Moon Halo's?

by Jordan 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Jordan
    Jordan

Has anybody seen many of these before, I just saw one as I was coming in from the pub, I thought I was imagining at first, until a friend rang me and told me to take a look at the sky, he seemed convinced it was aliens. Lol. Just interested, have they been there lots of times before and I've just missed them, or are they rare?

alt

That picture wasn't one I took, my camera doesn't have any batteries at the moment, but it looked pretty similar, not quite as bright though.

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

I used to see these all the time back home in New Mexico and no it is not rare. They are caused by the presence of ice crystals in the upper troposphere. The ice crystals refract the moonlight just like water droplets do to sunlight only in reverse and without elongating the wave so that you don't see a full-spectrum. Just the full bow of white light.

Very cool. i am envious. The only moon halos I see around here are in West Hollywood on a Saturday night and they ain't pretty believe me.

-Eduardo Leaton Jr., Esq.

• Jordan
    Jordan

I'm guessing they're more common in area's that frequently get cold weather with clear skies. It's very interesting to stand and watch, but then I realised the girl in the house opposite might think I'm trying to look into her bedroom so I ran inside.

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

by the way here is a link for you:

http://www.sundog.clara.co.uk/halo/common.htm

seems it is even more common in your area.

I have never seen a sundog but would love to. I miss the sunsets of New Mexico. New Mexico has the best sunsets in the world due to the clarity of the atmosphere, the elevation, broad expanse and cumulus clouds that tend to gather and push off towards the west at dusk.

• telltruth
    telltruth

the "moon halo's" are a result of refracton through ice crystalization in the upper atmosphere, relatively common if the sky is clear(no cloud cover) and the ambient light where you live permits. i will make a point of posting pictures of the phenom. soon. I have many photos of these taken over the years, many locations.....telltruth

• telltruth
    telltruth

"refraction".......i missed a key......telltruth

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

We've got it up here in the North of Scotland, too - looks beautiful!

It's a sure sign of bad weather, allegedly

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Littletoe,

well if by "bad" you mean cold weather then you are correct. The presence of ice crystals in the upper atmosphere means that a cold front is moving in so when you see the moon halo you can expect it to turn cold over the next week or so and that probably means some snow in most areas or at least frost in warmer climates.

• Jordan
    Jordan

Ah, crapping hell! My car frosted over within about three hours earlier, full frost, not just a light dusting, I bet it snows just when I need to be at uni the most! Damnit!

• Legolas
    Legolas

I was always told that that is a sign bad weather is coming !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit