They don't "own" God

by Jez 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Jez
    Jez

Yesterday, talking to a dear wise friend, she said about Jehovahs Witnesses, "They don't own God." That simple statement said so much to me. She said that so many religions have taken God and act like they and only they own him. That they have exclusive rights to him. That they and only they have the right to interpret his scriptures, his intent, his motives, his actions. She said that she finds this kind of thinking Satanic or anti-Christ. I had never thought of it in those terms before, "They don't own God."

Jez

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Yeah they dont own God. They have reduced God to the size of an sock puppet and have declared that no one else is allowed access. They can keep their sock puppet god.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

It's funny how these simple little revelations hit us when we are ready to hear them. We may have heard the same thing for years in one way or another but never got it. When the time is right, these "Ah, Hah!" moments can be very freeing.

Congratulations on kicking off one more layer of fear in your recovery from the cult that calls itself "Gods Chosen People" <shudder>

J

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

So true.

It's seems this is a problem with most religious dogma in that they create a very diminutive idea of a god, a thing, a commodity which they can then manage and copyright as their very own. Real harm arises from Lilliputian deities as they disunites us into the haves and have-nots. Whenever we make one thing, one person, one deity or group more or most holy and Divine, we subtract and make God less everywhere else in the universe.

The smaller our idea of God, the larger the amount there is to fear, hate and make war with.

j

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Jez,

Yesterday, talking to a dear wise friend, she said about Jehovahs Witnesses, "They don't own God." That simple statement said so much to me. She said that so many religions have taken God and act like they and only they own him. That they have exclusive rights to him. That they and only they have the right to interpret his scriptures, his intent, his motives, his actions. She said that she finds this kind of thinking Satanic or anti-Christ. I had never thought of it in those terms before, "They don't own God."
    I've never thought about it quite in those terms. But it's so true! How selfish and small-minded. Things I already knew, but put in this verbiage it takes on a deeper meaning. Thanks for that! Andi
  • Legolas
    Legolas

Any 'God' that would let the conditions go on in the earth as we see them today ( Not to mention what we don't even know about) is NO GOD...They can have him!

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    Any 'God' that would let the conditions go on in the earth as we see them today ( Not to mention what we don't even know about) is NO GOD...They can have him!

That's the thing Legolas. We don't know all that we don't see. I find it interesting when people are so willing to toss God because He/She/It doesn't "help them"...ease their pain, make life better, make the world better, etc. I struggle with this because to me, it's believing the JW Jehovah, which is not (IMO) a true depiction of God. I guess I liken it to a small child who thinks their world has come to an end when Santa doesn't give them what they want. Has the child's world really come to an end? In their mind, yes, but to a wiser more experienced adult, it's child's play. Or when an adolescent thinks their world has come to an end because their 14-year old crush broke up with them. Has the adolescent's world really come to an end? In their mind, yes, but to a wiser more experienced adult, again...it's child's play. It is my belief that this world is as it is for a reason. Is it perfect? No, not at all. But I don't believe this is all there is either. There is a better place for me in the future. This life is temporal and I try to take out of it the good I can. Learn the lessons I can. Enjoy the blessings I can. I can't have the good without the bad...it's a package deal. A package deal that is childish/adolescent living compared to what lies ahead. I guess that's why I don't worry about what I experience now. Because I know my future holds something better than what this world gives me. My best day here is worse than any bad day up there. Does this make sense? I'm not trying to push my beliefs onto anyone...just state why the state of this world doesn't bother me terribly. It's not where I place my hope and faith.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

"They don't own God."

No, but they sure try to. The JWs claim to use the bible as their authority, yet they are selective about which parts of it they use and which parts they disregard. They worship Jehovah on their terms. They make the rules. The real heads of Jehovah's Witnesses are the governing body and legal department. Jehovah and Jesus are barely tolerated.

W

• Gopher
    Gopher

At one circuit assembly, I remember hearing the speaker (maybe the district overseer) read a definition of JEHOVAH from some dictionary.

The second definition was "Jehovah (noun) -- the god of Jehovah's Witnesses".

The speaker was beaming with pride as he read this.

Indeed, "Jehovah" as the Watchtower defines him is THEIR god.

• willyloman
    willyloman

After 20 years as a dub, I came to realize that a relationship with God is a personal thing, not something to be put on display and publicly measured on a monthly basis.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit