Book - "A People for His Name" by Timothy White

by VM44 63 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Ticker
    Ticker

Seems very sympathetic to Russel, yet very informative of early doctrines most books fail to cover, but how does the rest of the material on Rutherford come across as? Is this book still available for purchase anywhere or is it out of print. Im guessing its out of print since it is being put into electronic form on that website.

Ticker

• VM44
    VM44

Kaput wrote that a copy was up at eBay for a starting price of $2000!

Ha Ha! Didn't sell at that price, they dropped it down to "only" $500.

"Rare Timothy White Jehovahs Witness People For His Name Item number: 6581269982"

• Kaput
    Kaput

I called Vantage Press today to see if, by some freak chance, there might be a few copies stashed away (a REAL stab in the dark, as the book was published almost 40 yrs. ago). No dice. No 2nd or 3rd editions, either. Evidently not enough initial copies were sold to warrant further printings. All extra copies were then returned to the author. Happy hunting, kids!

• VM44
    VM44

So the author might have a garage full of the books! --VM44

• VM44
    VM44

So books about JWs do not sell well? or at least not well enough to justify additional printings.

I understand now why there have been no biographies written about Russell or Rutherford.

Lack of interest shown by the book buying public.

Regardless of the JWs saying that the "eyes" of the world are upon their activity, no one really cares about them at all!

--VM44

• Kaput
    Kaput
    So the author might have a garage full of the books! --VM44

Either that or the WBTS got 'em and disposed of 'em. Remember --- that's "old" light. Don't wanna have any incriminating stuff out there.

Lack of interest shown by the book buying public.

Who of the public wants to read about a perpetual spiritual boot camp?

Regardless of the JWs saying that the "eyes" of the world are upon their activity, no one really cares about them at all!
    About the size of it. The only people who care are JWs and comedians.
  • stev
    stev

Years ago I was told by a JW researcher that the author Timothy White had thrown out the outsold copies of the book. The researcher was disappointed because he was willing to sell copies of the book.

I seem to recall that Timothy White is a pseudonym and not the author's real name. I think he was a professor of English.

Steve

• stev
    stev

The judge's ruling on the Russell divorce case can be found on the White webpage. I have never seen this on the internet elsewhere.

Steve

• stev
    stev

The advantage of the White book is that it explains the history from a doctrinal standpoint, beginning with Russell, then the doctrinal concerns around the time of his death, and then the controversy at Rutherford and the Board, and then the changes that Rutherford made. It is explained in simpler terms than the participants did. This is the perspective that the participants took at the time. Another advantage is that White used primary sources for his information, much of it from the Watch Tower and Bible student literature.

Steve

• VM44
    VM44

Does anyone know how to contact Timothy White?

I would like to write him about the possibility of reprinting his book. It was a book published before its time, today there is a larger market for it. It could be published by one of the "print on demand" publishers, say lulu.com.

If anyone has contact for Mr. White, please PM me.

--VM44

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit