Elders School Part 4: Beat, er, I mean shepherd the sheep

by sir82 34 Replies latest jw friends

• thepackage
    thepackage

I’m really bothered that the WTS is so negative on education. I guess they don’t want you to think. It’s a shame how many people in the “Truth” are so bitter because they did not have the option to go to college. Granted, college is not for everyone. I know many success people that new went to college and are very happy but, they had a choice. WTS should not be taking this choice away from anybody.

• Scully
    Scully
    "The world uses people up and throws them away when they are done with them. Jehovah's organization is not like that."

Bull - effing - $hyte

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

They have no shame

• willyloman
    willyloman

The WTS subscribes to the "if you say it often enough, they will believe it" school of propaganda, perfected by Goebbels in the Third Reich. It's what allows them to utter bullsh-- and think it's music.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    Interview with an elder, who at 18 wanted to leave home to go to college to pursue an engineering degree. "My mother refused to allow me to go, and I am so grateful. If I had gone to college I would not be in the truth today."

I would love to be able to ask what that elder meant by this. How much thought did he give to that response or was it just the regurgitated no thought response we all gave when we were dubs!

How and why was he sure that if he had taken up an engineering degree that he wouldn;t be in the truth. Was his faith so weak? Or did he feel deep down that if he received an education and got a life he would see for himself what a big lie the whole borg is!

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    I would love to be able to ask what that elder meant by this. How much thought did he give to that response or was it just the regurgitated no thought response we all gave when we were dubs!

This is just one of those gems you hear every once in a while... hes probably right...he wouldnt be in the truth if he had got his degree...a degree level qualification involves elements of critical thinking; independent study, research and the gradual formulation of your own view...everything the witnesses discourage!

• jschwehm
    jschwehm

Another opportunity to thoroughly condemn higher education. At least as much time was spent on relating the foolishness of pursuing universtiy education as was spent on figuring out how to get persons to want to be elders or ministerial servants.

When I was first leaving the JWs, I got into an argument with my parents over this one. I said why does the Society have to prop up pioneering and full-time service by tearing down those who decide to go college? Why can't they prop up pioneering and full-time service based on the benefits of that career instead of saying it is better than the this?

Well, after years of pioneering and time at Bethel, I knew why the Watchtower Society has to approach it in this way. They have to scare the little dubs with eternal destruction if they go to college so as to make the life of a full-time servant in their organization bearable.

"The world uses people up and throws them away when they are done with them. Jehovah's organization is not like that."

Also, that comment above really irked me as there is no organization on earth that I have been associated with that does a better job using people up and throwing them away than the Watchtower Society. I made this observation to my parents after coming home from Bethel. As usual, I was the one with the major problem and the Society can do no wrong.

Jeff Schwehm

www.catholicxjw.com

• RichieRich
    RichieRich
    Talk # 15: ENCOURAGE YOUNG MEN TO REACH OUT - Brother Local Elder

Synopsis: There is a great need for more servants "on a global scale" - hundreds of thousands being baptized every year. Encourage young brothers to reach out for theocratic privileges. 6 ways to "help younger brothers":

Thanks for the heads up!!!

THe brothers are bad enough now, I guess I'm going to have to start beating them off with a stick soon!!!

Screwballs. And notice how they don't give a flying fnck about young sisters.... Bastards.

But at least I know its coming.

• VM44
    VM44

Hi Jeff,

there is no organization on earth that I have been associated with that does a better job using people up and throwing them away than the Watchtower Society. I made this observation to my parents after coming home from Bethel.

Could you post some examples of this from Bethel? It would be useful to know in some specific instances how people are used up and then discarded by The Watchtower.

--VM44

• jschwehm
    jschwehm

Hi VM:

Well when I was at Bethel in the late 1980's it was made clear to us that if we got hurt on the job that the Watchtower Society would assist us in paying any initial medical expenses but if there were long term problems that was our problem. It took a while for us to finally get the message and to be honest we got the run around quite a bit. So, I asked my JW father to take out a catastrophic health insurance policy on me. He did it since we could never get the Society to tell us what kind of coverage we had with them. When some others heard that I did this, they did it too. One of my friends mentioned that they were getting their folks to purchase health insurance for them...the Bethel elder got mad and said that we had no faith in the provisions made for us by Jehovah and his organization. I was a construction work at Brooklyn and regularly hung outside of bldgs that were 10 or more stories above the street and they did not have any insurance on us. And, I saw it happen all of the time where a young guy would go to Bethel have a health issue created by the work at Bethel and then be asked to leave.

Then, when I got mugged in front of 124 Columbia Heights and the cops came and interviewed me. I was told by the Bethel security people to cooperate at first. So, I went the next day and looked at photos at the police station. When I got back, I was called into a meeting with one of the members of the Factory Committee...Ralph Walls is his name....a bigtime heavy. He told me that they were worried that this was some type of gang related activity (and the cops did tell me that they had been targeting our neighborhood lately) and they were afraid that if the gangs found out that one of theirs could ID them then the Society's properties would be vandalized. They also said that they would not be able to guarantee my safety if I got actively involved in the case and IDed these people who had been harassing the entire neighborhood for weeks. Oh, and by the way, I was not the only Bethelite that got mugged and beat up over that time period. I suspect all of us were given the same song and dance....In any case, it was at that time that I realized that bldgs and property meant more to them than anything else.

Jeff S.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit