boring meetings

by Ray6 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Ray6
    Ray6

Why don't the brothers put more feeling and encouragement in their parts(If they believe this is the truth-show it) Much of the information is above the heads of the children. I have to force myself to concentrate on what is being said and not fall asleep.
    Children are forced to sit for 2 hours or get smacked. You can just stay home and read over material. And what about traveling and spending on hotel, food, gas, etc. to another state to go to DC. to hear the same monotous info. How does anyone else feel about the meetings and what are your observations of things at the meetings

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

Due to the strict adherence to insider tools like the "Ministry School Guide Book - old and new, most participants are preconditioned into a condensed presenation format.

Really, if the guide books are examined in detail, they are more of a compilation of a variety of information ranging from english grammar to basic public speaking and other miscellaneous contents.

Since the focus of the organization has always been primarily to separate and distinguish itelf from mainstream denominations, it is obvious that the charismatic and dynamic approaches often used by pastors, ministers, teachers, clerics, evangelists, would be frowned upon by the WTBS in order to maintain a "sterile, clinical and businesslike, profesional approach" to the delivery of religious information.

• Vitameatavegamin
    Vitameatavegamin

I agree, at times the meetings can seem really boring. But it seems with the district conventions, people expect you to go because there is such a major deal made over them. You almost feel like you are committing a sin by not going. You are right, it is the same info. just repeated to a bigger audience.

And, after the conventions, people are always talking about what was said there, like it's some big revelation, in reality, nothing too new. Personally, i can't stand assemblies. They drive me nuts. All the people, seat saving and lines- same old thing year after year.
    Not to mention expensive. I feel sorry for people who may not have the money to go, they will be criticized for not being there, accused of not relying on Jehovah-really awful.

Just an observation, you know the scripture where Jesus says that "my load is light", meetings 3 days a week, meetings for field service,studying for every meeting, family study, personal study, weekly bible reading,field service and 2 circuit assemblies and 1 district convention-whew! I get tired just thinking about it all. I really am beginning to see how this all takes up you're ENTIRE life. You have no time to think about anything else. Since when in this a light load when the average person has to hold down a full time job and care for everyday necessites of life- Just a thought-Thanks!!

Remember, with Vitameatavegamin, you can spoon you're way to health!
    \

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

A few years ago, a story was told about some courageous witnesses who traversed piranha infested rivers in central and south america to attend meetings and they floated their clothes in packs.

The stories were told about the friends in sub-saharan africa who traveled on foot or by bicycle for up to two weeks in advance to arrive at the assemblies and conventions on time.

I once raised my hand and commented during a typical ministry school review of an assembly, that "if it took two weeks for these courageous friends to travel to the assembly, what did the elders say about the congregation meetings they missed in between"?.

Naturally, I offended everyone.

• humble
    humble

I, myself, try not to be overcritical of the brothers. I see their effort in trying to present the information. Many have spent hours reading and preparing the talk as well as practicing. Not everyone has the same abilities, but they try hard.

I try to make my talks interesting, using illustrations, experiences to explain points.

The kids in our congregation are not bored at all. Most of them comment a lot and have a good attitude about the meetings.

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1
    I once raised my hand and commented during a typical ministry school review of an assembly, that "if it took two weeks for these courageous friends to travel to the assembly, what did the elders say about the congregation meetings they missed in between"?.

Naturally, I offended everyone.

i dont say this much..but.

"now that is f*ckin funny sh*t"

please tell me this is true

• Naeblis
    Naeblis

I used to just sit in the back with a notebook and write. The meetings for me became a nice 2 hour break from the world where I got a lot of writing done. I never missed one til the last time I went ;P

• Ray6
    Ray6

Well, if so much effort is put into preparing for the talk, how about putting just the same amount of effort into giving it, let the audience go away feeling inspired to serve Jehovah. The kids in my observation are told to comment by the parents in some instances, and the really young get a kick out of being called on to comment. Good for you that you give great talks - you are a rare breed.

• dedalus
    dedalus
    I, myself, try not to be overcritical of the brothers.

Probably because you are so humble, humble.

I try to make my talks interesting, using illustrations, experiences to explain points.

Wow! You really are humble, humble!

Dedalus

• Michael3000
    Michael3000

**"if it took two weeks for these courageous friends to travel to the assembly, what did the elders say about the congregation meetings they missed in between"?.**

That's a pisser! You get big props for that one, my friend!

--Michael

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit