I'm livid & angry & sick!!!

by mamochan13 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

I've finally had the opportunity to read the October 1, 2005 Watchtower regarding education. Even though this board had already prepared me for what I was going to be seeing, it still surprised me. I cannot believe that they are still demonizing post secondary education. I cannot believe that thinking, reasonable people could possibly still be accepting this crap. My generation has paid a terrible price for the anti-education fervor that accompanied the 1975 debacle. These individuals are all now parents who are reading the article, "parents-what future do you want for your children?". We are the one's who gave up high school to go pioneering, who tried to carve out careers as janitors, who found ourselves with nothing - no education, no skills, no job. And they expect that these parents are going to buy this renewed attack on education?

Sorry for the rant...I can barely see straight right now, I'm so angry. It hurts me so much to remember how much I've lost, only now regaining. When I think what my life could be now, if I had not listened to this same garbage a generation ago.

My family, my brother and sister, they should have learned their lesson - and their kids are all in university or college. But they are still fully embracing the JW way of thinking. I keep wondering how they will justify this at this weekend's study, when all the judgemental little people put their hands up and comment about the "cost of higher education" and condemn parents who "knowingly expose" their children to the horrible university environment steeped in "immorality and bad behaviour" so they can "indulge in selfish pursuits" chasing a "glamorous" career in order to become "rich and influential"--only to be faced with the "chilling scenario" of not finding employment that matches their degree!

It makes me sick, and so angry. Why does it still bother me so much after all this time?

Thanks for letting me vent.

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

Now stop that. The end is just around the corner. How will people get saved through becoming a JW if all the pimply young pioneers are studying at University. And anyway, there is dignity in all labour, including toilet and carpet cleaning.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

I believe that the way this religion discourages children from taking opportunities is one of its saddest effects. The old men in Brooklyn can make such decrees with impunity. They don't have to try to make a living in the real world. They don't have to face hospital bills or retirement. They don't need to worry about where their next meal will come from. It's easy for them to discourage education from their office headquarters, where they have everything they need.

In my old hall there was a couple with a little kid, about six years old. He was just a great little guy. He was really smart and well-spoken, and even at his young age, you could see that he had the makings of big things written all over him. It breaks my heart now to think about all the kids like this who will grow up in an environment that heavily discourages them from going to school, from finding a fulfilling career, from making a difference in the world. The sheer waste of such potential is staggering. Taking such promising raw material and forcing it into a shallow mould of pioneer drudgery -- the loss of human life is terrible and real.

SNG

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Mamochan, I know just how you feel. I'm 41 and I'd bet anything you are within a few years of that yourself. This scan comes from the February 2004 'Our Kingdom Ministry'. In particular, check out paragraph 4, it was discussed here:- http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/18/64454/1.ashx Get ready to pewk!

alt

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I just read that article in the October Wt last nite. I had not picked up a Wt for nearly two years, but a witness still occasionally leaves them with my dad. I was over to his house and saw that same article. It was the same ole' recycled garbage that stopped me from becoming something in the early seventies when I graduated high school.

Life is too short to spend in regrets I suppose, but that is one of mine. With the career I had in mind I would be retired now and enjoying life at 50. I had the brains and the opportunity, all squandered to sell chinzy magazines for a book publisher. Gad, it just makes me weak in the knees to think about all those bright little witness kids being shoved down that same path....

Jeff

• ICBehindtheCurtain
    ICBehindtheCurtain

This is one of the things that really makes my blood boil. There's another topic on a bethel sister that got some award, and is going to Columbia U in NY, who is pursuing a Law degree, paid for by WTS the donations sent to expand the worlwide work brainwashing, what hypocrisy, but they are saying JW children shouldn't get a higher education, what bull!

You know this sounds like what happened when christianity started and throughout it's history, really, here was a movement that kept people ignorant, and poor, with the message of don't pursue material wealth, don't listen to philosophy, obey the authorities, turn the other cheek, bla bla bla bla, what a load of CRAP! keep the masses stupid, while the leaders empower and educate themselves.

Thankfully, in my family we are now aware of this charade, and are all educating and empowering ourselves, I want to go to college for the first time (it's never too late) and study history, hopefully get to give lectures to students on how that collection of stories and myths called the bible was put together. My children will have the opportunity to get a college education, which my husband and I never did, because of this religion.

IC

• M*A*S*H
    M*A*S*H

I wonder how well the borg would operate if they practiced what they preached... they make a point of being 'no part of the world' where it suits them. I think they should immediately impose rules that state no Jehovah's Witness will be appointed to a position of authority if they've got anything more that a High School diploma.

"I'm sorry Brother Jimbob, you can't be a Elder.... you're over-qualified..."...

"I'm sorry Brother Smith, you can't help us invest our vast $$$$ Bethal fortunes... I'm afriad that Degree in Finance & Economics puts you right out of the picture...."

It's so stupid, it's just not funny anymore

• Big Dog
    Big Dog
    There's another topic on a bethel sister that got some award, and is going to Columbia U in NY, who is pursuing a Law degree, paid for by WTS the donations sent to expand the worlwide work brainwashing, what hypocrisy, but they are saying JW children shouldn't get a higher education, what bull!

Its like Orwell said, they are all pigs, just some pigs are more equal than others.

• daystar
    daystar

Just one of the many, many, many reasons my son will be made very aware of such high-control groups as the JWs. And I will never, ever take him to a KH. I let his grandparents take him on a couple occasions when he was a bit younger. But he's four now, and I don't want him exposed to such lunacy.

• Nate Merit
    Nate Merit

Speaking from both sides of the fence, clergy and laity, I have concluded that religion attracts a certain mentality and emotional makeup. The more irrational and authoritarian the religion, the more extreme the mental and emotional makeup of those attratced to the religion. Remember, religion is about believing in fairy tales into adulthood. Adults who believe in fairy tales need help, for they are stunted in every way an adult can be stunted. They have retreated into a fairy-tale because they cannot handle the reality of what the world and adult life is like. Only their world of make-believe keeps them going, so they must believe the fairy-tales with fervor. The greater the fervor, the more emotionally unstable and mentally defective the religionist.

Religious functionaries, clergy (such as Baptist ministers and Buddhist priests) are a refined type of con-man. Certainly, many are nice people are try to help their congregants, but at core they are con-men. When I was a Baptist minister and Buddhist priest, I had moments of realization of what I was and what I was doing. That's a big reason I am no longer a con-man wearing a clerical collar.

Evidently, you have awoken from the fairy-tale but are surounded by family who are still immersed in make-believe. You're in a tough position, especially being a JW. Try to realize deep inside yourself that you cannot help these people. Their lives are their lives. They have chosen to stay in the nuthouse, no one is forcing them. The reason for this is your own peace of mind. The younger of my two sisters in a fire-breathing Southern Baptist, and she is deeply immersed in the literalist Christian fantasy. I love her, but cannot do anyting for her. So I give myself a break and let her live her life, such as it is.

Life is brief and full of strife. Try to eliminate those sources of strife you have control over. This is one of them. You have complete control over your feelings and reactions to your familys involvement in the WTBTS fantasy.

Here is a rap song I wrote a few years back when I was learning to distance myself from the religiosity of my sisters and cousins:

Religion Is A Crutch

by: "Brutha Nate"

Religion is a CRUTCH
    for those that can't hack it
    Religion ain't NOTHIN'
    but a FUNERAL RACKET!

Get you focused on DEATH
    instead of focused on LIFE
    Use you all up
    stab your heart with a KNIFE!

Clergy BUGGER your children
    They SQUANDER your cash