So who are we? And why are we here?

by MsMcDucket 13 Replies latest jw friends

• FairMind
    FairMind

I am FairMind and I'm here because it is a slow day at work and I'm bored. I believe in creation but used to believe in evolution. If someone wants to believe in evolution that's OK with me, doesn't affect me personally at all. I'm also real good lookin' (IMHO).

• dezpbem
    dezpbem
    I, for one, will continue to live my life as I see fit. Are there gods out there? If so, they seem to not give a damn about what we do. Despite the believer's endless devotion to ;their dieties, they still grow old and die just like the atheists. So I'll just leave them all alone and enjoy the life I have!

CyrusThePersian

Quite an interesting perspective. One to chew on a bit.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

narkissos,

I must strive

to reach

again

the steep and uneasy place

where I will stand alone

past knowledge and belief

past answer and question

to hear the laugh of the long-dead gods

echo the sound of my voice

when I say I am.

brilliant. i love that.

who are we? we are the expression of genes. it may be the boring and plain answer, but it is the answer that is not only most parsimonious, but is aligned best with all the data. we are not us, except to us. to the universe, we are the expression of genes. same with all living things on this earth. bacteria are the expression of their genomes. fish, are the expression of their genomes. as are we. the output of computer programs, loosely speaking. we are special, just not in the traditional sense of the word, or the understanding of it. why are we here? because we are just here. no other reason. again boring, and yet parsimonious. we are here so that our genomes may survive and replicate on this planet. there is no destination. just now. there is no grand plan. just this, with all it's horrid hells, and all it's poetry. we are here so that our genes may continue on. everything you experience, even the magic, is the result of evolution by natural selection. there is no real point to our individual conscious existence. so just enjoy it for the miracle it is. people have a hard time with this. it's called incredulity. they don't want to accept it. and indeed it's one of the great ironies of evolution: that we think we are special, and because we think we are special, our genes survive and replicate. in short, we are here to die. to pass our genes on and die. without death, there is no evolution. without evolution, there is no life. TS
  • tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    Neither theory can be proven conclusively at this point, so it kind of comes down to what makes you most comfortable I suppose.

except that this puts the theory of evolution on the same 50/50 plane/playing field as the unfalsifiable hypothesis of creationism.

they are not equal. sure there are lots of things that the theory of evolution are yet to explain. however based on it's track record, it is safe to assume, very safe actually, that it is right, and creationism is wrong. plain and simple.

why does everyone have to be right? it is completely plausible that one party is correct, and the other is grossly wrong.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
    Carl Sagan
    TS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit