Making progress

by fullofdoubtnow 5 Replies latest jw friends

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I have been away for just over a week, visiting my cousins in the South West, and got back yesterday. I was so good to be back on the board, I had a lovely break, but missed you all. The main reason I went was to get away from Derby for a while, as the cong elders have been pressuring me regarding my decision to da, trying to get me to withdraw my letter and return to the fold. However, I stood firm, and my announcement was made on Tuesday this week, so I am well and truly out of the watchtower now. I wasn't there for the announcement of course, but one of my former friends called me to express her disappointment at what I had done. I have a feeling that that was the last conversation we will have for some time, if not forever.

So I'm out in the world again now, and I have to say it seems a little strange, maybe even a little scary at times. For the first time in many years, I am facing a future in which I decide what to do, not have it mapped out for me by other people. I no longer really know what I will be doing in 5 years, 1 year or even tomorrow, but I am looking forward to the challenge. I am sort of planning to celebrate Christmas, but am not really sure how, having had no recent experience (all suggestions welcome). I am going Christmas shopping this weekend, dedpoet reckons that it might be therapeutic for me, and I think he may be right. I really want to buy him a special gift, he's been so good to me, and has already given me the greatest gift anyone could have given me - I have my life back now, and it's largely thanks to him that I do.

Although I have broken free of the shackles of the org, I realise it will take a long time to get over the effect it has had on my life. I know deep down that I have done the right thing leaving, that it's all lies, that it's a man made organisation based on mainly unscriptural rules, but almost all of my friends, or former friends now, are jws, though I have made a couple of new ones, and I've always had dedpoet as a friend, and I am finding it a little difficult to leave them all behind after all these years. I did have many good times in the org, in fact it was mostly good, it's really only been the last few months that it's all been bad, and I must admit I do think about the good times a lot, no matter how much dp and one or two others tell me that there are even better times ahead now that I am free. I sense that they are right, but it's impossible to escape one's memories, and I have so many good ones of the org. Unlike dp, I still have a belief in God, but I don't think I will be joining another religion, the last one was, I think, more than enough for now. I kind of envy dp in a way for the way he has rebuilt his life away from the jws. He still has a certain amount of bitterness towards them, but he is well on the way to being free of the effect they had on him, and I want to get to where he is, because whatever good memories I have, I am absolutely sure that I don't want to go back, can you imagine how they would treat me if I did? I have witnessed first hand how people wanting to return have been treated by the cong, and I don't want that in my future.

Whatever the future holds for me, I am going to try to take life as it comes now, not make too many specific plans and really just to enjoy it the best way I can. One thing I do plan on doing is to continue posting here, being on this board has helped me so much, and I am very grateful for it's existence. Thankyou to you all for helping my journey to freedom and easier one.

All my love

Linda xxx

• Es
    Es

good luck with your future you are in for some exciting times.....christmas shopping is so much fun it will be good for you

all the best

es

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

((((Linda))))

You know what honey... I can't believe how far you have come in such a short amount of time. I don't really know you but from what I read from your posts I know this. You are STRONG, you are INTELLIGENT, you have GREAT FRIENDS, you have a SENSE OF HUMOUR. and much much more. This will get you so far. Its so daunting at first I know starting your life from scratch but you will get there.

Christmas shopping will be fun. My boyfriend is buying me my first ever tree tomorrow. And hes making sure that we are with his family on the actual day so none of this loneliness stuff.

Here's something you could do. Make sure you have plans for that day. surround yourself with happiness, favourite people, favourite things. I think dedpoet's Christmas present this year is you being freed from the JW's. But anything you do get him I know he will love.

• nilfun
    nilfun

Awesome -- So glad to hear that you've been helped by JWD. Posts like yours (that show that there is life after the JWs) are also helpful and great to read too.

Hope you have a wonderful Christmas.

• Ellie
    Ellie

What a lovely post!!

Enjoy your xmas shopping, I'm sure it wont take you long to get back into the xmas spirit, stick up your tree and just have a good time, thats what its all about.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Congratulations!

I got a smile when I read the JW terminology in your story. It reminds me of when I first left. :)

I stood firm

So I'm out in the world

www.lulu.com/ex-jw

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit