Elders School Part 3: Your talks kinda blow, brothers...

by sir82 27 Replies latest jw friends

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone
    I believe when I start missing CAs, DCs and SAs I will feel the same way at first.

I missed half the summer convention for the first time this summer. I stayed in the hotel and watched out the window as my kids and husband and other family walked thru the parking lot, met up with someone else in the cong., and drove off. I felt very left out and alone. Like you, I don't miss it enough to want to go back to it, but it sort of bothered me that I felt that way. Wonder what causes that?

Thanks for the review, sir! Looking forward to the next one...!

GGG

• Confession
    Confession
    Also, some make inappropriate jokes about clergy or other potentially sensitive issues to any unfortunate poor sap member of the public listening.

I used to question this--and it happened all the time. You're taking in the Public Talk--yes, the one talk that is supposed to keep those not currently JWs in mind. Then you hear comments such as...

(With a sneer...) "You think you'll ever see unity like this in a Catholic church!?

(Mocking...) "I guess, if you're a Baptist, you think Jesus is just gonna swoop down like Superman and fly you up to heaven on his shoulders!"

(With disgust...) "You think Jehovah wants a bunch of fags in the new system?" (Admittedly this one was during a bookstudy, said by the conducting elder.)

It seemed so obviously wrong to do this, knowing how some (especially new or visiting ones) at the Hall might take it. Positively clueless...

• minimus
    minimus

Listener, I didn't miss it at all! It's SO LIBERATING to let go.

• Honesty
    Honesty

I'm starting to get a little sick.

Off Topic:

Mocking...) "I guess, if you're a Baptist, you think Jesus is just gonna swoop down like Superman and fly you up to heaven on his shoulders!"
    Sounds about as stupid as the WT Rapture Express for all the true annointed ones in the cult.
  • stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

The last talk of the night and brother BigWind left you 5 minutes out of your 15. BLONDIE QUOTE

Yes remeber this well - Brother LongWinded and Brother Likesthesoundofhisownvoice - run over their allotted time and leave you about 5 minutes for a 15 minute part - really used to piss me off

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone
    Brother LongWinded and Brother Likesthesoundofhisownvoice - run over their allotted time and leave you about 5 minutes for a 15 minute part - really used to piss me off

Me, too.... because then the meeting ended up going overtime... hated that.

We had an elder once who always went overtime... waaaaay overtime. He was spoken to privately but nothing helped. So once, he was assigned the second part on the service meeting, and used up all but 5 mins. of the next part, too. So the brother who had the final part goes on stage, takes out his songbook, and says, Well, brothers, I had this part all prepared, but we're out of time. Maybe we can fit it into the next local needs part. Let's sing song #.....

Hehehe....! I wanted to stand up and cheer....

GGG

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    So, let me get this straight. I'm supposed to not change the order or timing (which is pretty precise, as I recall), in other words, parrot the script exactly, but i'm supposed to speak extemporaneously. Sums up the general mental confusion of the organization perfectly.

Brother Gollum, you are missing the point. "Extemporaneously" here means "considered, planned, premeditated, prepared, rehearsed." You are getting the literal sense of the word confused with its figurative. The figurative sense means the exact opposite of the literal (of course, ).

AuldSoul

• Goldminer
    Goldminer

I would venture to say this material is just recycled baloney from Elders' School Past.

Pretty much following the general theme of fear,obligation and guilt.

Goldminer

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

#### Also, it seems some are changing the order of the points from the outline, or changing the timing of sections. Ve must have conformity!####

Hah! I dont think I ever had a talk I didnt change the order and timing. The WTS outlines blow as far as im concerned.

• Gollum
    Gollum
    Brother Gollum, you are missing the point. "Extemporaneously" here means "considered, planned, premeditated, prepared, rehearsed." You are getting the literal sense of the word confused with its figurative. The figurative sense means the exact opposite of the literal (of course, ).

AuldSoul

AuldSoul,

Thank you!!! I finally understand how the org could say witnesses were the "happiest" and "most free" people on earth. It's the figurative meaning, of course. How could I be so foolish?

Gollm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit