France and burning cars

by breeze 5 Replies latest social current

• breeze
    breeze

I hear from the talk show jocks in the US that the Muslim community in France is burning much of France.

Is this true?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

NO FALSE - It is the poorer neighborhoods that have been overlooked and not integrated into French Society. As it ha[ppens, because of discrimination most of them happen to be Muslims

• chirac
    chirac

i' m french

in my region there is not the least problem

i think that the problem is the laxism of the last years not the religion

those who burn the cars are french or black from africa or mulsim from north africa or.......

the religion is not the origin of the problem

may be its the unemploiment

each person has a explanation,,,,,?,,,??????

IT S NOT THE END OF THE WORD IN FRANCE

YOU WILL BE WELCOMED

CHIRAC

EXCUSE MY POOR ENGLISH

• daystar
    daystar

Theodore Dalrymple had this to say back in 2002 on the timebomb he observed:

The Barbarians at the Gates of Paris

E veryone knows la douce France: the France of wonderful food and wine, beautiful landscapes, splendid châteaux and cathedrals. More tourists (60 million a year) visit France than any country in the world by far. Indeed, the Germans have a saying, not altogether reassuring for the French: “to live as God in France.” Half a million Britons have bought second homes there; many of them bore their friends back home with how they order these things better in France.

But there is another growing, and much less reassuring, side to France. I go to Paris about four times a year and thus have a sense of the evolving preoccupations of the French middle classes. A few years ago it was schools: the much vaunted French educational system was falling apart; illiteracy was rising; children were leaving school as ignorant as they entered, and much worse-behaved. For the last couple of years, though, it has been crime: l’insécurité, les violences urbaines, les incivilités. Everyone has a tale to tell, and no dinner party is complete without a horrifying story. Every crime, one senses, means a vote for Le Pen or whoever replaces him.

I first saw l’insécurité for myself about eight months ago. It was just off the Boulevard Saint-Germain, in a neighborhood where a tolerably spacious apartment would cost $1 million. Three youths—Rumanians—were attempting quite openly to break into a parking meter with large screwdrivers to steal the coins. It was four o’clock in the afternoon; the sidewalks were crowded, and the nearby cafés were full. The youths behaved as if they were simply pursuing a normal and legitimate activity, with nothing to fear.

Eventually, two women in their sixties told them to stop. The youths, laughing until then, turned murderously angry, insulted the women, and brandished their screwdrivers. The women retreated, and the youths resumed their “work.”

A man of about 70 then told them to stop. They berated him still more threateningly, one of them holding a screwdriver as if to stab him in the stomach. I moved forward to help the man, but the youths, still shouting abuse and genuinely outraged at being interrupted in the pursuit of their livelihood, decided to run off. But it all could have ended very differently.

Several things struck me about the incident: the youths’ sense of invulnerability in broad daylight; the indifference to their behavior of large numbers of people who would never dream of behaving in the same way; that only the elderly tried to do anything about the situation, though physically least suited to do so. Could it be that only they had a view of right and wrong clear enough to wish to intervene? That everyone younger than they thought something like: “Refugees . . . hard life . . . very poor . . . too young to know right from wrong and anyway never taught . . . no choice for them . . . punishment cruel and useless”? The real criminals, indeed, were the drivers whose coins filled the parking meters: were they not polluting the world with their cars?

*** You may read the entire article here - http://www.city-journal.org/html/12_4_the_barbarians.html ***

• bull01lay
    bull01lay

I heard it was 2nd / 3rd generation immigrants that are rioting because of their unfair treatment and unemployment, and comments like "they're scum" from politicians.

Being told that they'll "never really be french" by police antagonists didn't particularly help either. (info from news reports on Radio 4)

Welcome chirac - no need to apologise for your english - it's much better than most of our french !

Bull!

• Narkissos

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit