The End of Faith

by JAVA 11 Replies latest jw friends

• JAVA
    JAVA

Sam Harris' book "The End of Faith, (Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason)" is out in paper back. It had been on "The New York Times Bestseller" list for some time, and I just picked up a copy yesterday. Has anyone else on the JWD read this book?
    He points out that in a 1996 Gallup, 35 % of Americans believe the Bible is the literal and inerrant word of God, and another 48% believe it's inspired though certain passages must be interpreted symbolically. Which means only 17% of Americans doubt that the Bible is the word of God in 1996. He believe that a survey of Hindus, Muslims, and Jews around the world would yield similar results. Harris says the following on pages 16 and 17:
    "The idea that any one of our religions (he is speaking about world religions here) represents the infallible word of the One True God requires an encyclopedic ignorance of history, mythology, and art even to be entertained . . . we, as a species, have grown almost perfectly intoxicated by our myths. How is it that, in this one area of our lives, we have convinced ourselves that our beliefs about the world can float entirely free of reason and evidence?"
    It looks like an interesting read, and I wondered if some here have already read it?

• Golf
    Golf

"...almost perfectly intoxicated by our myths?" Well put.

Golf

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    It looks like an interesting read, and I wondered if some here have already read it?

No, but I want to! Thanks for the recommendation.

(Golf, I don't want to hijack Java's thread so if you could sum up what you want to know in the right topic I'd be happy to respond.)

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    How is it that, in this one area of our lives, we have convinced ourselves that our beliefs about the world can float entirely free of reason and evidence?"

That is so well put. How indeed? In almost every other area of life, humankind demands proof and evidence. In matters of religion they are willing to kill others and die for a concept which is vague at best and downright stupid at worst.

It's amazing... I'll have to pick up the book. Thanks, Java.

J

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

thanks JAVA. ya, i have had my eye on the book for a while now...

sounds like a well crafted peice of work...

TS

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Any book that can use the phrase "encyclopedic ignorance" sounds like a good one to me! I look forward to digging up a copy. (It's $10 on Amazon, gotta grab it when you buy your Xmas presents and get free shipping!)

Dave

• david_10
    david_10

Yes, I've read it--------------------------it is an excellent book and is the best one I've ever read about religion and it's influence on all societies & cultures. It skewers Islam, but it doesn't play favorites---------------------Christianity gets reamed pretty hard, too. As I recall, Buddism is the only one about which he has anything complimentary to say. You really can't argue with his reasoning, either. Harris has a very complex, yet orderly mind, and his arguments are very convincing. If you're a religious person and want to stay thay way, then don't read this book, because you won't look at your church the same way after you do. To me, reading End of Faith had the same effect as reading Crisis of Conscience---------------------COC exposes one false religion, and End of Faith exposes them all.

After you've read it, let us know what you think, Java.

David

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    we, as a species, have grown almost perfectly intoxicated by our myths.

Almost? Islam is there. Fundy Xtians only need a couple of more swigs.

• ICBehindtheCurtain
    ICBehindtheCurtain

Java, thanks, I must add this to my collection, I hope it really opens some minds, maybe, hopefully, help these religious zealots to put down their weapons, and contribute to the spread of peace around the world, oh, oh I feel a song coming on......

I know you say, I'm a dreamer

but I'm not the only one

I hope someday you will join us

and the world can live as one

by the late, great John Lennon, wherever you are buddy, I hope your dream comes true.

IC

• JAVA
    JAVA

David said: “To me, reading End of Faith had the same effect as reading Crisis of Conscience---------------------COC exposes one false religion, and End of Faith exposes them all. After you've read it, let us know what you think, Java.”
    David – Thanks for sharing your insights about the book. Your comparison of Crisis of Conscience and The End of Faith is very thought provoking and arouses my interest in the book even more so.
    I have a lot going on this week with family during the Thanksgiving Holiday, but look forward to the read. I’ll start a new thread on the book after reading it; perhaps others that have read it will join in, too. Thanks again for your observations.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit