Have we just given up

by Frogleg 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• Frogleg
    Frogleg

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.
    Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always perseveres.
    Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away...And now these things remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Faith and love are apt to be spasmodic in the best minds. Men live on the brink of mysteries and harmonies into which they never enter, and with their hands on the door-latch they die outside.

Are we "apostates" on this board just people who have given up?

• upside/down
    upside/down

To the contrary...

u/d(of the I have not yet begun to fight class)

• Jordan
    Jordan

Giving things up is good for you... i.e. giving up smoking... So yeah, I've given up.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Given up what? Love? Do you call waht jws do love?

Nice words from paul. Yet, he was the corrupter of jesus' simple message. He made love conditional. That negates all of those nice words.

S, of the Make a list of things, and i'll tell you which ones i have given up class.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

You know I have been on this earth for a few years now. And I have experienced all manner of abuses on my body and my mind and my heart.

Although there have been times when I have thought about giving up, I have always found a way to survive, learn and grow from the experiences.

One thing I have learned is that there is the following:

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8
    A Time for Everything

1 There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven:

2 a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot,

3 a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build,

4 a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance,

5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain,

6 a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away,

7 a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak,

8 a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace.

Especially verse 6

6 a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away,

Leaving old hurts behind is NOT just giving up. As scary as it is to leave the old and try something new, searching and giving up can sometimes be the best thing you can do for yourself and others.

• Nate Merit
    Nate Merit

Hi Frogleg

I was DFed thirty-three years ago at the age of nineteen and have lived an entire lifetime since then. I became a born-again pentecostal Baptist minister at age twenty seven and started a number of charitable ministries. That wasn't giving up.

When I left the Christian fold and embraced Buddhism, I was one of three priests who founded Hongaku Jodo of America, a Shin Buddhist sect. We ministered to prison inmates, though the sect has taken a different direction since I stepped down from the board of directors, and retired from the priesthood.

Now, I try to help kids with my writing. Adults too.

There's always some way you can touch others in a positive way. I know its hard to do sometimes because life is rough on everyone.

I don't think of myself or anyone here as an apostate. We're people who, some way or another, broke free of slavery.

Have a great day!
    Nate

• defd
    defd

I think many are just plain ole WORE OUT.

D.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I've heard it said (Tim the toolman Taylor) that the opposite of love is not hate, but apathy. About issues and people we care about, think about it, we're red-hot. It could be red-hot passionately angry or plain red-hot passionate. Both are quite close in nature. I am passionate about the issues of abuse, manipulation, and control. I enjoy helping people set themselves free, awakening them to the possibilities, encouraging them to grow.

I'd say the people dying are the ones whose heart have left but they keep going through the motions for the sake of..... family.... eternity.... appearances.... fear.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

defd

I think many are just plain ole WORE OUT

I have to agree with you.

Christ said his load was light. Sadly the WTS places heavy weights on the backs of JWs with its countless rules that sometimes change so fast that people keep having to ask the elders what they should do in certain situations

• daystar
    daystar

Given up? Hell f**k no!

I'm just getting started!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit