Sabotaging one's life...

by Frog 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Frog
    Frog

I think that if I don't take the time to post this one out of me I may very well implode:(

Gosh I feel so bloody awful at the moment, and I apologise for laying this on my friends here when I know you all have your own ordeals to deal with.

I've been feeling intensley anxious lately about going home to visit my family at the end of the year. There's going to be a bit of a family reunion in my home town, which will mainly consist of my immediate family (my never been baptised brother, my disfellowshipped self, and my fence sitter baptised father) and my uncles family (once an elder of 20years, my aunty, their two 20somethings sons who've never been baptised, and my cousin who like me was diss'd a few or so years ago). It's just the strangest things that's developed over the past year or so, basically my once elder uncle has invited me back into his home with open arms. They've asked me co-ordinate a family holiday for us to all go away over a weekend to the Island while I'm up there, and have me booking flights for everyone, and are telling me how excited they are to be having everyone home. It's just been all a little too overwhelming for me, considering they have always been so hardline before, and it makes me intensley nervous. My aunty sent me a text message to ask me to if she call call me at home that night to discuss something. My immediate (sounds irrational, but is rational to me) feeling was that her and my uncle had talked about the situation and were retracking their offer in good conscience. This is of course was far from the case when she called, she just had more flights for me to book, and more talk of how excited she was that we were all going to be home. I've dwelled on it since then, and last night was incredibly upset about the whole thing. It seems like I'm sabotaging my life when good things come my way, but I find the situation so intensley confusing emotionally. It just feels like I'm walking a fine line where they could give or take me at any moment. I decided to call my uncle last night (in a pretty distressed state mind you) and we spoke for an hour about the whole situation. I believe I articulated myself very well, and he understood very well where I was coming from. We had a few debates which I was careful not to delve into too much, because I have no intention of making clear my intense anti-jw feelings, especially on the matter of shunning. I just told him that I wanted to know how he and his wife justified it to themselves to start associating with their children again, and with me considering I'm not even an immediate family member. I told him that while I personally do not believe there is any reason for it to be any other way, I am all too well aware of how they feel on the subject, and I asked him for an explanation. I told him that I wasn't prepared to put myself in harms way, and I wanted to know if it was a consious decision on their part, or just a matter of weakness and common sense that had created the change in them. He basically told me that they had been forced to compromise, and with that comes an element of hypocracy. He told me that he's not hiding it from anyone, and that it is for this reason that he is no longer and elder in a teaching position. He told me that of course he's not happy about it, but that the purpose of shunning, to put the person out so that they know what they're missing, in this case clearly hasn't worked. He told me that he still very much believes in the discipline of shunning, and believes that it does many people much good. Then went on to quote me an 80% recovery statistic of those that have left that return. I told him that I firmly disagree with him on this treatment, and that to me it is equivalent with abandonment in your childs greatest hour of need. It's like being a 'fair weather' family, went the going gets tough, they're out of there. I also told him that I believed that the main reason why good jw kids go off the rails in the first place, is because of the fear of failure and pressure they have on them their whole lives. He then went on to liken the situation with disfellowshipped children to heroine addicts (???). I told him not to go there, that the two situations don't warrant direct comparison. I told him that parents of heroine adicts would be mortified if they heard you reducing the intense horribleness of their situations to such that exists so unnecessarily within the jw faith. I had hoped that the conversation would give me some relief, but if anything is has riled me up further and makes me want to have nothing to do with people such as these (who I might add I love very much) who cannot accept that the treatment of me and thousands of you here on the forum is inexcusable. Even though he and his wife have found a way around it, he has sat on possibly hundreds of judicial committees and decided the fate of hundreds of young people who like me and my cousin for a time lost everything we'd ever known and everyone we'd ever loved. And despite being personally able to relate to the destruction that is causes in a family and to those children he can still sit their straight faced and tell me that he firmly believes that the organisation knows what is best. I left the organisation late 2001, was diss'd in May 2003, and with every passing month the anger for the injustice in me goes up another notch. It has consumed me completely now and I don't know how to find a way out of it. I'm supposed to be grateful for what I do have, my father, brother, and my uncle aunty and cousins (plus non-jw family members), but I can't forget the cruelty of having everything taken from me, and I can't accept that I've lost my mother, 2 older sisters, 2 younger sister, and younger brother. The problem of course is that I cannot possibly face these people even though they're welcoming me when they trivialise the causes of my pain and anger, and for a course that I feel so strongly about. If I continue to feel so strongly I'm going to sabotage the potential for anything good to come my way. I can't change these people's mindsets, god knows I've tried, and I try to respect their right to make meaning in whatever way they see fit, but at the end of the day I can't accept their position, as it is in direct oposition to mine. thinking of you all here, as always, luv frog xx

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

my dear (((((froggie))))),

i am really sorry that you are going through this. you don't deserve it, and it is quite rational what you are feeling, IMO.

a few thoughts:

- perhaps decline the flight booking thing for other family members. if they want to organize a family get together, then let them organize it.

- it's so hard to say, but it sounds as though your uncle and aunt may actually be putting family before the org, but he is wary to admit it, or admit he is having doubts. this may, or may not, be the beginning of the end for them. so maybe it is a good idea to still go. they would do well to see that they kids who left are not all so troubled.

- tell them that religion, and anti-religion, is off limits for the weekend, and that it's all about family. i'm sure they'll agree.

And i would also like to say that it sounds like you handled yourself awesomely! well done. it does suck that it drags up all this stuff for you, but even if it doesn;t turn out as well as hoped fir, it could be viewed as one step closer to emotional closure for you.

i hope that's not bad advice. on the one hand i think you should still go, but decline the organization aspect of it. and on the other hand, your life was going along fine, and i hate to see you upset like this. we can all agree, that you simply do not deserve it at all! (being upset)

so, in the end, if it is too much for you, then don't go. and don't feel bad about either desicion once you make it. sure you will be nervous if you go, but do not feel bad about going, or who you are.

take care, and best wishes,

josh

• skinnyboy
    skinnyboy

josh beat me to it!

sage words TS! I agree, you should have everyright to be suspicious, your not sabotaging you life, your safeguarding your soul from another barrage of emotional warfare. Why should you agree with something just for familys sake? We've all been there and got the crappy tee-shirt. Let them be I say, The thought of you putting yourself through it makes my stomach churn, let alone yours mate. Maybe its too soon for you to trust them to be just family, i would be wary.

big hugs (((((((((((ronnie)))))))))))))

mark

• dezpbem
    dezpbem

There's no need to add on to what TS said. It's all said already. I couldn't have put it better.

Dez

• fairchild
    fairchild

You seem to be in a tough place, dear. You probably should do what YOU want to do. Do you want to book the flights for everyone? Or do you think they should be responsible for themselves? Do you want to go to the reunion, or are you too nervous, perhaps afraid that they will lecture you?

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

((((((froggie))))))

Josh really gave you good advise but this has me worried:

The problem of course is that I cannot possibly face these people even though they're welcoming me when they trivialise the causes of my pain and anger, and for a course that I feel so strongly about. If I continue to feel so strongly I'm going to sabotage the potential for anything good to come my way. I can't change these people's mindsets, god knows I've tried, and I try to respect their right to make meaning in whatever way they see fit, but at the end of the day I can't accept their position, as it is in direct oposition to mine.

It seems to me to be unreasonable to sabotage YOUR life in reply to your family welcoming you. At some point you need to bury the hatchet. And you are right you can't change their mindsets. It may not be time for you now to meet them until you've worked out your anger issues, it would probably do no good if you can't meet them and be gracious, kind and friendly.

Possibly you should seek counseling to help you work through the anger you are feeling. Much better to work in a progressive state than go backward and sabotage yourself. Life is too short and you are too precious to waste your life like that.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Hi Frog,

I can definitely understand where you're coming from. I recently saw some Witness relatives in the hospital, and it is definitely emotionally draining to see the old mindset in action. At the same time, it does sound like part of your uncle is trying to break free. Of course, that doesn't make it easier to deal with the attitudes, but at least it helps you understand the situation, because you know what forces are at play in a still-indoctrinated mind.

Much good could come out of this. It sounds like much of your family is taking a public stand against the practice of shunning. If this continues into a grass-roots rebellion, there will be little that the organization can do to stop it. So, I guess my take is, hang in there, don't push yourself too hard, and I really hope everything goes okay for your during their stay.

Hugs,

SNG

• Why Georgia
    Why Georgia

Hello Frog,

I understand what you are feeling. Although I have never been a witness I have been shunned and treated badly when my husband stepped back from the WT.

I pretty much hate everything having to do with the WT. I am bitter about their invasion into my life, bedroom, thoughts etc!

I think this has made me hypersensitive at times.

Witnesses we know will say those Witnessisms...uplifting, annointed, field service, meeting etc and I just get mad and angry.

I don't allow my children near my husbands family because of their disrespect towards me in not mentioning the WT and beliefs around my children.

But....

My husband brought something to my attention the other day.

I don't get all pissy when my catholic friends bring up their caholicism at every turn.

So I guess I am just a big ol' hypersensitive hypocrite.

I just can't stand the WT and their followers anymore. They make me so angry for their beliefs.

I'm sorry this turned into such a selfish rant. But please understand I feel your pain.

WG

• TopHat
    TopHat

Show your family that you still love them and talk to them. Approach them in a loving manner and start a convasation by asking how they have been...make little jokes to make them smile...when they walk away from you...they have to see that it is they who are wrong and not you. In other words..prove to them you are not the one shunning them but them shunning you and what a unloving thing shunning is.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Frog, It sounds like you're confused. You write that you love people who you say are unlovable. Have you written out a balance sheet, listing all you have to gain and all that you have to loose? And what column are the gains and losses under? Are they under financial gains or loss? Or are they under the emotional rewards and losses column?
    Sometimes when I am looking at a situation through the lens of conflict, I look up the "Stages Of Moral Reasoning" and I inventory myself. What stage of reasoning an I in? Are universal principles applying? Or is approval from others more important? When I get stuck between stage 3 and stage 4, it's like I'm running inside a turning barrel.
    It sounds like you have an opportunity. Those of us who were long shunned and then a shunner quits shunning, (and I didn't do anything different,) are at first uneasy. The shunner kind of has to earn back our trust. That may actually take years. I think it's natural we look at it as a set up, since we have been set up so often before.
    If my losses in a situation are all on an emotional level, what do I have to loose? How much of my ego is tied up in other's treatment of me?
    I bet you are feeling you will be out of control once you get in the agenda of the situation. Here's how to beat that. #1. Don't go alone. #2. Have your own car or transportation that only you control 100% of the time. #3. You set your own agenda. #4. Leave anytime you feel overwhelmed or patronized. #5. If it's not fun, don't do it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit