What about Lamech's "wound"?

by Schizm 53 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Schizm
    Schizm

Would someone who believes in and respects the Bible as having been inspired by God like to attempt an explanation of this account regarding Lamech? Why do you think an account such as this is even in the Bible to begin with? We notice it says that a "young" man "wounded" Lamech. In what way do you think Lamech was "wounded" or given a "blow"? Was it a physical wound, or a mental wound?

Something that seems to be unique about this account is that the NAMES of Lamech's wives are given. Don't you think that odd? We aren't told the name of Noah's wife etc. So why are we told the names of Lamech's wives?

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts about this account.--Schizm.

Genesis 2:17-24

17 Afterward Cain had intercourse with his wife and she became pregnant and gave birth to E´noch. Then he engaged in building a city and called the city’s name by the name of his son E´noch. 18 Later there was born to E´noch I´rad. And I´rad became father to Me·hu´ja·el, and Me·hu´ja·el became father to Me·thu´sha·el, and Me·thu´sha·el became father to La´mech.

19 And La´mech proceeded to take two wives for himself. The name of the first was A´dah and the name of the second was Zil´lah. 20 In time A´dah gave birth to Ja´bal. He proved to be the founder of those who dwell in tents and have livestock. 21 And the name of his brother was Ju´bal. He proved to be the founder of all those who handle the harp and the pipe. 22 As for Zil´lah, she too gave birth to Tu´bal-cain, the forger of every sort of tool of copper and iron. And the sister of Tu´bal-cain was Na´a·mah. 23 Consequently La´mech composed these words for his wives A´dah and Zil´lah:

“Hear my voice, you wives of La´mech;
    Give ear to my saying:
    A man I have killed for wounding me,
    Yes, a young man for giving me a blow.

24 If seven times Cain is to be avenged,
    Then La´mech seventy times and seven.”

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

I've always though this was a weird blurb in the bible. Kinda weird like the account of Noah's sons and the "incident" after the flood. It just seems out of place.

Leo... any coments?

• Enigma One
    Enigma One

Yeah, I'm not sure, nor ever was, what this was all about.

• Schizm
    Schizm

Matt,

Kinda weird like the account of Noah's sons and the "incident" after the flood.

Of course the "incident" that you are obvously referring to is that of Noah's "nakedness". Some think that Noah's grandson sexually abused his own grandfather. Insight On the Scriptures, published by the WTS, actually advocates such an interpretation as that ... which I think is absurd.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    Of course the "incident" that you are obvously referring to is that of Noah's "nakedness"

That is the incident, but what I believe is weird about it is Noah's grown up sons act like and are treated like kids. Also its like a story that was just tagged on to the end of the flood. It seems soooo out of place at the end of the flood myth.

Matt

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

maybe there is more information ablout this in The Book of Enoch? has anyone actually read that? It's available online for free - I read the first little bit, seems really interesting.

Pope

• Enigma One
    Enigma One

I actually have the Book of Enoch. I'll take a look.

• Schizm
    Schizm
    What I believe is weird about it is Noah's grown up sons act like and are treated like kids.

I've copied the account below. How is it that you think Noah's sons "act like and are treated like kids"?

Genesis 9:18-27

18 And Noah’s sons who came out of the ark were Shem and Ham and Ja´pheth. Later Ham was the father of Ca´naan. 19 These three were Noah’s sons, and from these was all the earth’s population spread abroad.

20 Now Noah started off as a farmer and proceeded to plant a vineyard. 21 And he began drinking of the wine and became intoxicated, and so he uncovered himself in the midst of his tent. 22 Later Ham the father of Ca´naan saw his father’s nakedness and went telling it to his two brothers outside. 23 At that Shem and Ja´pheth took a mantle and put it upon both their shoulders and walked in backwards. Thus they covered their father’s nakedness, while their faces were turned away, and they did not see their father’s nakedness.

24 Finally Noah awoke from his wine and got to know what his youngest son had done to him. 25 At this he said:

“Cursed be Ca´naan.
    Let him become the lowest slave to his brothers.”

26 And he added:
    “Blessed be Jehovah, Shem’s God,
    And let Ca´naan become a slave to him.

27 Let God grant ample space to Ja´pheth,
    And let him reside in the tents of Shem.
    Let Ca´naan become a slave to him also.”

• Enigma One
    Enigma One

Hmmm...let's see the old man Noah gets all liquored up. One of his sons stumbles in on his sloppy drunk father...and then somehow he get's cursed. You know "that whole thing". Seems childish.

• gumby
    gumby

http://bible.crosswalk.com/?OVRAW=online%20bible%20dictionary&OVKEY=bible%20study%20tool&OVMTC=advanced

Here....do what many others do when they can't figure out the bible. Go to the learned men who rehashed this stuff enough times they came up with sumthin that sounds reasonable.

Gumby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit