Attention: Former Elders

by MsMcDucket 28 Replies latest jw friends

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

My children are shunning me because the dubs told them too. The scriptural reason they gave my children is that you're supposed to love Jehovah above all else. And the one about not speaking to a man who has turned from the road of righteousness (sp?).

So what I'm wondering is what did you tell children who were about to be disfellowshipped? Did you tell them to honor their parents? Or not? And if so, what scriptures did you use to show them that this was not disrespectful to Jehovah?

Do you see where I'm going? Do they tell children that are about to be disfellowshiped to honor their parents to stay in the truth? And then do they tell children whose parents are disassociated to dishonor their parents because they're "not in the truth"?

I'm not sure what I'm trying to get at myself, but when it comes to disfellowshipping, it's got to be something wishy-washy going on with the way they're using the scriptures.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Generally there was nothing special said. The meetings and publications have most all of the instruction.

At shepherding calls we might have "encouraged" an individual, but there was never any direct interferance between family members. We used publications, rather than scriptures, which should be telling in and of itself. Any admonition was usually that relations be restricted to necessary family business, but no special shunning except for avoiding any "spiritual" talk.

Of course some areas were far more extreme. You might be facing a case of an Elder going beyond the law. It's not uncommon.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

It also does depend on the congregation and the body of elders. Itried NEVER to interfere in family matters

• sf
    sf
    what did you tell children who were about to be disfellowshipped?

What I was told at age seventeen, at my JC Hearing, is that Satan would now be the only one hearing my prayers. That I was indeed dead in Jehovah's eyes and my prayers to him would be null and void.

That was the second time the WT Men raped me spiritually in my lifetime.

Incidently, my mom ended up marrying the one elder who sat on the committee and endorsed those statements. She is still married to him.

sKally

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Wow, good point. One I have never thought of that. It's all very painful. I hope your kids don't listen.

• sf
    sf

OMG!!! It just hit me!

She married one of my rapists..after he raped me!

That is profound. I'm sitting here in shock. It just hit me!!

She married one of my rapists that spiritually gang banged me!

OMG!!

No wonder....

It's all becoming more clear now...my deep seeded emotions {rage} for her.

Holy Toledo!

She married him!

I'm becoming a bit numb right now with this realization.

sKally

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

I also didn't interfere. The rules are - if the children and parents are living in the same household, then you can have limited association with them (you just can't have spiritual discussions) but if the children are out of the house or the parents/children don't live together, then you should have no association with them other than necessary family business. Depending on the family, then that term itself 'family business' is either intepreted loosely or rigidly. In my case, my family interprets rigidly and has decided that I am deceased, therefore, there will never be any family business......and yes, now it's much easier to see how scriptures used are taken out of context or re-invented to suit the WT needs.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

(((((((sf)))))))))

it's all so F-ed up...

ts

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

sKally Keep breathing

I'm going to PM you

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

When my sister was DF'd in the mid eighties, we as a family were not permitted to see her. However, I recall that a watchtower around the late eighties / early ninties recinded that. it was okay to have limited family association, spiritual matters aside. steve

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit