I'm getting my first flu shot today.

by damselfly 17 Replies latest jw friends

• damselfly
    damselfly

I don't like needles. I've never gotten the flu shot before, but the last two winters I had the flu really, really bad and both years it developed into pnemonia. Very unfun.

So tell me about the flu shot. Will it really hurt? Will I get sick? Is the needle going to make me cry?

Dams

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

Yes. It's going to hurt a lot! It goes in your butt so every time you sit you feel it. And the needle is this big (and thick):

==============================================

Kwin

• damselfly
    damselfly

@ kwin

Dams

• coolhandluke
    coolhandluke

If I were slightly more irresponsible and if I could even stand needles, I'd totally be an IV drug user. Did he just say that? Yeah, he did. If you've ever been put out for surgery, you know what I mean. For that reason Dams, I can't tell you what it'll be like from personal experience. However, they had a big drive here at work. One of my co-workers said that he didn't even notice the needle going in. He was about to ask if the nurse was going to stick him and she was already swabbing the area and patting him on the head.

CHL

• coolhandluke
    coolhandluke

Why is that more funny imagining Beavis saying it? ROFLMAO

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I was going to say something glib like I'd rather have the flu (which is true), but not if it turns into pnuemonia. My boss had his done this morning and he hasn't spoken to me all day!

• Scully
    Scully

I got mine this morning at work.

It didn't hurt - they use very small needles and inject into your deltoid muscle. You can find the deltoid muscle injection site yourself by locating the bony prominence of your shoulder then placing 2 fingers just below that point.

The nurse will clean the area with rubbing alcohol and allow it to dry.

The injection itself is 0.5 mL (1/10 of a teaspoon) of flu vaccine. You shouldn't get sick, although if you have symptoms other than slight soreness at the injection site (like nausea, vomiting, fever, muscle aches etc) you should report this to the people who are running the flu shot clinic that you're attending.

I popped a couple of regular strength Tylenols just before getting the flu shot. The other nurse who went to get her shot was offered two Tylenols after having hers. That's just in case you have some discomfort in the injection site afterward. So far it's been 3½ hours since my shot and I feel fine.

(edited to smack Kwin upside the head for scaring people like that!!!! )

• damselfly
    damselfly

Thanks Scully, I am a bit relived now.

I can't get Kwin's post out of head!!! It's on a loop complete with the "hehehehehehehehe"

Dams

• Effervescent
    Effervescent

Pretty much what Scully said....

I'm not a big fan of needles either, but after four children I've resigned myself to them. I got my flu shot two days ago, it was my first one so I didn't know what to expect either. The nurse warned I may get body aches (very mild flu like symptoms) in the first 24 hours, but I didn't have anything at all. I took some Ibuprofen when I got home and I was just fine. The needle was tiny and didn't hurt more than an small pinch.

So here's to hoping the shot works this year!

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

Sorry for scaring you Dams. I've gotten the flu shot twice, and you don't even feel it. I was just playing with ya!

Kwin (rubbing his head from Scully's slap. OW. That stung!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit