Letter severing ties with JW family

by bigwilly 27 Replies latest members private

• bigwilly
    bigwilly

I justed registered recently, but have been out for over 10 years. I have been involved with other forums and groups off and on over the last year. My wife (never a dubby) has been very supportive and helped me locate the local Meetup group. That group provided much needed support and helped my wife & me appreciate that others have experienced what I have. Recently the Meetup group disolved and I was referred to this site by a few of the membersfrom the Meetup. I spent a little of my work day (alot actually) browsing around. I wish I had known of this long ago. this seems to be a very warm and welcoming group of people, and i think you all provide good advice and support for one another.

In August or September, I made a decision to sever all ties with my family (with the exception of a select few such as mys sisters and a cousin or two) and wrote a fairly strong letter th my "parental units" who are still in. I realize that this is fairly agressive but hope all will understand that this was the result of 10+ years of emotional yo-yoing.

B___ and M___,

Originally this letter was going to be much longer and detailed. I was going to make an attempt to help you see what I have been through in the last ten years and what our relationship has been and meant to me during that time. I intended to help you understand who I am, and how I came to be this person. In light of recent events however, this correspondence will be much shorter and less cordial.

Apparently there is no room in your narrow scope of reality for you to appreciate how your actions affect other people, in particular your children. I say this for a number of reasons. For instance, over the last ten years you have subjected my sisters and I to what can best be described as an emotional yo-yo. You have varied wildly between “we love you, you are our children” to a stance that could be phrased “we can’t talk to you, you are the spawn of Satan”. We have endured this treatment and been far too forgiving because we were raised believing as you do. By this I mean that we understood where you were coming from as we were also taught to shun those who left the “truth”. In truth, it would have been much better had you chosen one stance or the other. Due to this erratic behavior, we have all suffered from a variety of issues around social and personal interactions. It has taken an enormous amount of support from those who truly care about us to achieve any level of self-confidence or ability to allow ourselves to be loved unconditionally. All people have a right to be loved for who they are, not who someone thinks they should be. All three of us have turned out to be wonderful and caring people; we are not evil as you would have us believe. We are not the defective failures you would paint us to be.

The failure is your own. You are so focused on what your religion dictates and what you want to be true, you have lost your only children. While you may still have some semblance of communication with one or more of us now or in years to come, the damage you have done can never be repaired. I am writing this letter to you because I am no longer willing to stand by and wait for you to come around. For the last ten years I have waited for you to realize that I will never be the perfect little clone you wanted me to be. I have given you opportunity after opportunity to be true parents instead of religious fanatics that gave birth. The entire system of shunning and cutting off communication with those who don’t follow your prescribed way of life is flawed. It works on the belief that the shunned person will be so miserable, lonely and weak away from their faith, “family and friends” they will come running back. The flaw is this, what if the shunned person isn’t miserable? What if they aren’t weak? What if the “family and friends” and alleged support group fail to provide the support and draw? These are legitimate questions. The real problem you have is your children are not weak. We are not miserable. We are not the mindless drones and “sheep” you wanted us to be. Instead of accepting this, you have clung stubbornly to a ridiculous expectation that we should and would be the weak, miserable sheep you need us to be. It’s unbelievable to me that, after ten years of the same bullsh_t, you still expect the same pathetic actions to miraculously produce different results. It seems painfully obvious to me you would get better results beating your head against an unyielding wall. Without directly telling you that I have no interest in returning to your way of life, I have tried to communicate to you that I have become my own person. You have no interest in your children or who they really are; all you see is our failure to become what you would have us be.

Why now? You may ask. Why this sudden outburst? This is not sudden; it has been building for ten or more years. You have never been open to the possibility that you may be wrong. We have catered to your needs and frailties. We have avoided direct conversations and confrontations because we wanted to keep you happy. But how long can you live a certain way just to keep your parents happy? How long can you tell them what they want to hear? How long can you deny who you are when your parents come to town? You have no interest having a relationship with us. You only wish to counteract the embarrassment you have incurred by not having the “perfect Christian family”. We are nothing to you.

The motivation for this letter has been several things. Even prior to your refusal to attend my wedding (filled with discussion about how family was the most important thing and attempted reminiscence of our childhood) I had tired of the emotional games and abuses you had subjected us to. Included with this letter is a 4 CD set I have been working on for over 4 years. The music on the discs expresses the feelings and thoughts that I have. I have not included the words, as you would only read the lyrics. Much of the message is in the delivery as well as the words. I have no misconceptions of you ability to actually listen to and understand the music and the message I am trying to impart. I only hope that you will at least make an effort to comprehend what is being said. I have also intended to write you a letter for an extended period of time; I have somehow allowed myself to be lured into a false sense of hope that you would mysteriously change over the years. On my own I have been able to “forget” the reasons to send you the CDs and letter as you were only f_cking with me. I can “forgive and forget” (so to speak) when it comes to trespasses against myself. The turning point for me was when you felt it was ok to pull the same sh_t with the next generation. You have no right to drag a beautiful person like M___ (your one and only grandchild) into the same f_ked up reality you have forced upon your children. What makes you think that you are in any way entitled to a relationship with her? Was it my decision, she would be told that she had no grandparents on her mom’s side. There is no way I would allow you anywhere near her, or allow you the opportunity to f_k her up the way you did us.

The next contributing factor to the writing if this letter is the correspondence M___ had with S__ today. I cannot believe you had the audacity to blame S___ for the emotional and physical abuse you have inflicted on her. What gives you the right to treat anyone, especially your children, this way?!?!?!?

To sum it up in words you will understand, I want nothing further to do with you. I don’t want to hear from you, I don’t want to see you; I don’t even want an e-mail from you. You are dead to me. If (for some f_ked up reason) you feel the need to respond to this letter, or feel you want to be parents to me, don’t. If you still feel the same way a year from now (with no wavering in opinion or change in judgment) DON’T CALL ME! Try waiting 5-10 years. You have made the decision to chose your church over your children, let them take care of you when you are old and broken.

This is it,

K___

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

Glad to see this letter on a separate thread. I think it's very valuable and expresses what a lot of us here at jwd feel. The emotional rollercoaster ride you describe is something many of us have been on for longer than necessary. Thank you for sharing this with us. I know it's helped me already.
    tall penguin

• Why Georgia
    Why Georgia

Welcome.

Your letter is extermely powerful and I hope it was also empowering to you.

I am sorry for how you and your siblings have been treated. I have seen similar behavior in my husbands witness family and it is heartbreaking.

I hope these actions will bring you the peace you deserve.

WG

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

Thats powerful stuff BW.

Ive thought of writing much the same kind of thing to my Parents ..in fact,replace the names and it would be pretty much word for word identical!

But i wont.At least not yet.

All the best to you.

• bigwilly
    bigwilly

I'm glad this letter has provided some help. It took alot of time and thought to get it done. It also took a few strong homebrews and some good music to actually write the letter. When you spend that many years stuffing your emotions, it's hard to reach in there and sqeeze the words out that you need.

In the letter I refer to 4 CD's, if anyone is interested I can type up a track listing of what I sent. The names of the discs are;

1) F__k You...

2) ... And The Church You Rode In On...

3) ...I Will Not Repent...

4) ...Period!

The copies they actually received didn't have these names on them, they were simply labelled #1-#4.

Big Willy

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

I love your CD names! Can you please post your track listing? Or pm it to me. I'd love to know what songs you chose. And kudos to you for using music to express yourself. Sounds like something I'd do.
    :) tall penguin

• bigwilly
    bigwilly

I will post the track listings tomorrow, I don't have the listings with me. Gald you liked the idea.

Big Willy

• hallowedbethyname
    hallowedbethyname

one of the best letters I have read.

hope you find some healing and closure in this.

cheers

HBTN

• bigwilly
    bigwilly

As promised, here are the track listings. Enjoy! Big Willy F__K YOU 1)Sleep To Dream - Fiona Apple 2)Hush - Tool 3)Loyalty - American Head Charge 4)Down With The Sickness - Disturbed 5)Disposable Teens - Marilyn Manson 6)Sh_tlist - L7 7)Just Like You - Three Days Grace 8)Last Resort - Papa Roach 9)Mudshovel - Staind 10)Feelings - The Offspring 11)Re-arranged - Limp Bizkit 12)The Way I Am - Eminem 13)Tainted Love - Marilyn Manson 14)For You - Staind 15)I Hate Everything About You - Three Days Grace 16)Killing in the Name - Rage Against The Machine 17)Wrong - Ministry 18)Jerk-off - Tool 19)Walk - Pantera ------------------------------------------------------- AND THE CHURCH YOU RODE IN ON 1)Ezekiel 25:17 - Pulp Ficton Sound Track 2)Been There Done That - Dr. Dre 3)Institutionalized - Suicidal Tendences 4)Personal Jesus - Marilyn Manson 5)Psalm 69 - Ministry 6)Holier Than Thou - Metallica 7)Judith - A Perfect Circle 8)Opiate - Tool 9)Thieves - Ministry 10)Bad Religion - Godsmack 11)The God That Failed - Metallica 12)Schism - Tool 13)Freedom - Rage Against The Machine 14)Fornicator - Rorschach Test 15)Super-Charger Haven - White Zombie 16)Satan - Rorschach Test ------------------------------------------------------- I WILL NOT REPENT 1)Burn - Nine Inch Nails 2)Outside - Staind 3)Don't Come Around Here No More - Tom Petty 4)Rise Above - Black Flag (Chuck D & H Rollins) 5)Burning Inside - Ministry 6)Army of Me - Bjork 7)The Only - Static-X 8)Sober - Tool 9)Swing Harder - Headstrong 10)Break Stuff - Limp Bizkit 11)I Want To Fucking Break It - Static-X 12)Violence Fetish - Disturbed 13)Fight Song - Marylin Manson 14)This Is Now - Hatebreed 15)No Values - Black flag (Hank III) 16)This is not - Static X 17)Get in - Headstrong 18)Shock - Fear Factory 19)Oracle - Kitty 20)Enemy - Static-X 21)Leave Me Alone - American Head Charge -------------------------------------------------------- PERIOD 1)I Will Survive - Gloria Gaynore 2)My Way - Sid Vicious 3)I Won't Back Down - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers 4)Settle For Nothing - Rage Against The Machine 5)Me - Staind 6)Unforgiven - Metallica 7)Cleaning Out My Closet - Eminem 8)Survivor - Destiny's Child 9)Fighter - Christina Aguilera 10)Intolerance - Tool 11)New Pain - Static-X 12)Du Hast - Rammstein 13)Keep Away - Godsmack 14)I'm The One - Static-X 15)My Way - Limp Bizkit 16)Get Away - Earshot 17)Peace Minus One - Rorschach Test 18)Straight Hate - Bloodsimple

• bigwilly
    bigwilly

Wow did that ever turn out ugly! I swear it was all neat and pretty when I put it in. really! I Swear! Big Willy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit