they just called on me

by pc 29 Replies latest jw experiences

• pc
    pc

An older woman and a younger woman with a baby in a stoller knocked on my door. My house is so decorated with spider webs,pumpkins,skulls,gravestones, etc. When I opened the door the crawling hand and candy dishes started thier seperate sounds and music, I just started to laugh.

She didn't introduce herself as one of Jehovah's Witnesses, she said she was doing volunteer work. She asked me about the up coming elections(I'm in CT, USA) and "did I think man could solve the problems we have". I said "I think some people are really trying to do the right thing". I really started to feel sad for her.

She seemed very nervous. She tried to leave the Watchtower with me and I said I don't need it. I said "I read the bible own my own and do not need any other literature to go along with it". She said "isn't hard for you to understand it"? I said "no I find by praying for understanding it becomes completely clear". She just kinda of looked at me dumb founded. I just said bye and have a nice day... I felt so wierd!! I use to always engage them and tell them about my past, but know I just think to myself how sad I feel for them....

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

Thats interesting PC, sometimes its better to take the high road hey?

GBL

• luna2
    luna2

I can almost picture your house with all the decorations. I can remember going door to door during holiday time and thinking how fun it all looked, but I know I was mostly in the minority.

Right now, I'm still in the irritated place with JWs but I try to be polite. I'm sure feeling sorry for them will come soon. Mostly, I just don't have the energy to engage them in any sort of debate. I'm not sure why.

• undercover
    undercover

You could have fun with any JWs who try to use "upcoming elections" as a talking point:

JW "Have you kept up with the upcoming elections?"

AHH (apostate householder) "Why yes I have. I think it's going to be an interesting campaign for the incumbent"

JW "Well, do you really think that man has the capabilities of solving all the world's problems?"

AHH "Well, of course not, I mean look at the challenger, he's an idiot...if he wins we're all screwed. What do you think?"

JW "Well, the Bible foretold a time when...."

AHH "Hold it a second...are you selling religion? I thought you were here to talk about the elections?"

JW "Well, I'm one of Jehovah's Witnesses and we're spreading the good news of God's Kingdom...

AHH "Well, that's all well and good, but God ain't running for this office. Besides, don't you witnesses NOT vote?"

JW "Yes, we remain neutral when it comes to political...

AHH "No you don't. You just knocked on my door and asked about the elections."

JW "Well, we are comparing man's rule to God's..."

AHH "And you used the elections to campaign for your ruler. I find you're tactic unethical and distasteful."

JW "Well, I didn't mean to upset you. We think that man can't rule himself as the Bible says at...."

AHH "I don't want you reading scripture at me. You just tried to deceive me into a religious discussion using politics. I happen to believe in separation of church and state and I don't even like talking about both subjects at the same time. Good day to you."

JW <puzzled expression>

• blindersoff
    blindersoff

Undercover-----

That was funny.

• defd
    defd

pc

you sure showed her.

• sweet tee
    sweet tee

A very human reaction pc. Now you know how the householders used to feel when we were at their door. It's a ridiculous way to sell magazines anyway. I feel bad for them too ... every time I see those cars in the KH parking lot I just shake my head. And when I see them pio. strolling through the neighborhood I just think ... what a wasted life . I hope they all wake up one day soon.

sweet tee edited for sp

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Seems like a million calls being made every day, offer the mags, if they say no make a quick exit. This lady seemed surprised at your reasoning comments. She was either new to the game or had done it so long that she could not bother to try and start a real conversation. Since you say she seemed nervous, probably fairly new. A real "On the ball " dub would have picked up on what you said.

I have always wanted to have a call , in a situation where I would not be recognized. Given what I know now, I would try some "Reasoning from the Scriptures"

It is amazing that the approach i exactly what you could expect in the U K too

Undercover, that was brilliant and quite correct in your reasoning.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    you sure showed her.

Two points:
    1) As best I can tell, She wasn't trying to "show her". She has moved on from the "prove you wrong" stage of leaving the Watchtower to the "oh, you poor wasted life" stage. It's progress.

2) You'd be surprised what wakes a person up. One user on JWD was brought out by a billboard that simply said, "607 BCE?!?" For me, that wouldn't have meant a thing. But it caught his eye, he did some research, and realized the 607 date was baloney. He got out. Different points appeal to different people. Here's a woman that says she understands the Bible perfectly well with the help of prayer. That stands in contrast to the normal JW view of people that they read the Bible but don't understand it. It may put her on the path to questioning other things, and lead her on out.

Dave

• sweet tee
    sweet tee

Good points Dave. You never know what impact you may have on others.

bb - Being nervous doesn't necesarily mean she was new. Some people just aren't good at the doors or just don't really like it anyway and are doing the best they can to earn their way into the borgs good graces. Sad, very, very sad.

defd - Where is the joy?

sweet tee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit