by Nathan Natas 25 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

http://www.newsobserver.com/141/story/363433.html

Published: Nov 09, 2005 12:30 AM
    Modified: Nov 09, 2005 07:40 AM

Attorney says elder 'gave in to temptation'

Jessica Rocha, Staff Writer

A former Jehovah's Witnesses spiritual leader told the Chatham County Sheriff's Office last year that he had made a terrible mistake when he had sexual contact with a teenage girl, his lawyer said in an opening statement Monday.

Oscar Omar Osorto Sr. also told law enforcement that he arranged for two sisters to spend time with their boyfriends -- including renting them motel rooms -- even though such relations were prohibited by the groups' religion, public defender Ken Richardson told jurors. "On two occasions he gave in to temptation and had sex contact [with one of the sisters]," Richardson said.

Osorto, 47, of Liberty faces 27 sex-related charges, including charges of first-degree statutory rape of two sisters. A third sister also is expected to testify that Osorto abused her. The abuse allegedly started when the girls were 12 and continued for four years. Osorto was kicked out of the Jehovah's Witnesses after the allegations surfaced.

Assistant District Attorney Kayley Taber said the girls' mother was very strict, as was the church.

But Osorto, a church elder, would manipulate the girls, including offering them privileges like setting up trysts with their boyfriends in exchange for sexual favors, Taber said.

According to one sister, now 17, Osorto would take her at night to the Siler City Kingdom Hall. In the library, Osorto would have sex with the girl.

"I can remember the lights going out and him telling me that he can help me look better," the girl testified. After that, "he told me to take my pants off."

But Richardson in his opening statement questioned the girls' stories, saying they were "eerily similar, almost as if they were using each others' words."

Staff writer Jessica Rocha can be reached at 932-2008 or [email protected].

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

well at least the jws kicked him out. but for his defence to say it was a terrible mistake! ugh! has he been sentenced yet?

• in a new york bethel minute
    in a new york bethel minute

yipes... how does someone fake it for that long? how can someone stand and give talks and public prayers and comments and go in service when he is doing this on the side... how would he deal with being part of a judicial committee and perhaps be party to disfellowshipping someone for immorality?

bethel

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

I hope he's not sentenced until a jury decides he is guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. What if his conscience bothered him and he put an end to these secret trysts with these girls' boyfriends, and so the girls concocted a story about him engaging in sexual congress with them? Innocent before being proved guilty, I say. He admits to two encounters, but there's 27 counts against him. Let's let the law decide before we condemn him to the valley of Hinnom.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

If you're in town, stop by and say "HI:"

Kingdom Hall of Jehovah Witnesses
    Alston Bridge Road, Siler City, NC 27344
    (919) 663-3501

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    But Richardson in his opening statement questioned the girls' stories, saying they were "eerily similar, almost as if they were using each others' words."

Yah! It just couldn't possibly be because he used the same words/manipulation on each of 'em now, could it?!!!? His defense attorney is obviously just putting a "defense spin" on the sameness of his M.O. with each victim.

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

I sent her an e-mail, and she did reply. If any of you guys want to add your 2 cents...

• unique1
    unique1

Holy Moly, That is right up the street!!!!!!!!

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

figures, another one!

• stillconcerned
    stillconcerned

NN-

What's the link?

thx-

kdn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest