Nothing in Reasoning book about Disfellowshipping

by Goldminer 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Goldminer
    Goldminer

I had a talk with my father last night about the practice of disfellowshipping.My father is an active jw with privileges in the local hall.He doesn't seem in total agreement with the shunning practice of the WTS,and he brought out the example of the prodigal son.We had a good discussion and I'm going to research it some more through the chapter on The Misuse of Disfellowshipping in the book In Search of Christian Freedom.

Anyways,I thought I'd look it up in the reasoning book to see what the WTS reasoning on disfellowshipping was.It turns out it's not in the table of contents or in the index.I thought this odd;how would one reason on this with a householder who asks about it? Why is there nothing in the reasoning book on a subject every jw says is scriptural?

Goldminer

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

because its unreasonable

• Goldminer
    Goldminer

Tijkmo-I was starting to think the same thing.

Goldminer

• in a new york bethel minute
    in a new york bethel minute
    because its unreasonable

hahaha ain't it the truth!

i dont think they publicise that fact... it's more of a "once you're in, you get to know the real truth"

bethel

• metatron
    metatron

Exactly! Now, you're seeing what I've seen for some time.

There is nothing about disfellowshipping in the new "What the Bible Really Teaches" book either - a book that is supposed to prepare

a person for baptism completely.

Why don't they mention this vital subject? First, because Watchtower leaders are cowards - who don't want the public to know

about this practice. That's why they hide the information in KM's and Circuit assemblies - away from exposure.

Second, because they are frauds - if you were seeking a loan in the world, wouldn't you expect full disclosure? All the details

spelled out? All the fine print made explicit before you are committed? Wouldn't a company get into trouble with authorities if they

did this sort of thing in business? Why are Watchtower standards lower than the world?

metatron

• blondie
    blondie

*** Reasoning Book p. 200 par. 6 Jehovah’s Witnesses ***

10)

Apply Bible counsel: They believe that it is important to apply the counsel of God’s Word in everyday life now—at home, in school, in business, in their congregation. Regardless of a person’s past way of life, he may become one of Jehovah’s Witnesses if he abandons practices condemned by God’s Word and applies its godly counsel. But if anyone thereafter makes a practice of adultery, fornication, homosexuality, drug abuse, drunkenness, lying, or stealing, he will be disfellowshipped from the organization.
  • Cordelia
    Cordelia

what a surprise!

i cant tell you how many times ive had this conversation with my parents, i agree maybe people should be punished for serious wrongs but its the shunning that gets me, the prodigal son, mannasah Judah when he went with tamar(or whoever it was) king david they were never shunned just came back!

jesus spoke to judas and to satan when he tempted him, who would of been the biggest dfed person ever,

it makes me MAD esp coz its breaking my family apart!

• FairMind
    FairMind

But if anyone thereafter makes a practice of adultery, fornication, homosexuality, drug abuse, drunkenness, lying, or stealing, he will be disfellowshipped from the organization.
    Well Blondie, no one can disagree with that!

• blondie
    blondie

Just to clarify, my post was to show that disfellowshipping is discussed in the Reasoning book, not a support of the practice. The process is flawed, 3 men alone with the accused. Not like coming before the older men in the gate where the community attended.

• biddie
    biddie

Goldminer! My brother was basically "disfellowshipped" for no apparent reason. The lack of love that the Society showed him was an "eye-opener for me! They never called on him, or checked on how he was doing or anything! I still can't believe it.

Jesus taught us to love each other- when one makes a mistake doesn't make sense that we should love them even more and forgive them!

The apostle Paul talks about this in Corinthians. There are certain cases where a person is to be "given up to Satan" so that they will hopefully repent. Paul says.. "to save their souls." What Paul meant was that-if- they repented they were to be allowed to join in! My experience is that the Society shuns them completely! This is wrong! Most people that are disfellowshipped get completely discouraged and turn away even more! Just my thoughts.... Biddie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit