AWAKE! JANUARY 2006, To Our Readers.

by Blueblades 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

For those who have not yet seen this issue. Called "The Golden Age" in 1919, the name was changed to "Consolation" in1937, and to "Awake!" in 1946. BEGINNING with this issue, the format of AWAKE! will reflect some changes. Although certain things will be different, much will remain the same.

Awake! is still committed to the objective that it has held for many decades. As explained on page 4, "this journal is published for the enlightenment of the entire family." Examing world events, telling about people in various cultures, describing the wonders of creation, discussing health, or explaining science for the non-scientist, Awake! will continue to inform our readers, keeping them alert to the world around us.

In its issue of August 22,1946, Awake! pledged:"Integrity to the truth wil be the highest aim of this magazine." True to that promise, Awake! has always endeavored to publish factual information. To that end, articles are thoroughly researched and carefully checked to ensure accuracy. But this journal has demonstrated "integrity to the truth" in an even more important way.

Awake! has always pointed readers to the Bible. However, beginning with this issue, Awake! will feature even more Bible-based articles than in the past. ( John 17:17 ) Awake! will also continue feature articles that show how the Bible's practical counsel can help us to live meaningful and successful lives today. For example, much Bible-based guidance is provided in the series "Young People Ask..." and "The Bible's Viewpoint," which will remain regular features of this journal. In addition, Awake! will continue to direct readers to the Bible's promise of the peaceful new world that will soon replace the present lawless system of things. Revelation 21:3,4.

What else will be different? Beginning with this issue, Awake! will be published monthly in most of the 82 languages in which it appears ( formerly it was published semimonthly in many languages ). * Awake, is published quarterly in some languages, and the features discussed in this article may not appear in all such editions. " Watching the World," which has been a regular feature since 1946, will still appear in each issue but will be reduced from two pages to one. On page 31, we are also introducing an exciting new regular feature called "How Would You Answer?" What will it contain , and how will you use it?

Take a moment to look at page 31 of this issue. Some sections of the page will appeal to young readers; others will challenge the memory of more advanced Bible students. The section "When inHistory?" will help you build a time line showing when Bible characters lived and when major events happened. While the answers to the section "From This Issue" will be found throughout the magazine, the answers to most of the other questions will appear on a designated page in the same issue, where they will be printed upside down. Why not do some research before you read those answers and then share with others what you learn? You might even use this new feature, "How Would You Answer?" as a basis for family or group Bible discussions.

Some 60 years ago, Awake! made this promise: "As for coverage this magazine will endeavor to treat information froma world-wide rather than a local viewpoint. It will appeal to all honest people of all lands. ... The material and contents of the Magazine...will be informative, educatonal and interesting to the greatest number of persons, young and old alike." Readers from all over the world agree that Awake! has kept that promise. We assure you that it will continue to do so. THE PUBLISHERS.

This is for those who have not yet been aware of the changes made in the Awake! issue starting January 2006 issue.

Blueblades ( there is much in this, To Our Readers letter, that can be picked apart and discussed on this forum, as this is a major change, I leave it up to you all as to whether or not you would like to comment on this letter from The unknown Publishers.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Hey thanks for this - not got my January Awake yet - possibly tomorrow night

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

"In its issue of August 22,1946, Awake! pledged:"Integrity to the truth wil be the highest aim of this magazine." True to that promise, Awake! has always endeavored to publish factual information."
    My brain shut down after these statements. Nobody cares too much about "factual information" when your topic is "When Cows Go On Vacation." The Awake's leap into more Bible-related information will give them more opportunity to show just how much "truth" they're capable of. Why they want even more opporunity to embarass themselves is beyond me.
    How did I ever think that this was good journalism? Ugh.
    tall penguin

• Roddy
    Roddy

Going monthly? I'm shocked! What does it really mean? Any insider information on this move?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

money, money, money, its a rich mans world

• Ticker
    Ticker
    Going monthly? I'm shocked! What does it really mean?

Possible cut backs due to lack of activity in developed countries. Not sure why they would do that though since they have a gauranteed placement among their 6 million members, possibly many have tired of giving repeated donations without any sign of the society delivering on their unattainable promises.

Ticker

• misspeaches
    misspeaches
    On page 31, we are also introducing an exciting new regular feature called "How Would You Answer?" What will it contain , and how will you use it?

To the Governing Body/Writing Department:

Oh get a freakin life already. Please if this is what you classify exciting you really have no grasp on reality. Erk.. vomit material.

• No Apologies
    No Apologies
    While the answers to the section "From This Issue" will be found throughout the magazine, the answers to most of the other questions will appear on a designated page in the same issue, where they will be printed upside down.

No Way!!!! Let me see if I understand this. There's going to be questions that I will have to think about, and then try to figure out what the answer is? And then if I turn to another page in the same issue, then I can look and see if my answer is right??? But it will be upside down? So that if I am just casually paging through the many pages of the magazine, I won't accidently see the answers before I have even had time to think about the questions?? I will have to actually find this other page, and then somehow figure out how to read the answers that they have printed upside down!!!!!

How cool is that!!! I can't believe how freaking sweet this will be!! And it sounds like it will be in every issue!!

Now what it doesn't make clear in this letter, is, at the bottom of the list of questions, will there be a note telling us which pages the answers are on? I bet there won't be. That way we will no doubt find some other articles that look interesting while we are trying to find these answers, so then we will read those articles too. I know that's what will happen to me. Before I know it, I'll have read every article in the Awake! magazine!

This is almost as good as when they would have - you guessed it! the crossword puzzles in the Awake!. Remember those? I used to spend so much time trying to figure out all the answers to those dang crossword puzzles. But it was really fun. And then for those, they would tell you which page the answers were on, but I don't remember if they were upside down or not.

Anyway, this sounds awesome. I can't wait for the January(monthly!!!) edition of the Awake! to come out.

No Apologies

• Honesty
    Honesty
    The section "When in History?" will help you build a time line showing when Bible characters lived and when major events happened. While the answers to the section "From This Issue" will be found throughout the magazine, the answers to most of the other questions will appear on a designated page in the same issue, where they will be printed upside down. Why not do some research before you read those answers and then share with others what you learn? You might even use this new feature, "How Would You Answer?" as a basis for family or group Bible discussions.

Wanna bet they don't ask, "When was the temple in Jerusalem destroyed by Nebuchadnezzar"?

• blondie
    blondie

Of course, you realize the WTS expects that research to be done with WTS publications, Honesty? Doing so, this is the answer they would find.

*** Isaiah Prophecy-2 chap. 18 p. 269 Jehovah Revives the Spirit of the Lowly Ones ***

Jehovah’s words are fulfilled in 607 B.C.E. That is when Babylonian King Nebuchadnezzar destroys Jerusalem, burns the temple, and takes most of the people captive. "Thus Judah went into exile from off its soil."—2 Kings 25:1-21.

w00 1/1 p. 7 Serving With the Watchman ***
    . Hence, in 607 B.C.E., the armies of Babylon, led by King Nebuchadnezzar, destroyed Jerusalem and its temple and carried most of the Jews off into exile in Babylon.

w01 8/1 pp. 11-12 Can You "Distinguish Both Right and Wrong"? ***
    . Develop the habit of doing research in Bible publications provided through "the faithful and discreet slave." (Matthew 24:45)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit