the delusion of believing they are "good witnesses"

by cyber-sista 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• luna2
    luna2

Reminds me of the one CO I couldn't stand, the one who got his jollies giving violent, bloodly illustrations in his talks. In one talk about witnessing or being a good witness to the nations or some such other crap, he told us that he and his wife would often pretend to be having a bible discussion while eating in restaurants. They'd talk loudly so that all the diners around them could hear, thereby not only witnessing to them, but demonstrating what Godly (hm, more like god awful) people JWs are. If it was me sitting next to that idiot and his idiot wife, I'd ask to be moved...of course, he might have been making it all up. He always struck me as a big, fat liar.

Another good witness was my elder-boss who would under-fund his payroll account and refuse to pay his employees' bank charges when their paychecks bounced. Or when he'd contract to do all kinds of cleaning work, not have enough employees scheduled to do the work, and then leave town on a two-week vacation. I guess he thought Jahoover would somehow make sure it all turned out okay. I think Jah must have decided to go on vacation too because the work either got half done, or not done at all to the anger and dismay of Elder Dipshit's customers.

Of course, he'd loudly proclaim to anyone he came in contact with that he was a JW so that always reflected well on the congregation. I'll bet he singlehandedly drove hundreds of people away from the "troof", all the while thinking (or at least acting like) he was Jerhoobie's favorite son.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Is this not standard procedure for cult like groups that want to keep control over the membership? Have them believe that they are special, different from the rest, and have something that makes them better...

By believing that.1] The rest of the world is against them 2] they must expect persecution & 3] that they are are "theatrical spectacle" on constant view , the humble dub is elevated to feeling important - after all the name of the Sovereign of the Universe is born on your own little shoulders so you have to live up to it..

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

thinking back at one of the things that broke me out of my delusional JW trance was the elders and circuit overseer telling me that attending my own daughter's wedding would be a bad witness to the community. A good witness for the community was for me not to attend. This would show all how I was standing up for righteous principles, because my daughter had chosen to not become a JW and was marrying a non-JW. It broke my heart to thing of doing such a thing to my family and not being by my husband's side during the marriage of our only precious daughter. Can you imagine the emotional damage it would've caused with my hubby, daughter and son-in-law and all of the rest of our family and the community AND to my own psyche, as the thought of not being there made me want to commit suicide. The reality was my family wouldn't thought I was nuts and been deeply hurt (probably forever) and so would the rest of this small community!. A good witness indeed! what a heavy load of crap!

cybs

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

"WE are all so wonderful witlesses and you are all evil birdfood."

It has the same fascination as a freak show or a trip through a medieval lunatic asylum.

That morbid fascination - you know you shouldn't look but can't help it. That's how the few WORLDLINGS who can be bothered looking see them.

HB

• Poztate
    Poztate
    It is truly a part of the great delusion that the witnesses are on the great theocratic stage giving a wonderful witness about Jehovah for the world to behold. It is just another thing to keep them all in line--to keep them separate from people who might break the WT spell--to keep them under control.

cybs

You summed them up right there....Delusion and Control...

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

thank you, cyba-sis, for pointing out yet another reason why I am so grateful to be out and free. I had forgotten about this craziness - yet I, too, used to believe people were watching me "give a good witness" while I acted weird & did things that were meaningless to most people.

• heathen
    heathen

Jeeze that's is completely insane . They worry about what the world thinks of them when they are such miserable back biters themselves .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit