Encounters with Jehova's Witnesses

by religion_other 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• religion_other
    religion_other

Hi, I'm not a JW but I wanted to write about the few encounters I've had with people handing out The Watchtower. Over here in the UK, it's something of a joke, the dreaded knock on the door and aargh! It's The Jehova's Witnesses. The truth is, it hardly ever happens these days, but the joke sticks anyway. I had a quick look around the forum, and you sound a lot more human than sometimes you are portrayed. Yaaay! The first occasion I remember, I must have been quite young. The knock at the door came and there was a lady with her son. I remember the kid being really enthusistic about that issue because it had a really COOL spooky skull on the front. They were nice, the magazine didn't have much interesting in it though. Never mind. Another occasion, there was a very business-like man standing there. I think he must have been a salesman in the past, because he was very skillful, kind of slyly leaning forwards to try and get his foot in the door. I didn't move. So he said, well if you don't want to talk, take a couple of magazines. One magazine had '666 The Number of The Beast' plastered all over the cover. I wondered if he'd heard I was a particularly nasty heathen or something... Hmmm... not keen on that man, nothing very interesting in the magazines either. But the occasion I remember most was when I was on a bus one day. A young woman leaned over and tried to give me one of the magazines, but when I saw what it was, the 'aargh JW' knee-jerk reaction took over and I said no, and was all frosty. It just came out wrong, and I think my reaction upset her. So, I always felt bad about that. What I should have done was say, oh quit handing out the magazines and come and have a beer. Seriously, I think many of you should consider lightening-up about about religion. There's lots if nice people who aren't Jehovas Witnesses, this deal of only marrying other Jehova's Witnesses kind of narrows your options down doesn't it? Handing out those magazines is a real passion-killer. I've read a few of them, and I know, there's not much in there. So, since a few JWs have tried to convert me in the past, I'm going to have one go to convert you. It's only fair! If you are happy being a Jehova's Witness, that is fine. But some JWs find that they are repressed by over-zealous friends and relatives. If you think you could be a happier, better person outside of that environment, you should leave the church, simple as that, and it doesn't matter what they think.

• Legolas
    Legolas

Welcome to the board!

We are mostly ex witnesses here!

• daystar
    daystar

religion_other

Most people here are no longer Jehovah's Witnesses, which is probably why we actually seem to be human to you.

• Legolas
    Legolas
    Most people here are no longer Jehovah's Witnesses, which is probably why we actually seem to be human to you.

LMAO...I was just going to say that!

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

And for the record, I will happily imbibe a beer with you any time you're buying! (In fact, I'll pop for the first round!)

Welcome to the (99.99% EX-Jehovah's Witness) forum!

Dave

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

Hi there!

Glad to "see" a new face! Stick around and you'll soon discover that there is much more then this magazine-handing habit that is freaky with those people. (I should know, I was one.)

• jgnat
    jgnat

Sorry to disappoint you, but if you intend to engage a Jehovah's Witness, it will likely have to be at your door, in person, with magazine in hand. Active JW's are warned against freely discussing their beliefs on the open 'net.

• in a new york bethel minute
    in a new york bethel minute

IF YOU'RE BUYING, I'LL HAVE A PINT! i'll even quit my faith for a couple of beers on the house

• Cellist
    Cellist

Hi, welcome to the board. I like your post. You've got the JWs pegged pretty good, but you're too late to convert most of us. I hope you post some more.

Cellist

• Honesty
    Honesty

Welcome to the Board!!

BTW, most of us here are de-converted Jehovah's Witnesses. In other words, we are no longer members of the cult that distributes Watchtower magazines.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit