Were the people I studied with just crack pots?

by caz 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• undercover
    undercover
    I bought a globe at a yard sale once. An elder and his wife came to visit and admired it, saying it was such a wonderful thing. Once they heard I bought it at a yard sale, the wife freaked out and gave me a lecture on why I should not buy second hand things. The 8 year old son who was with them loved that globe.

What if you bought the globe brand new from "Globes R Us"? What if the craftsman who built the globe, and then supplied it to retail stores, was a Satan worshipper? Wouldn't the globe still be "possessed"?

I've never understood the "don't buy at yard sales because you don't know who owned it before you" reasoning. What if the worker who put together the coffee maker you bought at Wal-Mart was "demonized"? What's the difference between that coffee maker and the one you bought from the yard sale?

• undercover
    undercover
    And let me tell you about the time she found my "Interview With the Vampire" book. She drug me out back and made me burn it and then lectured me for over an hour about my irresponsibility of bringing such satanized books into the house.

One of my JW relatives is married to a non-JW. When they moved into their new house, a lot of the family(mostly JW) turned out to help. The JW father of the married JW was moving boxes around when he found a stuffed voo-doo doll. Not a real one, if there is such thing. It was a gag toy. A novelty item. I saw them for sale in New Orleans one time. Anyway, the self-righteous JW father took the doll outside, doused it with gasoline and burned it. When asked what was doing, he commented that he wasn't going to have any demonized items in his grand-kids house if he could help it. The non-JW was incredulous, I was surprised myself. It's a gag gift, you dummy. The rest of the JW family nodded in agreement and commented that it was best to get rid of it and burning it was the only way to make sure it didn't fall into the wrong hands.

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

What was it about the table that caused these JW's to make such a claim?

• Cellist
    Cellist

One of the more extreme cases I've heard about involved vegetables. A "worldly" relative kindly gave a JW some fresh vegetables. Well, the family couldn't eat the vegetables because they were "demonized". So, they fed them to the pig. Which they later butchered and ate. My question is, if the veggies were demonized, wouldn't the pig then be demonized? This particular "sister" was an absolute nutter.

Cellist

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

When I was studying I bought a second hand dressing table, and the sister I studied with reckoned she could feel a demonic influence in my home! I was so keen then that I took it outside and burned it. A lot in my kh thought that way, including me at one time. That lunacy is one thing I will definitely not miss.

• greendawn
    greendawn

They definitely have a demon phobia and globally a lot of things, often totally innocent objects, were thrown out by them to prevent demonic attacks.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

What I find remarkable is that this notion is so popular at the local R&F level, yet very little has been published in the official publications that would support such superstition, of objects actually becoming "demonized". The word "demonized" occurs some 40 times in the publications, none of them being applied to objects and almost all to people, and most in references to the healings of Jesus and the apostles in the NT. The only suggestion that I can find is an article in the Awake! (22 May 1977, p. 26) on exorcism which quoted the New Catholic Encyclopedia as saying that exorcism is the "act of driving out or warding off demons or evil spirits from persons, places, or things that are, or believed to be, possessed or infested by them or are liable to become victims or instruments of their malice". The article took a negative view towards exorcism, yet the presumption that there are demons that can "infest objects" was tacitly accepted. The article gives this recommendation that seems to lie behind the many stories we have heard of "demonized objects":

***g77 5/22 p. 28 Should Christians Practice Exorcism? ***

Any individual who believes that he is under attack by wicked spirit forces should shun spiritism, divination and related practices. (Deut. 18:10-12).... Obviously, to resist wicked spirit forces, a person should guard against association with those who dabble in magic, witchcraft and the like. Instead, association should be sought with those who are true Christians. (1 Cor. 15:33) He should remove from his person and his home any object having any connection with demonic religion.

Moreover, the Society frequently quotes Acts 19:19-20 in support of their belief that anything connected with "spiritism" should be dispensed with. This does not necessarily mean that the objects themselves are demonized, but it is interesting that the Society applies this scripture loosely to anything they think is "un-Christian" and thus "demonic" such as comic books, videos, music, etc.:

*** g00 7/22 pp. 6-7 Why You Should Avoid Spiritism ***

The Bible explains: "Quite a number of those who practiced magical arts brought their books together and burned them up before everybody." (Acts 19:19) By destroying their books on divination, those new Christians set an example for all who wish to resist wicked spirits today. Get rid of all objects related to spiritism. This would include all books, magazines, comic books, videos, posters, material from electronic sources, and music recordings that have spiritistic overtones, as well as amulets or other items worn for "protection."

Still, the Society has not published any warnings about "used objects" and purchasing items at garage sales. In fact, the Society has taken a fairly positive view towards buying used appliances, furniture, and other items at flea markets, garage sales, and so forth, as it would assist JWs in living frugally (see 22 July 1984 Awake!, p. 7 which says "Garage or yard sales are also good places for picking up some inexpensive toys for the children"; cf. 8 December 1984 Awake!, p. 27, 22 February 1988 Awake!, p. 19). It seems that the R&F has extended the "warnings" in the literature to almost anything that could possibly have a connection with a person who formerly had been involved with "spiritism".

It is interesting that the Society became obsessed with the demonism question in the 1970s. This includes articles linking Yoga and trancendental meditation with demons (8 November 1975 Awake!, p. 11), demons and drugs (15 March 1973 Watchtower, p. 176), demons and witchcraft (15 August 1973 Watchtower, p. 485), demons and mental illness (22 May 1977 Awake!, p. 26), demons and funerals, weddings, pregnancies, circumcisions, illness, dreams (Unseen Spirits broshure, 1978, pp. 1-58), demons and water dowsing (22 June 1979 Awake!, p. 18), demons and hallucinations (This Life book, 1974, p. 85-88), a QFR on "demonic assault" (15 July 1974 Watchtower, p. 447), the several articles on the movie The Exorcist (22 September 1975 Awake!, p. 17; 8 December 1980 Awake!, p. 11-12), etc. Quite dramatic is the following story about a person who was plagued by demonic influences after watching The Exorcist:

*** g80 12/8 pp. 11-12 Breaking Free From Occult Power ***

"It was the most terrifying thing I have ever seen. It was horrible. I could feel something was happening to me. I was shaking all over and could only just manage to pick myself up from my seat to walk out. But this was only the beginning of my troubles. Returning home, I was ready to burst into tears. My husband offered me little comfort as he had told me not to go to see the film in the first place. How right he was! I could not sleep that night, dreaming about the film. During the coming weeks things went from bad to worse. I was frightened to go to bed and when I did I would wake up in a cold sweat. I knew there was something in my house, as I could feel it with me wherever I went. I felt I was going out of my mind. It occurred to me that if there were such evil forces there must surely be good ones too. So I started looking around for a cross that I could wear for protection. I also bought a St. Christopher medal for the same purpose. Each night I would hold them in my hand and pray, hoping that if there was a God he would help me. But things did not improve. In fact, they seemed to get worse....It was only when I finally disposed of all my pagan religious objects and charms that I experienced complete freedom."

It is interesting how such superstititions are widely held by the R&F and go further than what the Society states on the matter. I personally knew of one elder who was shocked that we watched the TV show Knight Rider, as it concerned a "demonic" talking car. He also believed that no Christian should watch Ripley's Believe It or Not because of its "spiritism". He believed that the television set was "Satan's Eye" and served as a conduit of demonic influence in the home. (He was a nutter; he also said in one Watchtower study that people who wear sunglasses must be masturbators because their unclean habit has damaged their vision)

• caz
    caz

What was it about the table that caused these JW's to make such a claim?

They were commenting on how lovely i kept it and they were wondering where I had got it from.

Because it was obviously an antique, I wonder now if they were thinking that it was 2nd hand all along and were just opening me up to this line of thinking?

I was living with an abusive man at the time and their idea was that the abuse might stop if the table went.......It didn't!

I'm having trouble believing all of these stories guys!!! ( I do though) but talking clothes? Demonised vegetable and the one to make me laugh...eating the pig later! Absurd teachings and beliefs hey?

• heathen
    heathen

That is strange how they know which items are demonized . I believe it possible that some things are possessed such as houses and hierlooms . I think things that are used in say, saunces,(however you spell that ) or in some sort of occult ritual can become demonized . Demons are tricksters and love to play those sort of games .IMO The WTBTS does go over board for fear of demons .

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

In my experience, some dubs were susceptible to this mind set and a lot of others were not. We never gave such things a second thought and have bought and sold lots of times at "Boot Sales" as we call em over here.

I only ever rejected one gift. A man with whom I was studying claimed to be seriously troubled by demons. He said he had been through a "Marriage" with a white witch and talked about such things regularly . I liked him and viewed him as a victim . One day he gave me a present of a second hand suit of clothes(Yeah right, just what I wanted!) . I would not have it in my house, I put it in the outside shed and disposed of it , I forget how, now, it was a long time ago.

Now I view him as disturbed, perhaps schizophrenic , but a harmless man. he just suddenly left the locality and I never saw him again

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit