don't know. WTF?

• vitty
    vitty

wow, how exciting, my family doesnt act like that. Sometimes I wish they would, get everything out in the open.

• vitty
    vitty

wow, how exciting, my family doesnt act like that. Sometimes I wish they would, get everything out in the open.

• vitty
    vitty

Sorry about this,,,,,,,,,,,,,three times for emphasis

• under74
    under74

Well...thing is I don't think it's all out in the open. My thinking is that it's built up anger, resentment, very high expectations and arrested development.

Exciting....maybe for some. I just ended up chain smoking outside in the cold afterward to calm down. I guess there was some adrenaline going but in the end it just made me depressed. I'm not sorry for confronting him BECAUSE he's a bully. But I am sorry he's a bully. He's my brother. I love him, he knows he has these issues but he won't take steps to end them.

• hubert
    hubert

We used to invite my wife's sister and her daughter over for Thanksgiving, but every time we did, they would constantly fight, even through the dinner meal, so now we just invite my wife's sister, but not her kid, and we don't have this problem anymore. We told them why we don't invite both of them together anymore, and they had to agree with our decision, because they know it disrupts the whole family celebration. Other than that, things (usually) run pretty smooth.

Hubert

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit