Help please---69 Awake quote

by blindersoff 20 Replies latest jw friends

• blindersoff
    blindersoff

While talking with my mother about why I gave no thought to my future employment as a young man, I mentioned the 69 Awake article that assured young folks that they would not grow old in this system. She thinks I must have misread it. I can't locate it now, so can anyone point me to it?

Thanks

B

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I did a couple searches in the WT Cd. I cannot find the specific article to which you refer - do you have a title or part of a title?

Jeff

• observer
    observer

*** Awake! 1969 May 22 p.15 ***

If you are a young person, you also need to face the fact that you will never grow old in this present system of things. Why not? Because all the evidence in fulfillment of Bible prophecy indicates that this corrupt system is due to end in a few years. Of the generation that observed the beginning of the 'last days' in 1914, Jesus foretold: 'This generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur.' Therefore, as a young person, you will never fulfill any career that this system offers. If you are in high school and thinking about a college education, it means at least four, perhaps even six or eight more years to graduate into a specialized career. But where will this system of things be by that time? It will be well on the way towards its finish, if not actually gone! This is why parents who base their lives on God's prophetic Word find it much more practical to direct their young ones into trades that do not require such long periods of additional schooling… True, those who do not understand where we are in the stream of time from God's viewpoint will call this impractical. But which is really practical: preparing yourself for a position in this world that soon will pass away? or working toward surviving this system's end and enjoying eternal life in God's righteous new order?

http://quotes.watchtower.ca/education.htm

• undercover
    undercover

*** Awake! 1969 May 22 p.15 ***

If you are a young person, you also need to face the fact that you will never grow old in this present system of things. Why not? Because all the evidence in fulfillment of Bible prophecy indicates that this corrupt system is due to end in a few years. Of the generation that observed the beginning of the 'last days' in 1914, Jesus foretold: 'This generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur.' Therefore, as a young person, you will never fulfill any career that this system offers. If you are in high school and thinking about a college education, it means at least four, perhaps even six or eight more years to graduate into a specialized career. But where will this system of things be by that time? It will be well on the way towards its finish, if not actually gone! This is why parents who base their lives on God's prophetic Word find it much more practical to direct their young ones into trades that do not require such long periods of additional schooling… True, those who do not understand where we are in the stream of time from God's viewpoint will call this impractical. But which is really practical: preparing yourself for a position in this world that soon will pass away? or working toward surviving this system's end and enjoying eternal life in God's righteous new order?

quotes.watchtower.ca

edited to add: haha observer....beat me to it

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    If you are a young person, you also need to face the fact that you will never grow old in this present system of things

A statement made all the more egregious by the fact that they still say it today, though they may have wised up enough not to put it into print. (See sir82's elder school notes and Brother COOT's comments about 'retirement planning')

Dave

• observer
  • VM44
    VM44

Isn't it strange that the Awake! articles on The Watchtower CD-Library only go back to the year 1970?

I wonder what that is?

--VM44

• alamb
    alamb

If you need a scan, I probably have it. That goes for everybody. I have a basement full.

• blindersoff
    blindersoff

That's it. Thanks to everybody.

B

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Notice that it's always the old coots who say stuff like that nowadays. They want to be somehow comforted by the fact that they are nearing the end of their life and they have nothing to show for it so they rest their hope in the nearness of Armageddon.

It's very sad... my parents are going through this. When I was younger some of their speech was actually intelegible but now it's all worn-out rhetoric about the "great day of Jah almighty." They have lived their lives and now it's almost over for them and they just want to see SOMETHING happen.

On one hand I despise them, but for the most part I just pity them. Such a waste of braincells - why couldn't they have just lived a productive life? And they look down on me for going to college so HOPEFULLY they won't have to spend their final days in a rest home. I can't even think about it anymore... it makes me so sick.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit