Elder school notes, Part 2: hysterical screed against education continues

by sir82 51 Replies latest jw friends

• sir82
    sir82

Continuing this morning's notes, in the same format...

Talk 5: OVERVIEW - ORGANIZED TO DO JEHOVAH'S WILL - Brother Bethel-COOT

Synopsis: General high level review of contents of new "Organized to Do Jehovah's Will" (OD) book. Pointed out how to use index (duh!), sections on questions for new unbaptized publishers & those wanting to be baptized, new announcements for DF / DA, etc.

Sir's Analysis: Deadly dull part: "Now look at page 216..."...(reads part of page 216)...."now look at page 180..." (reads) etc.

Egregious quotes: "Following the guidelines in this book promotes peace and unity among the body of elders"

"After reading this book, nowhere should anyone ever be able to say, 'Well in my old congregation we did it differently.' (Chuckles & guffaws from audience). "Brothers, this is not a laughing matter."

Talk 6: PRESIDE WELL OVER YOUR OWN HOUSEHOLD - Brother SICO

Synopsis: Study with your families, you slackers! You family heads have a God-ordained position as the head of the family, so keep them spiritually fortified

Sir's Analysis: Importance of drilling a theocratic routine drilled into heads. Recreation, emotional support, affection mentioned toward end of talk

Light bulb moment for me: "5 elements involved in presiding well over your family": (in order)

1) Read daily text together

2) Persevere in prayer

3) Prepare for & participate in meetings

4) Share in ministry regularly, help children prepare

5) Have regular family study

I.e., a man who is "presiding well" over his family need not worry about their emotional state, giving them support & encouragement, their education, preparing them for the "real world", showing affection, sympathy, kindness, etc. So, now I finally see why there are so many elders with dysfunctional families who continue to "serve"--per the Society, if you follow the 5 steps above, you are "presiding well"

Egregious quotes: Nothing outside the 5 points noted above

Talk #7: DO ALL THINGS FOR GOD's GLORY - Brother Local Elder (Note: Regurgitation of Chapter 13 of OD book, with same name)

Synopsis: World's standards for entertainment continually degrading. Comparison of 50's sitcoms to today. Violent video games mentioned again. Examples of some things reported from CO reports (see below). Elders should speak up when they see brothers engaging in unwholesome entertainment.

Sir's analysis: Point of talk crystal clear when speaker mentioned 3 incidents which came from CO's reports (no mention of where or when):

-- JW couples dancing "The Freak" (also described by speaker as "sex with your clothes on") at nightclubs. Starts out with married couple dancing together, but soon each has a new partner

-- Sisters organize bridal showers with desserts in shape of genitals, openly pushing sex toy catalogs, "even some elders' wives in attendance"

-- A party attended by JW youths aged 14-22, partied from 11 PM to 4:30 AM, lots of drinking, "Truth or Dare" resulting in "Girls kissing open-mouthed with other girls" and "running nude through the neighborhood" (appropriately shocked gasps from the audience)

After relating, speaker asked "How does this reflect on Jehovah's name?" How indeed!

Egregious quotes: "Elders, think of yourselves as older brothers. When parents are out, the older brother caring for his siblings doesn't enforce his own rules, but those of the parents. Well, our 'father' and 'mother' (Jehovah and his organization) have given us rules, and we need to enforce them."

Talk #8: THE SUPERIORITY OF DIVINE EDUCATION - Brother Bethel-COOT

Synopsis: Divine education is vastly superior to worldly education, as it teaches one to do God's will. A rehash of all the "schools" provided by the Organization (Theocratic Ministry School, Gilead, Pioneer Service School, Ministerial Training School, etc.). Brothers who go to Bethel receive excellent training there, and are better prepared for working in the real world if they have to leave. Rehash of quotes on how unprepared college grads are form the Oct. 1 Watchtower study on education. Elders should remind young ones of the superiority of divine education.

Sir's Analysis: If there was any doubt about whether the recent hysterical screeds condemning higher education were just a passing fad, this talk completely blew that notion away. Elders are commanded, in no uncertain terms, to direct people to the WT Index & the subheadings on "Education" if anyone comes to them for guidance.

Egregious quotes: Too many to mention, here are a few of the most spittle-and-froth covered ones:

"We sometimes see some who could pioneer, but don't. Encouage them to get started, because divine education offers so much."

"In Bethel, the brothers are given considerable training. Many end up in cleaning, housekeeping, and food preparation. But they are well trained. When they leave Bethel, they can do these jobs well. Such jobs are in great demand, and they are paid a good wage to do them."

(Do you see now why I named the Bethel brother as "Completely Out Of Touch?)

In an interview of someone who was raised in truth, went to college for 2 years (to please his unbelieving father), then dropped out "to pursue spiritual goals":

Eventually, while pioneering, he worked part time in a bank on Wall Street. "And who did you end up training there?" "Recent graduates from Ivy League schools" "Did you hear that brothers? A part time pioneer had to train the Ivy League graduates to do their jobs! They needed someone who could do the job well!!!" (Enormous whoops and laughter from audience)

"Encourage young ones to imitate good pioneers, good Bethelites, good CO's."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have used up my new topics for today, Day 2's morning session will be posted tomorrow.

The really interesting stuff was on Day 2's afternoon session, I will post that on Wednesday.

• willyloman
    willyloman
    A part time pioneer had to train the Ivy League graduates to do their jobs!

Talk about spin! He was probably in charge of orienting new employees so they'd know where the bathrooms were, what time the cafeteria opened, and what the security codes were to get in and out of the building.

• TheListener
    TheListener

Thank you sir.

Your attention to detail is admirable.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

-- JW couples dancing "The Freak" (also described by speaker as "sex with your clothes on") at nightclubs. Starts out with married couple dancing together, but soon each has a new partner Wow, There's another dance called the Freak? And where can I learn this dance?

-- Sisters organize bridal showers with desserts in shape of genitals, openly pushing sex toy catalogs, "even some elders' wives in attendance And where else is a girl gonna learn about sex in the bOrg?

Divine Education? What a bunch of crap!

Eventually, while pioneering, he worked part time in a bank on Wall Street. "And who did you end up training there?" "Recent graduates from Ivy League schools" "Did you hear that brothers? A part time pioneer had to train the Ivy League graduates to do their jobs! They needed someone who could do the job well!!!" (Enormous whoops and laughter from audience)

When I was younger I worked in a bank as a teller and I had to train college grads who had been recruited by the bank, but these grads werent going to become tellers, they were learning the ropes before they went into upper management. So I really doubt that part time pioneer had those Ivy league grads as co-workers, mostlikely those grads became his bosses. Josie

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    I will post that on Wednesday.

wednesday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• VM44
    VM44
    "In Bethel, the brothers are given considerable training. Many end up in cleaning, housekeeping, and food preparation. But they are well trained. When they leave Bethel, they can do these jobs well. Such jobs are in great demand, and they are paid a good wage to do them."

Is that really true? Someone posted awhile ago here at JWD that employers in the New York area are NOT eager to hire former Bethel workers, something about how Bethel workers today are NOT well trained (or NOT completely trained to do all aspects) in the jobs they were doing at Bethel.

Perhaps someone who knows about Bethel workers in the workplace can confirm this.

But if true, then the example given would be inaccurate information that just sounds good to give in a talk.

--VM44

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone
    I.e., a man who is "presiding well" over his family need not worry about their emotional state, giving them support & encouragement, their education, preparing them for the "real world", showing affection, sympathy, kindness, etc. So, now I finally see why there are so many elders with dysfunctional families who continue to "serve"

Excellent point. Very sad, but very true.

If there was any doubt about whether the recent hysterical screeds condemning higher education were just a passing fad, this talk completely blew that notion away. Elders are commanded, in no uncertain terms, to direct people to the WT Index & the subheadings on "Education" if anyone comes to them for guidance.

This makes me sick. As if kids in the borg today don't have enough problems, now they'll have the elders all over their cases if they decide to go to college. Look at all the elderly 'faithful' JWs who today are nearing retirement age, with no retirement plan, because they have worked their entire lives at menial labor just to make ends meet. Telling a new generation of kids that they should not educate themselves is morally reprehensible for that reason alone.

GGG

• VM44
    VM44
    Telling a new generation of kids that they should not educate themselves is morally reprehensible for that reason alone.

Yes, I agree.

If the new generation takes The Watchtower's advice, and things turn out badly, The Watchtower simply says "No one forced you to take our advice, the decision to follow it was yours."

In that way they don't take responsibility for the material they write.

--VM44

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Pointed out how to use index (duh!),

Imagine, a bunch of grown men having to be shown how to use an index! No wonder they oppose "higher" education! They haven't yet mastered the third grade!

"Truth or Dare" resulting in "Girls kissing open-mouthed with other girls" and "running nude through the neighborhood" (appropriately shocked gasps from the audience)

Ok, I have to wonder how many elders skulked off to the bathroom at this point to spank the monkey?

Brothers who go to Bethel receive excellent training there, and are better prepared for working in the real world if they have to leave.

I know an excellent example of such a man who worked at Bethel for many years, with MEPS. The congregation was subjected to numerous blatherings about his skills, and how he would be "highly sought after" by companies should he ever leave Bethel. He eventually left, and he's now working at a downtown Toronto company. He works in the mailroom, and he sorts and delivers interoffice mail. The only reason he got this job is because there are many JWs employed at the company.

W

• Goldminer
    Goldminer

I remember an elder giving a talk on pioneering once.He said young people could work at Subway or Tim Horton's to support themselves and their pioneering.Meanwhile he's working for a unionized company making over $30/hour! A lot of people made comments afterward,how misleading and hypocritical that was to suggest young people should take minimum wage jobs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit