MICHAEL, Jesus or someone else?

by cyberguy 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cyberguy
    cyberguy

What is your view? Is the Michael in the Bible Jesus or someone else? I've heard and read much debate on this important question, but I would appreciate your views! I haven't made up mind just yet. Thanks in advance!

Cyber....

• carla
    carla

Have you read Hebrews, at least the first page?

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Definitely someone else.

"Michael" belongs to the apocalyptic tradition initiated by Daniel, which later develops, especially in 1 Enoch, into the concept of several archangels as distinct from the heavenly "Son of Man" (equally originating in Daniel). Jude who is the only NT reference for "the archangel Michael" explicitly quotes from 1 Enoch and so refers to this tradition. Revelation portrays Jesus as the Son of Man and apparently makes Michael a distinct character too (the "seven angels" also point to the Enochian tradition of "archangels").

Now there is a distinct reception of some apocalyptical stuff in the globally non-apocalyptic work of Philo, who calls the "Son of God" the "archangel". This is reflected in Justin Martyr and his angelic christology. But neither of them afaik refer to Michael. Such an angelic christology is conspicuously absent from the NT (except perhaps some allusions in Stephen's talk, Acts 7). The book of Hebrews, which shares many Philonian concepts, especially strives to separate the "Son" from "angels".

There have been so many threads on this issue and I can't even find one. If somebody finds (a good) one it would be worth linking to it from the "Best of" section, as the issue comes up every other week.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

I've just done a search on Google and it brought up several links to JWD threads as well as some interesting other links.

Perhaps that'll help?

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Google gives me more on Michael Jackson than on Michael Jesus...

Here's one of the latest from my post history: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/98558/1.ashx

• gumby
    gumby

I tried typing in his name and this was all I got. Kinda looks like Jesus around his eyes though.

• in a new york bethel minute
    in a new york bethel minute

even many witnesses know jesus is not michael...

when i show my mother scriptures that specifically say that jesus is NOT an angel, she says, "well the society says, 'evidently jesus is michael the archangel', because there is evidence but not as much solid evidence as they need to say FOR SURE."

bethel

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

Look on Page 281 under the other forum, Beliefs, Doctrines and Practices, under: Is Michael the Archangel really Jesus?

Joseph

• I-CH-TH-U-S
    I-CH-TH-U-S
    Have you read Hebrews, at least the first page?

Hebrews 1:5-6

5 For to which of the angels did God ever say,

"You are my Son;

today I have become your Father [1] " [2] ? Or again,

"I will be his Father,

and he will be my Son" [3] ? 6 And again, when God brings his firstborn into the world, he says,

"Let all God's angels worship him." [4]

1. Hebrews 1:5 Or have begotten you
    2. Hebrews 1:5 Psalm 2:7
    3. Hebrews 1:5 2 Samuel 7:14; 1 Chron. 17:13
    4. Hebrews 1:6 Deut. 32:43 (see Dead Sea Scrolls and Septuagint)

Michel would bever be worshipped (because then he would be a idol/false god, same concept goes with jesus if he is not God, see below)

AND that is just one part of hebrews 1, the whole thing is full of jesus aint michel stuff let alone trinity stuff example in verse 3 - "the son is the radiance of God's Glory..." (cross reference Jn 17:5, “So now you, Father, glorify me alongside yourself with the GLORY that I HAD alongside you before the world was”) but Isa 42:8 says, “I am Jehovah. That is my name; and to no one else shall I give my own glory…” Isa 48:11 says, “… And to no one else shall I give my own glory .”

just another thought that goes along wit hebrews 1

• hooberus
    hooberus

I hope to (Lord willing) to do a thread on this issue (showing that Jesus is not an angel) this week. It will probably be posted under beliefs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit