Not "WORLDLY".. just people.

by Rayvin 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Rayvin
    Rayvin

My dad ,yesterday, for the first time stopped making the distinction. We were talking about how as a JW you are taught to only associate with JWs and then after they alienated us we were thrown out with now social skills or info on how to make friends and socialize elsewhere. Dad said " I don't know where wordly....*sigh* worldy..I need to quit saying that. I don't know where PEOPLE go to find friends."

I was so happy. Dad is more then just saying he is tired of the JWs he is starting to quit the seperating. Its a slow progress but I am so excited. He is also seeing the very few and far between "sheparding calls" for what they really are.

I am feeling more okay with the possiblity that my family will be outed during christmas. I think my dad may be closer to the point of accepting it and not being so closed minded.

• minimus
    minimus

A long time ago I made a thread commenting on how we should substitute "worldly" with "normal".

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Why yes, I am a "worldly" person!

world·ly (wûrld'le) pronunciation
    adj., -li·er , -li·est .
    1. Of, relating to, or devoted to the temporal world.
    2. Experienced in human affairs; sophisticated or worldly-wise: “an experienced and worldly man who had been almost everywhere” (Willa Cather).

• jgnat
    jgnat

Minimus, there is impact in words. When I started excising "worldly" (nothing wrong with the word, just how it's spat out by the JW's) I started to stand taller. I remember that thread, and it had a huge impact on me. Thankyou.

Congratulations, rayvin. I agree this is a big step for your dad.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

((((Rayvin)))))

I know this must be wonderful to witness his evolution out of this. Perhaps someday I'll see it with my own family.

Andi

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Tell your dad to pursue his new interests, as he will meet new friends through those. There might be some latent talent he wants to revive, or an old hobby he gave away.... when he's enthusiastic about something he'll be meeting people constantly. Right now it's hard to see that because of the shock of what he'd be going through.

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Errrk... I hate that expression 'Wordly'. I always have. I've always been embarrassed by it JW or not.

I am trying to get my b/f to stop using it. His Christian upbringing taught him the expression. I explained to him that by calling people 'wordly' he is making a distinction and in a round about way judging them. That seemed to work, the reasoning, and he is trying to break the habit.

But onto the most important thing - its great news that your father is making the effort to change. It shows that they WTBTS are losing their bind on him. All the very best to you. If they are not out during Xmas perserve... your doing something right and eventually you will see it happen.

• minimus
    minimus

Thanks jgnat.....See, it goes to show how not all my threads are meaningless.

• Rayvin
    Rayvin

Yes.. dad has alot of talents but my mom gives him guilt trips if he was to take time away from being at home at all times to take care of her just to do something "silly". I am sure it will all work out right in the end. Thank you all for your responses.

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

We're all guilty of this, me especiall. i still ask people : Why aren't you in the truth anymore??

gotta stop myself when I spit out words like "truth" "wordly and others.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit