% Women vs. % Men in JW

by void 19 Replies latest jw friends

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Well my great-grandmother was the one who converted (on my mother's side) and then years later my grandmother got baptised before my grandfather did (on my father's side) so it could make sense.

• freedomlover
    freedomlover

This is a topic near to my brain lately. I've been wondering this exact thing for awhile....

Hmmm....my theory is women seem to be affected to "DO SOMETHING" when they are motivated by guilt, fear, or/and shame.

Guys just tend to say - whatever. I'm not lifting my ass no matter how much you want to use guilt, fear, and/or shame.

Women also, in my opinion, like to feel security more so then men. I think security of religion, even if it's a false security, is comforting to a lot of women.

Just my thought........

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    I'm not lifting my ass no matter how much you want to use guilt, fear, and/or shame.

That's generally my attitude, whether it's about doing the dishes, taking out the garbage, or mowing the lawn.

W

• freedomlover
    freedomlover
    That's generally my attitude, whether it's about doing the dishes, taking out the garbage, or mowing the lawn.

W

SEE!! I thought this theory may have a little validity to it!

• Confession
    Confession

My two cents. I believe that temperament is a better indicator of behavior than sex, but there are some aspects of temperament that identify differences between the sexes. I'm here referring to the Myers-Briggs Temperament Index.

Interestingly out of the four elements of human temperament, only one of them shows any significant difference among the sexes: that of Thinking versus Feeling. In one study it was determined that 43% of men show a preference for Thinking versus only 24% of women. Please understand this is not suggesting that 57% of men and 76% of women don't know how to "think." It only means that they pay at least a bit more attention to their feelings than to their thoughts. Decisions and behavior come more from emotions and desires than from logic. One interesting thing I've noted is that the difference here (between men and women) may not be as big as most think. Nonetheless there is a difference.

I submit that those among us who are given to challenging conventional thinking and authority structures are primarily from the Thinking camp. And while a minority of men are actually in that group, an even smaller percentage of women are.

• rmt1
    rmt1

Mes deux centimes. (re blondie) Women are more socially conditioned for cooperation and delayed gratification vis a vis men, as well as social fulfillment in roughly egalitarian groups. Men are conditioned for competition, yes, even JW boys who are not *told* they’re being conditioned or groomed for competition under a theocratic merit/nepo/aristocracy. (re freedomlover) Part of this social conditioning is purely related to the brute economics of being JW. You have the face-to-face assurance that if you’re down and out, some brother or sister will help you subsist. (Whether or not this happens is entirely irrelevant to the assurance factor at retention.) This is a baseline fall-back position upon which JWs make their main selling point of community and equality, while not as great a percentage of men fall into this segment of economic non-independence/non-solvency. Why did Bush have so many blue mothers vote red? Security. Their maternal evolutionary sense of duty to future generations took precedence over other concerns. (I voted blue but I would never opt to short-circuit biologic intuition…) The term “Hall” denotes public space owned and operated by the public, to which the public can retire or retreat or assemble. “Kingdom” implies plenty and beneficience, like in a patron client relationship. “Kingdom Hall” implies at base a communal shelter from economic brutalities which forms the home-base or kernel of any attempt at self-improvement. *Confession, do you mind extracting that regarding “social feeling” vis a vis “religious feeling”? I would think that the stereotype that women are somehow more inherently religious or more inherently devoted to a Mesopotamian cumulonimbus Herm is a construction that favors men as more the providers of, less needers of, such communion.

• searcher
    searcher

Its a sign that the End ™ is near

2Timothy 3 But know this, that in the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here. 2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, self-assuming, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal, 3 having no natural affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness, 4 betrayers, headstrong, puffed up [with pride], lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God, 5 having a form of godly devotion but proving false to its power; and from these turn away. 6 For from these arise those men who slyly work their way into households and lead as their captives weak women loaded down with sins, led by various desires, 7 always learning and yet never able to come to an accurate knowledge of truth.NWT
  • theinfamousone
    theinfamousone

i think cuz theyre smaller the crack gets to their heads faster...

the infamous one

• Confession
    Confession
    Confession, do you mind extracting that regarding “social feeling” vis a vis “religious feeling”? I would think that the stereotype that women are somehow more inherently religious or more inherently devoted to a Mesopotamian cumulonimbus Herm is a construction that favors men as more the providers of, less needers of, such communion.

rmt1, I haven't found it easy following you. Are you asking me to comment on whether there is a difference between "social feeling" and "religious feeling" with reference to the Myers-Briggs Temperament Index? Mesopotamian cumulonimbus Herm? Isn't "cumulonimbus" a sort of cloud formation?

I'll give you as much information about the Feeling vs. Thinking element of MBTI as I can. Dr. David Keirsey thinks it may be better identified as "Tough-Minded vs. Tender-Hearted." The following is taken from his website.

Everybody has thoughts (T) and feelings (F) but some pay more attention to their thoughts than to their feelings while others pay more attention to their feelings than to their thoughts. Those who attend mainly to their thoughts are said to govern themselves with their head, their concepts and percepts being their guides to action. In contrast, those who pay more attention to their feelings are said to follow their heart, which means that much of what they do is based on emotion or desire. If we use a distinction made by the great pragmatist William James, some people are more "tough-minded" and others more "tender-minded." But if we note the words Myers used in her type portraits, we see that her distinction is between those who can be called "tough-minded" and those who can be called "friendly."

There is some criticism exchanged between these types. The Tough-minded are often accused of being "inhuman," "heartless," "stony-hearted," "remote," of having 'ice in their veins," and of living "without the milk of human kindness." In the same way, the Friendly are chided for being "too soft-hearted," "too emotional," "bleeding-hearts," "muddleheaded," "fuzzy-thinkers," and for "wearing their heart on their sleeve."

Such accusations can be vehement and damaging, particularly in marriages and other family relationships, when two people of different orientation are in conflict over an important decision. An ENFP wife, for example, might want her INTP husband to open up emotionally and "let his feelings show," while he might wish she "would be logical for once." Or an ESTJ father might want his ISFP son to straighten up and "use his head" for a change, while the son might wish his father could "lighten up" and be more understanding of what he really is and can do.

Another polarizing (and inaccurate) stereotype is that the Friendly types have more and deeper emotions than the Tough-minded types -- one side is seen as sensitive and warm-hearted, and the other seen as insensitive and cold-hearted. Here again, however, the truth is that both react emotionally with similar frequency and intensity, the difference being a matter of display. The Friendly tend to make their emotions and wishes quite visible and audible, so others see them as capable of deep feelings. To be sure, when they show their feelings, others cannot help being affected, their own emotions even aroused by the display. The Tough-minded, in contrast, are embarrassed by an exhibition of intense feeling, and will hide their feelings rather than be seen as losing self-control. Because of this, they are often described as "cold" and "indifferent," when in fact they are feeling something quite strongly -- only working hard to contain themselves.

When they can get past the stereotypes, these two orientations usually find they can complement each other quite well, whether in business or in marriage, with the Tough-minded partner providing a source of clarity and toughness, and the Friendly partner providing a source of compassion and personal consideration.

So what I'm suggesting is that we will find a greater percentage of those who choose to seek the emotional and spiritual shelter of an organized religion to be of the Feeling group. If this is true it would follow that those who choose not to be a part of such religions will come from the Thinking group. Most men (57%), but an even greater majority of women (76%) are Feelers. I believe this may explain why there are more women among the JWs than men.
  • rmt1
    rmt1

Good enough. I was trying to account for those types of JW men who have intense emotions inwardly, and intense loyalty to the organization (my one friend wrote epic poetry about Jesus and Satan jousting at Armageddon like he was an Alexander Pope...), but who typically repress outward emotion. I figure that these are rare and disproproportionate vis a vis women who are looking for a more complete package of emotional exchange.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit