Public Speaking...

by Jordan 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Jordan
    Jordan

I might need to talk tomorrow, I know it sounds silly but, for a good few years now, I've had major confidence issues when it comes to public speaking, anything else I'm fine with, and sometimes a bit of an extrovert, but put a microphone in front of me, and I'll stutter and fall apart before your eyes. Well, a friend of mine was meant to give a pub quiz tomorrow, and I've reluctantly been pushed into doing it instead, it's not a big deal at all, it just means reading questions and answers into a microphone, but I know I'm going to balls it up. Have any of you got any tips for getting over this stupid phobia I seem to have developed?

• toby888
    toby888

From what I learned in my college speech class, preparation beforehand will give you all the confidence you need. The more you prepare, the more confident you will be.

• Jordan
    Jordan

Haha, that's the one thing I can't really do, the sheets with the questions and answers on are gonna be at the pub waiting for me tomorrow... lol

• Jordan
  • Legolas
    Legolas

Have a few drinks before you do it!

• Jourles
    Jourles

Oh jeez, a pub quiz?? Dude, drink a few and you will be good to go. All of your fears will disappear. Trust me. If I have a speaking engagement for work, I will down a quick shot of whatever it is I have on hand to calm the nerves. I am a much better speaker with a tad bit of alcohol in me. In fact, I turn into a super-speaker.

Liquid Courage.

• Jordan
    Jordan

I've got to be careful with the drinking tonight, It's my turn to drive, but, I guess a swift pint before hand isn't gonna hurt...

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

Well I have no advice to give, but I just wanted to wish you the best of luck and hope everything goes well for you!

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

Try enrolling in the Theocratic Ministry School.

It prepares you better than college ever could.

-ithinkisee

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Relax. Stand up straight. Pick a point above poeples heads at first, then you can begin to speak directly to the audience as you relax and get going.

Take a deep breath, and smile. They won't bite... really!

Good luck and have fun!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit