Has Depression & Anger Lessened Since You've Stopped Attending Meetings?

by minimus 25 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I see a lot of happier people around here. Do you feel better now that you're out? Or are you ravaged by guilt, now?

• daystar
    daystar

I feel much better generally. However, since I was ingrained at a very early age, I still find glorious nuggets of JW thinking deep below the surface at times. It is still very irritating and depressing at times.

• coolhandluke
    coolhandluke

Guilt seems to creep in here and there. Most of the time the general happiness regarding my energies being devoted to something worthwhile of my choosing over-encompasses any fleeting negativity. Truly, I love my life. It is what I choose it to be.

• Apostanator
    Apostanator

Depression and Anger rear it's ugly head once in a while. However it's the Anger that's prominent at times. I get sooo pissed when thinking about the Org. and the bullshit I went through.

• luna2
    luna2

I have a natural tendancy towards guilt and depression so its always lurking there in the background, but it's much, much better than when I was an active JW.

I still have a ways to go in getting rid of the unnecessary guilt and self-hatred, but at least I'm making progress now.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

It's defiantely lessened a great deal. During the previous 18 months before leaving/joining here, I think I was on the way to having a full, emotional/nervous breakdown. Depression and guilt really tore me apart, on top of my life's problems.

• forsharry
    forsharry

Do I feel better?! I'm alive now! I'm actually living my life!

Does that mean my anger and depression has gone away? I'm getting there. I buried a lot of my feelings toward the religion and it did nothing but poison and I'm sure aided me in my downward spiral that I had been on up until recently. With the help of therapy and myself, I'm getting better...but I have never been happier than I am at this point, recently married to a wonderful "Worldly" man, getting my sh!t straight, saving for the future, heck, just thinking about the future...that in itself makes me ecstatic.

I mean, how many of you all were terrified thinking about tomorrow and the next day and the next in the organization? I was terrified. I wasn't looking forward to Armegeddon, I was living in abject terror of it. Because, of course, you never really knew if you would survive it...grace is not given, you have to work for it...so I went to bed everynight scared to death that I hadn't done enough, that I wasn't good enough. Ya'll know.

• minimus
    minimus

If you're a guilty type, keeping a JW in line is easy. Once you learn to get over your guilt, you can exorcise the Watchtower demons.

• Plummet
    Plummet

I have been s l o w l y fading for over a year now and it has been a couple months since my last meeting (I thought only businesses had meetings, anyhow) I have noticed that I am feeling better. I still have my ups and downs, thankfully it is more ups and less downs.

Plummet

• JH
    JH

I'm not the type to get depressed, so that's fine.

Anger? Not sure, just deceived that the love I thought they had for me was genuine. It was conditional.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit