Is the bible just Jewish Mythology?

by MsMcDucket 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The text isn't concerned with this question. The reason why they became slaves, according to the text, is that they were becoming too numerous and the new Egyptian king wanted control over them. Nowhere is there any indication that the Israelites at the time deserved the slavery they were forced into. Joseph and his brothers enjoyed favor when Genesis drew to a close, and it is in the beginning of Exodus when a new king arises and things change.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas
    I'm starting wonder about all kinds of things, lately. Just like the Greeks and Romans had their mythological gods, the Jews did too?? The bible is just different stories told by men under the influence of what???

It's easy to get lost in the vast minutia of the Bible; but perhaps, just perhaps, what you are really wondering is: what is true? When we begin to pull our heads out of the dark orifice of religious beliefs, the deities we once worshipped and laid our lives upon may start to seem moronic, and we don't know exactly where to go from here. In other words, if the Bible and it's little anthropomorphic god's is wrong, where does that leave me? What is true? Where do I go from here? How about not going anywhere or collecting any new beliefs, and just be present, right here. The only reality, the only truth we have, is this moment of existence. What is here that we have missed because we gave our precious attention to stories from a book? How deep does this vibrant actuality of life in and around me go? What is at my core? Who am I, really? Be still, and know... j

• onacruse
    onacruse

Good topic!

In my own (reluctant) discoveries, one of the most shocking was to see how the fluidity of human existence and experience so often (I might even say, inexorably) coalesces into the rigidity of "sacred [or, shall we say "scared"?] scripture (of any kind)", and thence into a consequent controlling-structure religion, in hundreds of thousands of variants.

It's almost like that last baked potatoe you ate...can you remember how it was different from the one before, or from the very first one, you ate?

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

to Second James' sentiments, all Belief Systems [BS] are simply that BS, they are mental inventions to explain experiences to the best of our minds limited abilities.... the more we realise how little we really know the better off we are in our ability to pay attention to what is actually happening without the BS filters that cloud our view.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit