boring meetings

by Ray6 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Vitameatavegamin
    Vitameatavegamin

I would like to add that I do highly respect those who spend their time preparing talks, etc. I know how time consuming this can be. Public speaking in itself is a good thing to learn to do well. Not everyone has the talent. I in no way meant to put down the efforts made. Thanks!!

• Prisca
    Prisca

Ray6

I know what you mean about the boring meetings. If the brothers thought that this information was so important, then why not put some more effort into them?

I remember back in the 70s when COs would invite the kids to draw pictures of the paradise, or to write a little about what they would like to do in the new system. Then on the Friday night, he would invite them up onto the stage to present what they had done. The kids used to get a big kick out of it. After all, they were having a part in the meeting, and expressing it in their own words!

Sometimes I think the reason the bros don't make more effort into it, is because they are themselves bored with the info they are presenting. The Society leaves no room these days for the talks to be given with a bit of personality or creativity. Also, if this is the 10th time you had to give a talk on the trinity in 3 years, and you have no room to vary the info, then of course the bros are going to get bored presenting it.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

That's got me thinking: if everyone is expected to be at a convention which runs over a whole weekend, what happens to the Sunday meetings at the KH? Are they run by a skeleton crew to make sure it's open for a member of the public who might turn up and for those who just couldn't make the convention?

Prisca: YOU remember the 70s? You'd have been just a babe in arms - were you one of the kids who took your pic up the front? What was your picture of paradise like - did it have lots of cuddly bunnies in it?

• Hank
    Hank

: Are they run by a skeleton crew to make sure it's open for a member of the public who might turn up and for those who just couldn't make the convention?

According to the detailed statistics kept by the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society, there have only been 246 members of the the public who have ever attended a Public Talk. And almost all of them were homeless people looking to get out of either the rain or the snow. Ergo, closing down the Kingdom Halls for a convention does not present any problems.

Henry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit