The Real Whore of Babylon

by Uncanny 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Uncanny
    Uncanny

Today I noticed on Television via 'Entertainment Tonight' how that supposed, self-proclaiming Jehovah's Witness 'sister' and top rating professional tennis player, Venus Williams, is back in the news again.

This time she was shown cuddling up to her Italian bodyguard. She had quite a loving expression on her face, while he had a glint in his eyes which seemed to say he'd like to do more things with Venus' well toned body than just protect it from intruders or perceived danger.

Last year, I posted on H 20 how appalled I was on viewing Sr Venus running around courtside with an American flag after she won Wimbledon in England. Then there were those stationary TV close-ups while she stood reverently at attention as they played the U.S. national anthem.

My gripe in all this blatant display of double standards not so much concerns Ms. Williams' antics, but rather how they continue to be tolerated by her religion's Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses. Yet again, these out of touch old fogeys continue to prove how there is one law for their rich and famous members, and another for rank and file JayDubs. Or do the powers that be continue to look the other way as long as the Williams girls keep pumping some of their multi-million dollar earnings into the bulging coffers at Brooklyn?

The real tragedy here concerns those faithful JW youngsters who still toe the line - often under much sufferance - to this incredibly outdated form of a Christian religion. Just think of all the potential sport champions who never were, simply because they were denied even their basic rights for participation in so called competitive sports at school. Once again, I offer my sympathy for how let down, ripped off and disappointed many Witness kids must feel in seeing this latest example of a baptised Witness living a life which is in direct contradiction to what they have been taught.

And yet, I refuse to condemn Venus Williams for such playful actions which are considered highly normal out here in the real world. But what next, Venus? A drug bust? Or maybe you'll be seen dining with Prince William next year at Wimbledon. (I hope so.)

No, Venus Williams is not the new whore of Babylon.
    It is this world's number one instrument of Christian hypocrisy - the Watchtower Society itself - which continues to commit fornication in the Holy Place.

Bring on Dateline, NBC. As soon as possible.

Uncanny

• Prisca
    Prisca

Good points, Uncanny.

Even though I am now an adult, I remember my disappointment in not being able to participate in any extra-curricular sports. I loved playing tennis and soccer, but I was not allowed to participate in anything that involved extra association with "wordly" people!

It will be interesting to see what the WTS does in relation to these girls. They seem pretty tolerant, although as we don't know any of the JW elders involved, we won't know the full story.

Even so, I congratulate these girls for their accomplishments. They would have forfeited many things to get to where they are, so good on 'em!

• AGuest
    AGuest

Dearest Uncanny... may you have peace!

May I ask, dear one, why the 'ire' at Ms. Williams? Has she personally done you some harm? Have you never been attracted to another? It would appear to me that if you have a problem with a 'double standard', then perhaps your chagrin should be at those who teach and OPERATE under a double standard... and not those who choose to live their lives regardless of what such 'teacher' of double standards has to say. Yes?

I cannot see in what you have observed, ANYTHING deserving of implying Ms. Williams to be a 'whore of Babylon', as you have stated. Do you know her heart or her devotion... to God OR to the WTBTS? Methinks you know what you read, and we ALL know that great care must be taken there, yes? I say this because of the implications of the TITLE of your post, in conjunction with its subject.

There are many young people who say positive things about the 'borg... publicly... for the love a parent, etc. But such ones are just as able to see the hypocrisy... and want to live a life FREE from it... as the next. It seems to ME that Ms. Williams is not as 'dedicated' to the 'borg as some would have her... but had NO problem declaring her love for God (Jehovah), as she knows Him.

There is no 'law' against love... and the only 'laws' I have EVER seen the Williams sisters 'break', are those set up by a false prophet anyway.

Prisca, dear one... I congratulate YOU... for your 'insight' and tolerance with regard to these girls. Again, we don't know EVERYTHING about everyone... yes?

I bid you both peace... and may JAH bless!

YOUR servant and a slave of Christ,

SJ

• Moxy
    Moxy

with all due respect aguest, it seems you didnt read uncanny's post beyond the subject line and a glance to note venus williams was the topic.

mox

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1

with all due respect to everyone.......do you know the current standing of the sisters in the org?...are they in good standing?
    to what extent are they involved in the org?

proclaiming you are a witness does not a dub mak

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

While I am elated at the media coverage of the WTBS, I am also annoyed at the reports of "so-called witnesses" like the Williams sisters.

Unless someone from the congregation that they or their family supposedly attended posts some clarification here, then all we have is another case that resembles the idiot in GA a few years ago who had studied, then stopped and was never baptized, but killed his family or committed suicide. I don't remember exactly, but the point is it accomplishes absolutely nothing!

• AGuest
    AGuest

Hello, dear Moxy... and may you have peace!

I actually did read it; I just read it from Uncanny's perspective... and from what may be other's. I just think the Williams sister's get a bad 'rap' from people who don't even know them due to their association(?) with the WTBTS. Yes, I know Uncanny has no problem with 'em, really, but his/her depiction of Venus and her bodyguard was, IMHO, unfair... and an 'opinion'. Anyone else may have seen it differently...)

I mean, the Wayans brothers were raised Witnesses and NO ONE says too much about them. What's up with that?

I bid you peace.

A slave of Christ,

SJ

• Naeblis
    Naeblis

"And yet, I refuse to condemn Venus Williams for such playful actions which are considered highly normal out here in the real world. But what next, Venus? A drug bust? Or maybe you'll be seen dining with Prince William next year at Wimbledon. (I hope so.)

No, Venus Williams is not the new whore of Babylon.
    It is this world's number one instrument of Christian hypocrisy - the Watchtower Society itself - which continues to commit fornication in the Holy Place."

Did NOONE read this part????? Criminy.

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

Whether we discuss the Jacksons, the Wayans, and now the Williams Sisters, what we are really examining are not actual JW's. Irregardless of their baptized status or lack thereof, all are essentially convinced and reconciled in their consciences and have no qualms whatsoever about exercising personal freedom and pursuing their goals.

That exercise of freedom is precisely what invalidates these expose stories! If they had the gumption to exercise it, then they were never really hard core rank and file JW's to begin with, only casuals.

So they are NOT a reflection of the WTBS or its policies, rather they prove that many who are under the WTBS umbrella do not actually believe and pounce on the most promising opportunity. I do not find them or their choices objectionable. They are actually stronger than many double-life JW's currently in the borg.

• JanH
    JanH

UR,

Irregardless...

Tsk tsk tsk!

Sorry, could not resist

- Jan
    --
    Faith, n. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel. [Ambrose Bierce, The DevilĀ“s Dictionary, 1911]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit